Daily Protein Intake

miriamy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Medics who tell you what to do.
Politicians who blame people for being poor and praise bankers for being rich.
TV
Butter Beans
What level of fats and protein should I be aiming for each day?

I've recently started low carb diet, aiming to stay below 100g pd and I've cut out grains, potatoes and other carby veg. etc.
All my carbs now come from vegetable sources and legumes.
I eat meat, fish, beans and dairy.
About 8-10 portions of veg and salad a day.
Your advice and useful links are very welcome. Thanks

Reactions: Chook

Roxanna5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Good question I'm a bit confused about that too. I usually have 150g or more. But I think that may be a bit much.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have seen recommendations of 0.75g-0.8g of protein per kilo of body weight.

As for fats you should aim for just enough to 'fill the gap' left from your reduction in carbs, in other words if you are still hungry then it's OK to have extra fats.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Just be aware that fat in the ABSENCE of carbs does not cause weight gain. If you are eating fat freely and are still too high in carbs you will most likely gain weight. The level of carbs is different for each person. Personally beans other than green beans are way too high carb for me. Your meter will tell you.

Reactions: miriamy

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The protein thing can be pretty confusing.

Don't know whether people are losing/gaining weight? Or wanting to? But the idea is that you eat the right amount of protein for your ideal lean body weight.

So if you are 20 stone wanting to reduce to 10 stone, you eat enough protein for a 10 stone person.
And if you are 10 stone wanting to increase to 15, then you eat protein for a 15 stone person.

Plus, you need to base your calculations on the amount of protein in the food, rather than the weight of the food.
So don't think, aha! An egg weighs 50g, so that is 50g of protein. You need to remember that there is only about 7g of protein in an egg. The rest is water and fat and all the other stuff that goes to build a baby chicken.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Proteins never seem to affect me - I can tear into a leg of lamb or pork or have a couple of eggs and a bit of cheese - but not eating fat seems to make the difference.
One of my highest after dinner readings, over 10, was after eating a stew made with expensive low fat beefsteak and vegetables. If I'd fried it all and left it covered in the oven for an hour I am sure it would have been better.
I can't eat over 50 gm of carb these days - but I am seeing 6.4 after dinner now, which is a bit surprising

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I use the formula of .8-1 g pure protein per kg LEAN body mass.

Protein will takes me but MUCH faster and MUCH higher without my beloved avocado to slow it down. Olive oil, butter, mayo don't work nearly as well to keep my bg low and slow.

My ratios are 80% fat, 15% protein and 5% carbs. This is how I get best control.

Beans are way too high carb for me as well.

ghost_whistler

I have found that fat isn't satiating, and that I'm hungry after a meal of 50g fat and 30g protein. I can't tolerate eating more fat than that in one sitting tbh. Instead a higher level of protein seems to work. Not sure how that works in relation to fat.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat a lot of protein and always have. I haven't altered my protein consumption at all. I just lowered my carbs and raised my fats. It worked for me, both weight loss wise and BS wise. If I cut down my protein to the guideline amounts I would have to increase something else, but as I have found the right balance for me, I'm happy as I am.

ghost_whistler

I eat a lot of protein and always have. I haven't altered my protein consumption at all. I just lowered my carbs and raised my fats. It worked for me, both weight loss wise and BS wise. If I cut down my protein to the guideline amounts I would have to increase something else, but as I have found the right balance for me, I'm happy as I am.
Not cheap though, eating protein I've found.

Pauntiep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have seen recommendations of 0.75g-0.8g of protein per kilo of body weight.

As for fats you should aim for just enough to 'fill the gap' left from your reduction in carbs, in other words if you are still hungry then it's OK to have extra fats.
Does this mean if you way 100 kilos you should eat 75 g of protein? Is that per day or per meal?

Reactions: zand

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does this mean if you way 100 kilos you should eat 75 g of protein? Is that per day or per meal?
Yes, per day, but as others have said you should calculate the amount by using your lean bodyweight, so if 100kg is your lean bodyweight yes, that's 75g protein per day. My own requirement is around 50g protein per day. :)

miriamy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Medics who tell you what to do.
Politicians who blame people for being poor and praise bankers for being rich.
TV
Butter Beans
Just be aware that fat in the ABSENCE of carbs does not cause weight gain. If you are eating fat freely and are still too high in carbs you will most likely gain weight. The level of carbs is different for each person. Personally beans other than green beans are way too high carb for me. Your meter will tell you.
I have the second problem with beans, especially chickpeas. They send my bg way up. I have to go very easy with quantities. Black beans are best. Lentils are off as is and hummous.
Loads of veg and salad is working for me.