crisps

alison1981

I just wondered what you lot have? Which ones would be safe for me to eat as a type 2? I can't give them up completely as I am a savoury person.

Thanks

Alison

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
I'm not 100% but I believe Monster Munch,Quavers,skips,space raiders etc cause less of a blood glucose spike as apposed to traditional potato crisps according to my best mate who has Type 1 and is a MAJOR crisp fan. (If I'm wrong then please don't shoot the messanger! :lol: )

sjmiles

I am a crisp addict but have had to curb this (and my chocolate addiction, but that is another story!) since being diagnosed type 1 20 months ago.

For a while I tried to continue to eat potato based crisps such as McCoys or Pringles but they just put my blood sugars up too much.

I occasionally have a small bag of walkers but have now fallen for the Snack-A-Jack "crisps". Now I know these aren't strictly crisps but they do some great flavours, particulary Sweet Chilli!

(I did try replacing crisps with Peanuts as my snack of choice but put so much weight on had to stop this as well!!)

MaryJ

again not strictly crisps but i like:

The Dormen Savouries Indian Korma
are made from lentil and seasoned with cinnamon, coriander & cumin flavours.

I've had mixed readings from them tho'

These ones below sent my BG too high:

The Dormen Savouries Mediterranean Tomato & Herb
are made from a yellow pea and delicately flavoured with onion, garlic & paprika.

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
I too am a savoury loving person.
I have not found any potato based anythings that keep my BG where I want it. Normal for a non-diabetic. Perhaps my pancreas is more shot that any of you but I just can't do any and don't.
After many years I make a simple cracker out of flaxseed meal, herbs, salt and parmesan cheese and dream I have what I knew for decades. I can also make a thin crust pizza out of the same sort of mix. Thinking I could make mini pizza biscuits out of this. Have become a very inventive cook.
Would be off to experiment but had a meal of cauli rice, pork rashers in home made spicy sauce with a red wine base and coleslaw and I am full up.
Life is good. :oops: :oops: :oops:

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
poppadum type crisps are not bad on the carbs front. M and S do a bag which is apx 40% carbs, so for 30g would be around 12g carbs which is not too bad in my opinion - perhaps have a low carb meal that evening to compensate if you want a bigger amount!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Mini puppadums have a most satisfying "crunch" and being made from Gram/pea flour are a bit lower in carbs.
Hana

Mothman

Dislikes
Raw tomatoes and arrogant people.
Sorry, but potato crisps have got to go. No good to you whatsoever. You can live without them and should do so for good if you are to help your diabetes and your health. They are my real problem, i crave them but havnt had one since last July. Terrible bad form of carbs for us T2s so try and give them up. It only takes 21 days to break a habit such as this. Bu**er the crunch, cucumber does this too.

Its all about a lifestyle change. Ime on a diet for the rest of my life as the problem aint going to go away unless they invent a 'miracle' cure. so please try and stop kidding yourself that crisps are ok cos they aint!!

You want to live long and prosper as Spock says, then eat well.

Andy

bedshaped2000

The best crisps i have found are the kids pom bears or the supermarket own brands saver bags. thry arent goog for you but they come in smaller bags so the carb will be lower

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
crisps were my thing - you can keep all your choc, cakes sweets but give me crisps! :evil:

I went cold turkey because I knew it was all or nothing - but now I do eat the odd bag of "potato snacks" quavers, wotsits, pom bears, hoola hoops, french fries - all these have about 11 - 13b of carbs - BUT ONLY the multi bags - the single bags are bigger and have far more carbs so be careful. buying multi bags may not be a good idea if you can't leave then alone - I do ok because to me they are not really crisps but they do keep me on the straight and narrrow - usually around my "woman time" when I get a craving.

If your not bothered about fat and calories pork scratching are GREAT! - no carbs and very crunchy and satisfying!

Topsec

Another treat that we have sometimes with a drink before dinner is cheese 'crisps' Put a slice of either Kraft processed cheese or sliced mild cheddar in the microwave on a piece of greaseproof. Zap for 1 minute, they will bubble as if they are going to explode. Take them out, leave a couple of minutes to cool and then break them into 'lacy' chunks. They're great and zero carbs. You have to like cheesy flavours obviously ;)

Haven't tried with other types of cheese but I'm sure they will all do the same thing.

Defren

Topsec said:
Another treat that we have sometimes with a drink before dinner is cheese 'crisps' Put a slice of either Kraft processed cheese or sliced mild cheddar in the microwave on a piece of greaseproof. Zap for 1 minute, they will bubble as if they are going to explode. Take them out, leave a couple of minutes to cool and then break them into 'lacy' chunks. They're great and zero carbs. You have to like cheesy flavours obviously ;)

Haven't tried with other types of cheese but I'm sure they will all do the same thing.

I've read some things like this on recipe sites. I think most hard cheese can be done this way, or even in the oven. I haven't tried them as corn snacks were my downfall and went cold turkey.

alison1981

Topsec said:

Wow those sound delicious :D

The other day I bought some weight watchers cheese crisps like wotsits and there are plenty in the bag so will satisfy a crisp addict like me.