D2 and D4 forms application, The story so far ....

vespa

Hi all,
I am about to achieve my 3 months reading for reapplying for my cat C 1 and C1+E and D1, D1+E back. the readings are looking stable up to now.

I am slightly confused as to what to fill in on the form and also the steps to take and the possible time scale.

Can anybody with experience of doing this. could you advise me please, thanks.

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Re: D2 and D4 forms steps to take ?

You will have to get an appointment with your Consultant to complete the medical form that DVLA send you, who will need to download your meter data.
When I sent my form back to DVLA I got my licences reinstated in about 2 weeks, brilliant service.
Good luck
Angie

vespa

Thanks Angie, I have taken the plunge and filled in the forms, its like trying to read in riddles, on the D2 it asked me what provisional entitlement I am applying for, I ticked C1 and D1 may as well if its the same medical, the other is I am renewing my licence for medical reasons.

Hope thats all right, its with the Doctor along with D4 and my DIAB1 I am due to have a medical next Friday and its going to cost me £80, quite a lot of money for a first medical, at least the Dr said my readings are very good and should jump that hurdle, but I am not going to count my chickens until that licence is in my hand, I also believe the licence will be valid for 1 year as single card instead of three years because of the CAT C and D.

I hope to get it as my current work I am doing instead of driving is mind numbingly boring.

another12

Dislikes
Porridge

Iv received pathetic service from dvlc. Upon getting a job after 4months of redundancy,i was asked too fill in a medical form as the job is as a pcv driver. After downloading the form and taking it to company docs for him to fill in on that day & £40.00,i sent it into dvlc. Within 2 weeks the dvlc then insisted I go too my own doc to varyfie the imfomation given. After 2 weeks waiting, I get too see own doc & fill in same form again,and then post it back. Imagine my surprise when I ring dvlc and ask (5days later)how licence is proceeding, only too be told "its going too take @ least a month to process". When I rang future employer to explain why/ how its took nearly 2 months to get licence he was not happy. Thanks dvlc. The most annoying thing is,,,i was driving 16 seater minibuses b4 I was made redundant. Goes to show what having 2 seats more does for you :?

vespa

It can be confusing I have just been crossing the T and dotting the I, proof read it over and over again until I am happy, photocopied all the forms and then go to the Post Office to have it sent recorded delivery on Saturday. no point rushing and post it today as they will be knocking off for the weekend.

Just a hurdle to jump over, eventually the more I do it the easier it gets especially when i keep copies of the previous form and copy from that putting in the new date.

vespa

The story so far.......

Sent the medical forms off recorded delivery to DVLA over a week ago, got a letter back that they think my eyesight on the D4 is not quite up to their standard, my eyesight is ok for car licence as I can see number plates but not for Class 2s, my eyesight is borderline for that and they want me to go to the Opticians to have another test.

So I have decided to order a pair of glasses, buy one and 2nd one half price deal, I was prescribed them when I had my initial Diabetic eye test a few weeks ago, so may as well bite the bullet and wear glasses for the first time since primary school at least I won't look like Joe 90 !, the styles of frames have improved a great deal since so may as well get some stylish ones for long term use, I have managed to avoid wearing for a long time, I may as well have them to prevent any delays in my application.

Thoughts ?

rinfrance

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Wow getting glasses because you are borderline, gulp, I have worn glasses since school, did not need them though for driving, technically.
You are missing a lot if you are borderline and do not wear them. Frankly, I would not be seen dead without mine, I am now 68 and my glasses have saved my sight at least 3 times, let alone that I had regular check ups and that was how my glaucoma got picked up.
If, as you say, you are borderline you are being, how can I say this nicely, foolish for not having every advantage that you can get. For example, I can see a bike before you, or a pedestrian. and THAT could mean the difference between life and death. Whereas I can safely drive at say 40 MPH your limit should be 25 or 30.
I am sorry. you should have worn corrective things a lot lot earlier.
I had a UK HGV and now here after 12 years a French HGV and get my medical every year for a bus (although now they want you to do a paper work test every so often but that is the same in the UK although I can still rent one for my private use!) They do a rather mundane test but it does cover everything and I still pass that if I want without correction, (its not put on my licence) but I realise that without glasses I am a liability and I am not borderline by any means!

