Cure with Stem cells available

kencharlton

Good Morning all, although I am based in the UK I stumbled accross a company advertising cures for Diabetes T1 inthe USA.
I contacted them immediately and discussed my daughters situation, she is 14 and has been diagnosed with T1 for 15months.
They have stated that they can completely cure T1 by using "embrio stem-cells" I think I am correct with this statement.
I understand it is banned inthe UK and USA but is it banned purely as the stem cells come from embos or is it for other reasons.
The treatment costs $70,000 plus my travel from the UK to the clinic in the USA/Mexico , but if it works I will willingly sell my house to fund it .

does anyone have experience or heard of this cure , please ?

kind regards ken

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How very interesting.
I think perhaps someone like phoenix or yorksman can come back to you with an informative answer.
Embryos though?
It immediately conjures up big question marks doesnt it.

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi, i know nothing about this at all but no questions for id sell my soul to the devil to make one of my children well.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry to dash your hopes but however convincing the company seems to be don't be drawn in by their advertising.
It's false, and may be dangerous.
There is a lot of research into the use of stem cells for T1 cure but researchers still have a lot of problems to overcome including ongoing autoimmune attack and the body dealing with the transplant as a foreign body.
This article from the European Association for the Study of Diabetes (dated 2012) explains about the research .
At the bottom is a warning about these companies particularly those claiming to use embryonic stem cells.
http://www.diapedia.org/type-1-diabetes ... -therapies
On a more positive note you might JDFR is helping fund a US company that are looking to encapsulate stem cells. Here is a very recent press release.
http://www.jdrf.org.au/blog/2013/02/19/ ... evolution/

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So its a little bit like any other transplant in that the body thinks its foreign and tries to attack it?
Thanks again phoenix.

kencharlton

hi Pheonix I contacted the firm and sent them the link to the site stating this is a dangerous practice and causes cancer .
This is the response I have received so far.
Hi Ken,
I would be more than happy to have a Senior Consultant contact you and they can go into more detail as to why that information that you are reading is false. Would you like me to have someone call you?
Best,
Cxx Jxx

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you going to take the call?:smile:

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm sure all of us would love to think that they had found a cure , as the report says any such breakthrough would probably warrant a Nobel prize.
It would be interesting to know who the consultant is, his credentials and what he has to say. Much better if it were written down though.

I looked up the author and moderator of the article. They are both involved in T1 research.
author
http://diabetes.ufl.edu/research/meet-o ... inson-lab/
http://profiles.ucsf.edu/dennis.vanhoof
There are email addresses. I suppose you could also contact them.

Probably better to move on though. Diabetes has to be taken into account but it doesn't have to stop us. Have a look at the positive things people can do with T1 like Team T1
http://www.teamnovonordisk.com/

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Awful lot of money there too.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Roman

Hi
I can understand you wanting to do anything you can to help your daughter - my heart goes out to you.

There are many red flags to these types of treatments ..... not least that they are based in Mexico where the authorities are far more lax in their oversight of these types of companies.

Just consider this - if they really had the cure they claim they have they would be far more likely to offer it in an affluent part of the states where clients are more likely to have the $70,000 for the treatment. The world would be beating a path to their door.

There are many cruel and greedy people ready to part you from your cash - I would put a very large bet on this company being bogus. At the very least you would be subjecting your daughter to an experimental and potentially dangerous treatment ..... could you really take that risk ?

Sorry to sound so negative .... in your position I would be just as desperate to find a cure for my child.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

'It's a poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word'

Finzi

I agree with Roman 100%. If this is genuine, why isn't it all over the news? Why are they resorting to having to advertise on the Internet? Why haven't they won a Nobel Prize? Of course they want to get you on the phone to persuade you - they know you are vulnerable. If they'd made the scientific and medical breakthrough of the century, do you think they'd need to do that? As Roman says, the world would be beating a path to their door.

If, and its a big if, it was an immediately life threatening disease, and my child only had weeks remaining to live, I might be prepared to risk something like this on the grounds that I wouldn't have a lot to lose. Diabetes is NOT a life threatening disease. It's unpleasant, and I think in some ways teenagehood is probably the worst time emotionally to have it diagnosed, and yes, if she doesn't control it well it will affect her quality of life years down the line. But IMO none of that is worth risking her life for, or your family's financial security.

I have heard about promising research into cures from stem cells. They've been researching it for years, which is exactly how it should be. One day, hopefully in the not too distant future, scientists will be confident that they have found a cure. And when that happens, I am pretty sure it won't be based in a dodgy clinic in Mexico advertising over the Internet.

I wish you and your daughter all the very best in whatever you decide to do xxx

Type 2 on Metformin, diagnosed Jan 2013, ultra low carber, Hba1C at diagnosis 8% (11mmol), now between 5 and 6 mmol. 13kg lost so far :)

Very lost 101212

Playing on peoples emotions and getting them to part with their money in the process is quite frankly disgusting. Its a shame that this is allowed.

MattyK

I have seen an article ages ago about a man in Canada that had a pancreas stem cell transplant and was apparently free from insulin for 5 years. After the initial report nothing more was said and there was no follow up at all as to any side affects or ongoing treatment. It all sounded far to good to be true and you know what they say about that!
I was really disappointed, but thought that I would much rather wait for a robust cure.
I also thought that after 18 years could I just stop my daily routines of testing and programming my pump with carbs?
That said, for kids and young adults it would be fantastic to find a cure!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

EllisB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The use of stem cells to regenerate β cells is an area of active research. There is also research into creating stem cells from a patient's own cells. If these could be combined, it might be a very interesting development and you daughter may well see it in her lifetime.

For now, you would be best advised to keep your money and wait for the research to get to the human trials stage in reputable hospitals.