Cystitis symptoms and Sugar levels in urine

Jean594

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi all
Fairly new to this , I am on Metaformin tabs and low carb diet essentially . Recently had issues with passing urine frequently , and tingerling at the end quite uncomfortable. Also my urine smells very distinctive ! I don't have a blood glucose machine and haven't a clue as to my blood sugar levels but am wondering if I have got sugar in my urine which is causing the unpleasant experience . I drink as much water as I can , glass full first thing and throughout the day . I used to get cystitis but never needed antibiotics so haven't been to Drs . I have been rather bad recently with chocolate from Xmas but intend to stop . Bit concerned I am ketoxic ? What is your advice or has anyone else experienced this . Due for blood test soon as well , been 3 months since diagnosed.
Thank you for reading
Jean

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
None of us can diagnose you - the best thing to do is see your GP and get your urine tested for UTI's etc.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree about seeing the doctor. I would also urge you to buy a glucose meter. Without one you are working blind.

Jean594

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks guys , appreciate you can't diagnose , was just wondering if other folk had experienced similar symptoms . Think I might ring Drs tomorrow and get blood test done . Did ask for blood monitor but usual answer ! No
X

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I had cystitis it was not a tingling but a burning pain - agonising. If you try to drink as much as possible it might cause the symptoms to fade rather than become worse, but I'd try to get an emergency appointment by phoning the surgery first thing in the morning as you really do not want to end up having to go through the weekend with full on cystitis.

Bellatom

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thanks guys , appreciate you can't diagnose , was just wondering if other folk had experienced similar symptoms . Think I might ring Drs tomorrow and get blood test done . Did ask for blood monitor but usual answer ! No
X
I wasnt given a meter either so I purchased one of the internet , actually I saw a fab monitor in lidl today complete with lancets and 75 of the testing strips for £22.
However must warn you the strips are not cheap and I would look at the cost of lancets and strips as the cost can vary according to the machine you buy.
I will be going back to my GP and asking him to prescribe lancets etc as in my mind how on earth can I control my diabetes with diet when I have nothing to measure my glucose levels.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I will be going back to my GP and asking him to prescribe lancets etc as in my mind how on earth can I control my diabetes with diet when I have nothing to measure my glucose levels.

Good luck with that one!

Nidge247

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
hi all
Fairly new to this , I am on Metaformin tabs and low carb diet essentially . Recently had issues with passing urine frequently , and tingerling at the end quite uncomfortable. Also my urine smells very distinctive ! I don't have a blood glucose machine and haven't a clue as to my blood sugar levels but am wondering if I have got sugar in my urine which is causing the unpleasant experience . I drink as much water as I can , glass full first thing and throughout the day . I used to get cystitis but never needed antibiotics so haven't been to Drs . I have been rather bad recently with chocolate from Xmas but intend to stop . Bit concerned I am ketoxic ? What is your advice or has anyone else experienced this . Due for blood test soon as well , been 3 months since diagnosed.
Thank you for reading
Jean

Drinking lots of water will help any infection, but if you have high sugars, your body will try to dump it when you urinate as it's an exit point for your system. This would cause similar symptoms as you describe.

Disappointing that you can't be provided with a meter; I find mine invaluable and test several times daily.

Reactions: Liftupjoe