Cycling has helped a lot

Nigelh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
After many years off the saddle, I decided to dust off the old bike and get peddling. Its been around 6 weeks now and doing a couple of 20 mile rides a week.. and I feel great! Ive upped my carb intake a little to help with the extra demand on the muscles.. Today I had a tuna baton for lunch and a kebab for tea and I ate all of the pita bread.. (something i never used to do since diagnosis 18 months ago) I checked my bloods when I got off my bike tonight and its 4.2 so pretty chuffed with that. And ive noticed im more awake and have more energy! So if you are able to do the same, I say go for it.

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
I did the upping the carbs thing when I'd go for bike rides (of a similar distance), but it didn't make much difference if I did or didn't actually. I think there's something in the 'getting quicker at turning to fat-burning' after a while on LCHF. Although I tend to use the prospect of a long ride as an excuse to have a carb-heavy meal - usually breakfast. If I set off within an hour, I find I don't really spike. So that's nice.

Reactions: Nigelh

Nigelh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Have I really only just seen your response nearly 2 years later.. my bad. Hope you are still cycling. I stopped for a long while whilst we had a lifestyle change (sold our house & bought a narrowboat) But finally back in the saddle. Bloods have been great.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Have I really only just seen your response nearly 2 years later.. my bad. Hope you are still cycling. I stopped for a long while whilst we had a lifestyle change (sold our house & bought a narrowboat) But finally back in the saddle. Bloods have been great.
ooo, how are you finding the narrowboat, where are you moored, do you travel in it etc etc?

Nigelh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Loving it thanks.. weve been aboard for just over a year now. Currently on a marina in Cheshire and we go out cruising when time and weather allows. We might ditch the marina next year and do some long distance cruises. Our boat is an ex hire one which slept 9 people.. had two bathrooms too & three bedrooms, But ive changed the layout to suit us. Its a lot more spacious inside now, and has just one bedroom, one bathroom and Ive added a woodburning stove. The boat is 60ft long and just over 6ft wide.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Loving it thanks.. weve been aboard for just over a year now. Currently on a marina in Cheshire and we go out cruising when time and weather allows. We might ditch the marina next year and do some long distance cruises. Our boat is an ex hire one which slept 9 people.. had two bathrooms too & three bedrooms, But ive changed the layout to suit us. Its a lot more spacious inside now, and has just one bedroom, one bathroom and Ive added a woodburning stove. The boat is 60ft long and just over 6ft wide.
sounds wonderful. Toying with the idea when him out at work retires.