Crisco

SweetHeart

For anyone not familiar with Crisco it's an American vegetable shortening. I've used this for some time now, but if we're low carbing, can we still use it? Below are the nutritional values - they look good to me until I get to the ingredients and here I'm in two minds; it's pure vegetable, so that's good right? BUT look at the ingredients, do they look good? There's that word 'hydrogenated' which is now an alarm bell to me. Opinions from experienced Low-Carbers would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Julia

CRISCO BUTTER FLAVOUR

mount per Serving
Calories 110
Calories from Fat 110
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 12g18%
Saturated Fat 3g16%
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 6g
Monounsaturated Fat 2.5g
Cholesterol 0mg0%
Sodium 0mg0%
Total Carbohydrate 0g0%
Protein 0g
Vitamin A2%Vitamin E15%
Not a significant source of dietary fiber, sugars, vitamin C, calcium and iron.

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

Ingredients:
SOYBEAN OIL, FULLY HYDROGENATED PALM OIL, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED PALM AND SOYBEAN OILS, MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, TBHQ AND CITRIC ACID (ANTIOXIDANTS), BETA CAROTENE (PRO VITAMIN A) ADDED FOR COLOR.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Looks evil to me, hydrogenated oil is TRANS FAT despite what it says about 0% trans fat and hydrogenated oils are banned in several European countries but not the UK.

The only calorific value seems to be from fat and that fat is hydrogenated which they appear to be hiding from the nutritional information. Personally I wouldnt go near it with a proverbial barge pole :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Real whole food is always best and you know exactly what you are eating :thumbup: The more a food is processed and messed about with generally the worse it is going to be for you nutritionally.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Swap it for lard, or butter.

But avoid Crisco like the PLAGUE!

WhitbyJet

Nice to see that for once there are no disagreements, CRISCO is bad news, dont use it.
Use butter, lard or coconut oil instead.

SweetHeart

Aha! Thought it sounded too good to be true! I have bought unsalted butter today instead - and it's cheaper!
It's all a bit tricky at first, this low-carbing. :crazy:

Thanks everyone. :thumbup:

Julia

ana34

Hi all, The post talking about the health risks from the product Crisco is totally right. I am currently doing my research project on Trans-Fat and aiming to become a dietician. Trans or Hydrogenated fat was first produced by the German scientist Whelheim Normann using cottonseed oil, heating it to 260 degrees changed the atomic structure of the oil which then became hard at room temperatures. He had no intention of using it as soap collaborating with the British soap company Joseph Crosfields & Sons which the patent ended up being brought by the America company Proctor & Gambler the Candle wax makers. After electricity came into play they realised that they needed to do something with the product before their decline and realised that the product had lard like qualities and so was born Crisco! Most house holds within the 19th Century used butter or lard as a main cooking ingredient and the facts are that there was little or no cases of heart disease within that era. After 30 years of the invasion of Crisco 500,000 deaths of heart disease was reported. It wasn't soley due to the Crisco product but the fact that the hydrogenation processes hadn't been patented in time for it to be taken on by so many other companies it became international.
reports of rising heart disease started appearing within America but it has taken until now for the American government to listen to the scientific facts that Trans-Fat Kills. I won't go on much longer but there has been extensive scientific findings into the effects of Trans-Fat on the body, causing Diabetes, Hypertension, heart disease, depression and even aggression. Due to the processing that alters the oils atomic state the oil cannot be digested and metabolised by the body, it is not natural, it invades our cells, polluting and intoxicating them. Its in everything from krispyKreme doughnuts ( even though they state 0% because of the fact they are adding other hydrogenated oils to the mix they are allowed by the government to lie!) Caburys chocolate, crisps, cakes and even gravy, McDonald, KFC, Pizza Hut are one of the main corporates.

ana34

PLease, Please look into this your selves it is killing thousands of people a year just through heart disease never mind, cancer, diabetes, brain damage and other reports of its detrimental effects. The UK Government know about the facts but its up to us to do something about it and stop eating these products, if there is no profit to gain by making them there will be no public source! McDonald's are a multi- billion profiting company that most probably pay off the government to sit on this information, 2g per day is stated to be the maximum allowed consumption yet one burger & fries and your over that. Imagine Candles wax hardening within the arteries of your body, hydrogenated fat killing us by the big profiting companies of today, I hope they bloody eat it themselves ten fold and see the results!

Defren

Just looked it up, it is extremely high in calories and fat, even in small amounts. I wouldn't touch it, and that's without all the above comments.

