Creon

S

Shar67

No when normal runny meet constipation there is a medical name for that, which I cannot remember, will ask my sister she told me it (she is a nurse)
Also if you gave your gall bladder out it changes your poop, the colour tends to be lighter.

Reactions: Pammy_50
S

Shar67

If you are constipated try sitting with your back straight leaning forward towards kness, your kness need to be higher than your hips, you can do this by going on tip toe or using a footstool to rest feet on

Siesta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

I don't think that I'm classified as a 3c, but I do share similarities with your condition.
My pancreas was removed a while back, which is the reason why I'm diabetic and have to take Creon to process the food I eat.

I'm sure many of you have to take Creon as well.

I would just like to know how much Creon (or similar) do you approximately need? I take 1 25000 lipase unit capsule for 4g of fat I eat, and it seems to work for me if I eat relatively low fat food. High fat foods (chocolate etc.) don't get digested at all in larger (more than 40g) quantities.

Also, how many capsules do you end up eating per day on average? I rarely go below 25...

Siesta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I have just found this site .. I am currently really struggling with my diabetes control .. But like you I have had my pancreas removed I had a full whipples operation a long time ago and they also removed gall bladder / duodenum .. Consequently I take creon / insulin and really struggle sometimes .. I take creon usually 4 with meal / 2 with snack but recently just tend to graze on low fat snacks bit his just makes my sugars stack up !!! I also suffer with really bad reflux some days ! I am finding this thread so interesting and hoping to pick up some tips :) thanks .. I used to fake nutrizym but found the creon easier to break down .. Thanks :)

Reactions: 2 people

Siesta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Is it acid or bile reflux, do you take any meds for it?
Hi ! I had an endoscope and they said bile reflux but I think a bit of both as my oesophagial showed acid damage too .. I take copious amounts of ranitidine and omeperazole but sometimes it just flares up ! It's awful! I have blocks under my bed and sleep almost sitting up !! Ha ha !

S

Shar67

I knew the feeling omeprazole made me worse, I'm on pantaprazole, If I drink fizzy anything it tends to bring it on.
I've been in pain for the past couple of days, on the first day I had some salad, I took Creon before hand as I have trouble digesting leafy veg, later I felt sick, took some ciclizine then brought up the 2 open creon, I couldn't work out what was in my mouth, I presume it burst open as it reached my mouth. Anyway out they came then I had a panic attack thinking they maybe started dissolving inside oesophagus, drunk about 2 litres of water, which I knew wouldn't stay down but I hoped would wash any down.
Really scary when you realise how potent they are and how not having a functioning panc or no panc can easily turn a light meal I to something different

Mawalk48

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Im on 9 a day 25000 have been for over 20 years in reality i take 3 a day and i eat anything and everything and dont have any problems

M

mrspuddleduck

Because in some cases eg some people who have CF it is sometimes suggested that the capsule is opened and sprinkled on their food and in other conditions its recommended that you don't do it due to the short life of the enzymes. So it would depend on the individuals circumstances. Saying that I'm told they taste disgusting!!:)

grand mort

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
The label says take them before, I find if I take them before, during and after it works, it is trial and error
The label instructs you to take them before eating. If you take them after eating you might as well throw them down the toilet. as they will have no effect. Any way they made me very sick so i stopped taking them and two weeks later i started feeling human again.So i would say that i was miss diagnosed by one off the brilliant doctors over here. Any way the problem is fixed but i am not happy that i had to endure extreme sickness from the side effects i got from Creon.

S

Shar67

The label instructs you to take them before eating. If you take them after eating you might as well throw them down the toilet. as they will have no effect. Any way they made me very sick so i stopped taking them and two weeks later i started feeling human again.So i would say that i was miss diagnosed by one off the brilliant doctors over here. Any way the problem is fixed but i am not happy that i had to endure extreme sickness from the side effects i got from Creon.

Yes that's what the label says but like most things in life as I have already stated it is trail and error, it also depends how fast you stomach empties, how much normal digestion you have and lots of other things that may be different for other people.

S

Shar67

This thread has just made my day

Pancreagenic malfunction does have a terrible affect on your poop, mainly you spend a lot of time on loo and usually you dont get much warning like I need to go means NOW not in 10 seconds.
The good thing is like this site you find lots of people with similar problems and how we try to get poop as normal as we can.
I'm part of a Facebook group and we celebrate normal poops (very rare) it makes your day if you can boost about your sh*t
Steatorrea google it, it's not nice and the stink is indescribable :wideyed::eek::doctor::dead:

IZ THE LEG END

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!!!
Pancreagenic malfunction does have a terrible affect on your poop, mainly you spend a lot of time on loo and usually you dont get much warning like I need to go means NOW not in 10 seconds.
The good thing is like this site you find lots of people with similar problems and how we try to get poop as normal as we can.
I'm part of a Facebook group and we celebrate normal poops (very rare) it makes your day if you can boost about your sh*t
Steatorrea google it, it's not nice and the stink is indescribable :wideyed::eek::doctor::dead:
Oh I have no doubt, please don't think I was laughing at it, it was just some of the responses tickled me as they were pretty graphic no offence intended

ANF

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, have just signed up. Had a Whipples 6 yrs ago & have only just been diagnosed. Was told my readings hadn't really changed but official guidelines had which placed me as a type 2 diabetic. Having struggled with Creon dosage since 2010 it is wonderful to read all the comments on this forum, as I had the maximum dose of radiotherapy in 1995 in the digestive area there was already considerable damage to the digestive tract before the whipples. Hadn't heard of the type 3 category before so will follow some of the links. Feel very glad to still be alive so. Since the removal of the 40000 creon I seem to have to take endless 25000's before a meal. I have difficulty keeping weight to 7st 6ozs as have a fairly active lifestyle.

anniehi41

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Pump
Hello ANF and welcome to the forum.

I am one of the pancreas-less ones and I know what you mean about taking Creon 25000. I feel full before I have had my food . I tried to find out why the Creon 40000 have gone off the market but all I can find out is that it takes a whole pig's pancreas to make the 40000 strength, seems a bit of a mystery. I am just about keeping my weight steady now after losing about 4 stones after my operation, can't digest vegetables or fruit now. My dietitian has suggested me following a diet cutting out fermentable foods and has given me a list of what I can and cannot eat, strawberries are ok but not cherries, no onions, gluten free bread and so on. I will try it for six weeks and see if it helps.