D&C

GemmaD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hi all,

Unfortunately I had to have a d&c yesterday when two scans revealed there was no longer a heartbeat. I found out two weeks ago I had muscarried so emotionally I feel like I've come to terms with it a lot more now.

However, my problem is my blood sugar has been sky high since 9pm last night. It was 16.3 so I gave 5 units of fast acting insulin to bring it down and waited two hours to check it again. At 11pm it has only come down to 13.8. I gave 2 more units in the hope that this would help but when I checked my sugar levels at 6am they were 15.6! Does anyone have any experience of this? I'm not bleeding much and not in any pain at the moment but do you think it means I have an infection?

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@GemmaD Phone 111 or speak to your GP for advice. It could just be an approaching illness or stress, but it's important to get an infection ruled out.

{{hugs}}

Take care XX

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry for your loss @GemmaD .

It's possible it's the emotional and physical stress of the proceedure sending you up.

Start a new pen fresh out of the fridge to exclude the possibility of an issue with the insulin you're using. Be careful not to over correct.

If you remain high and you are worried about infection or if you have any other signs of infection go to see your doctor for a check up.

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
I had one 7 years ago. It's a big shock to the system both in terms of the actual operation (GA upsets most people's systems) and you still have a lot of pregnancy hormones going round your body in overdrive. If insulin is not bringing you down at all then definitely get yourself checked out but don't expect your body to be operating as usual for the moment. Remember also that stress for a lot of people raises levels so getting stressed about your levels can make them stay higher. Look after yourself.

Reactions: azure

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @GemmaD Sorry to hear your news, I don't have anything to add other than what's already been said, just take good care of yourself and I hope your levels come back to normal soon x