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Vespa,

Just remember that if you are required by DVLA to wear glasses to pass the Group 2 licence criteria you MUST wear them at all times to drive group 2 vehicles. It will be recorded on your licence and you can be fined for not adhering with the restrictions on your licence. Also make sure your spare pair is in the vehicle with you all the time too as you will need them if you damage your first pair (they ask you that in the medical - they did my Boss anyway).

Good luck, hope you get it sorted soon.
Angie

vespa

Aye its quite sobering that I am getting old and need glasses.

rinFrance, by border line I mean I am not 6/6, instead I am 6/9 which is sufficient for car driving, I only have a slightly weak long distance vision. I am not exactly Mr Magoo by any stretch, its just that DVLA wants a higher specification.

vespa

A little update, had my eyesight test they found I am 6/9 for cars but need corrective glasses for group 2 which I now have, sent the form off to DVLA a few days ago, so now waiting on the next step.

Blood suger readings are looking stable and interesting as there is very little variation within the band without me doing anything special apart from eating sensibly, losing weight, taking my metformin and injections, I have reduced the injections dosage gradually to prevent dipping low, interestingly it has remained stable, the metformn had more of an effect than insulin in stabilising so far, I am beginning to suspect I am type 2 than 1, still one step at a time get my C1 D1 licence back, then worry about which type I am.

soldier1914

Sorry to be down on D.V.L.A., but service is long long long long wait Ive have held a P.S.V.Class 1 licence since I was 21 and H.G.V. class 2 for the last 10 years now in April I was 50yrs old and had to take another 5 year medical as required by law (up until this one ie 40 and my 45th birthday no problem) so had my medical all passed fine paperwork filled in correct and sent back beginning of April 2013 thought I'd have it back in a few weeks!!!! NO WAY it's now 11/06/2013 over two months and still waiting and the stress of not knowing if your keeping your vocational licences or not does not set well with a diabetic (as stress and worry can affect your monitoring levels), wish someone at PLAY GOD CENTRE or D.V.L.A. would realise that this happens and get a move on even though they have a letter from my G.P. they are still taking thier own sweet time.......

Breeze381

I applied for my C1 in March 2011, got the licence 9 months later! (the licence expired in January) Re applied 88 days before the expiry (90 days is the soonest) for it to be returned saying it was to early - must be at least 90 days - sorry DVLA but 88 days is less than 90! New independant medical completed and the licence issued - only took 6 months this time. Luckily I only need the C1 for my motorhome and not for my living. The whole process is very distressing and does nothing for your levels.

vespa

Looks like I may have revise my expected time scale I was anticipating 4 months overall. :shock:

vespa

Got letter back from DVLA to fill in forms for the doctors contact details etc and pretty much the same medical questions as in previous forms, this is the next to last stage before I go before their consultant, with a HBA1C of 40 and more than 3 months of stable readings albeit having to wear glasses for group 2, signs are good but don't want to count my chickens until that licence is back in my hand..

havoc-1922

Good luck with dvla---complete shower,just had my hgv revoked as i havnt been doing the 2 hour blood test while driving--ermmm dvla told me not to drive hgv,s last January until they had all the medical facts so how can i test every 2 hours when i havn,t been driving them for 6 months-total morons--its appeal time !!! Oh and by the way we have also taken your 3.5 tonne--7.5 tonne entitlement away as well but you can tow a caravan or trailer with your car though--mmmm my car is a 18ft Pickup and caravan is 27ft= 35ft long and guess what people its longer than an 8 wheeler and bends in the middle !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Havoc,
What did your Consultant tell them? If you are not driving the only thing they say is that you must have at least 2 tests recorded on your meter per day - even on your rest days else they say there is no proof of good control.
Good luck with the appeal.
Angie

vespa

Thanks for the heads up Havoc, that's something for me to look out for, best of luck with your appeal

vespa

Had my last medical a week ago and i snow waiting for the date to meet the DVLA Diabetician.

Meanwhile I am still attending the Gym and working out for better sugar control, my weight is now 13st 6lbs (85.5Kgs) my injections is now 3 unit morning no evening injections and very little change in my blood sugar readings. still hovering around 6.0 - 6.5 occasionally up to 7.5 rarely dipping below 5.0, lowest was yesterday 4.4 it soon got back up to 7.4, I wonder if my weight loss and my exercising is rolling back many of the effects of diabetes, hopefully it will stay that way for a long time to come.

I am very intrigued by these readings though and maybe a GAD test can conclusively explain this, i am due to meet my consultant in October to put these facts to him and see what he says.