BeccaJaneStClair

As an American, I grew up with Crisco being called for in loads of my recipes...since moving here and finding it hard to get the product I've swapped to using Stork anytime a recipe calls for Crisco, and I've not had any problems yet!

Plus Crisco is full of fat....and it never expires. Also, it makes for a good make-up remover. LOL

SweetHeart

BeccaJaneStClair said:
Also, it makes for a good make-up remover. LOL

But what do you remove the Crisco with? :wink: :lol:

My tub of Crisco is languishing in the bottom of the fridge. I'm loathe to throw it out even though I know that it will never, ever, get used.

I was really pleased to find my favourite French butter on offer yesterday....nommmm!

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
SweetHeart said:
I'm loathe to throw it out even though I know that it will never, ever, get used.

Bin it with the utmost urgency!

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've swapped to using Stork anytime a recipe calls for Crisco, and I've not had any problems yet!

"The bad news... despite the improvements, hydrogenated fats still lurk in a number of foods, particularly:
Hard cooking fats - eg brands like Cookeen and Stork."

(http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/wellbeing/1 ... s-fats-in-)

Well done on the no problems yet ! Not sure if you mean health-wise or baking-wise :shock:

Geoff

BeccaJaneStClair

Stork Nutritional Info:

Allergen Information

Contains: Lactose, Milk

Ingredients

Vegetable Oils, Water, Salt (1.75%), Buttermilk, Emulsifiers: Mono- and Di-glycerides of Fatty Acids, Flavourings, Vitamin E, Citric Acid, Preservative: Potassium sorbate, Colour: Beta-Carotene, Vitamins A & D.
Dietary Information

Suitable for Vegetarians
Nutritional Data
Nutrition
Typical values per 100g per 10g serving (2 teaspoons)
Energy 2184kj 218kj
Energy 53kcal
Protein Trace Trace
Carbohydrate Trace Trace
of which sugars Trace Trace
Fat 59g 5.9g
of which saturates 14.8g 1.5g
Fibre Nil 0g
Sodium 0.7g 0.1g

Yes it still has quite a bit of fat in it, but compared to Crisco, it's still a better option.

Also, your link didn't include a date -- I tend to not trust articles that don't list dates as it's not known if the information in the article is recent.

BeccaJaneStClair

Interestingly, Crisco's website claims Crisco does not contain any trans-fats:

Serving Size 1 Tablespoon (12g)
Amount per Serving
Calories 110
Calories from Fat 110
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 12g18%

Saturated Fat 3g16%
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 6g
Monounsaturated Fat 2.5g

Cholesterol 0mg0%
Sodium 0mg0%
Total Carbohydrate 0g0%

WhitbyJet

Too much junk in it, what on earth do you want potassium sorbate and colour and goodness knows what else? Cook, roast, fry, bake with good natural, additive free, healthy fats, eg butter, unrefined coconut oil, lard, ghee, etc and food tastes much better too.
Crisco and Stork are rubbish as far as I am concerned.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I look at the ingredients list of these margarines and fats. If there are more than 5 or I need a degree in science to understand the list, I put it back. I apply this thinking to all foods. Stork may not have hydrogenated fats in it, but it has been heavily processed and so I dont use it.

We use lard, dripping and butter.

SweetHeart

I bought my Crisco originally because it was pure white. Before the diabetes diagnosis, I needed to make cupcakes with pure white frosting and lard is not substitute here because it tastes vile and it's too unctuous. For all it's faults, Crisco is ideal for this purpose and, although I'm not condoning it, it's probably no worse than shop bought frosting (that people seem to love)

So now I have a half a tub left and there are no birthdays that require cupcakes until August.

Julia

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
your link didn't include a date -- I tend to not trust articles that don't list dates as it's not known if the information in the article is recent.

Too much haste on my part :(

Unilever's own website shows how they started cleaning up their act in 2005, and pledge to remove all TFA's by 2012

http://www.sustainable-living.unilever. ... trans-fat/

Standing in the corner :oops:

Geoff

WhitbyJet

librarising said:
your link didn't include a date -- I tend to not trust articles that don't list dates as it's not known if the information in the article is recent.

Too much haste on my part :(

Unilever's own website shows how they started cleaning up their act in 2005, and pledge to remove all TFA's by 2012

http://www.sustainable-living.unilever. ... trans-fat/

Standing in the corner :oops:

Geoff

Still leaves all the other gunk in it. I make frosting using pure butter, coconut oil, cream cheese or mascarpone, so ok, its not perfectly white, but its additive free, the fats are healthy. Never bought ready made frosting before either.