Dealing with diabetes in the future

Dave345

I got diabetes out of the blue 20 yrs ago when i was 11 yrs old, after my GP sent me home on 3 separate occasions misdiagnosing me i slipped into a coma and was gone for 4 days and nearly died from the effects of high bloodsugar. But i survived and since then life has not been overly easy for me, and in response to some of the troubles i faced i have definitely done a lot of stuff i shouldn't have - mainly drinking, smoking and doing a bunch of class A and B drugs for days on end between my late teens and mid twenties, living more like a rock star rather than a healthy level headed person, tbh it was the same way of my friends spent their time and i didn't seem to care about anything. Surprisingly my HBA1C results were always some of the best according to my doctor (highest ever was 6.5% but usually between 5 and 6%) but i am aware that these are just an average which could be skewed by the effects of prolonged low BS'. Since my mid twenties i have had several injuries that have affected my ability to exercise to a high level, and that has made for me gaining a few pounds (My BMi is currently 28 i think which is borderline fat although i wouldn't say i am obese fwiw) I have recently read a bunch of info on the effects of diabetes and it has really scared my me a lot. I have ceased all drinking / smoking and am trying to eat really well although i still munch sweet stuff too much usually when i am feeling stressed, which is a lot due to my constant worry of the health effects i will face later in my life. So here's a few things i would like to achieve...

* Deal with the emotional side of facing these inevitable complications.
* Stabilize my diet through solid diet plan aimed at being able to exercise for extended periods of time.
* Lose some of those pounds i have put on.
* Do anything extra i can to minimize the effects of diabetes on me when i am older.

Fwiw (and without trying to be too bigheaded :) i feel i am a decently intelligent human being and am aware there is no magic answer to this problem, but i really can't stop worrying about it and really hope that i can help myself get over this slump and enjoy the rest of my life, thx in advance for any help offered.

Rach06ao

Misdiagnosed 3 times? Poor you :( that must of been terrible.
First off giving up drinking and smoking is a great start :) diabetic or not.

Obviously being a diabetic it is hard to keep your health on track to avoid future problems. I dont think any type 1s can stop minor diabetic retinopathy issues (eye sight is still ok though!).

It sounds like your making the right choices. No drink drugs or smoking will benefit you ALOT :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Complications are not inevitable...

Tbh... Thinks there are a large number of people living healthily and good without complications and without the need for this web-site.

For example whenI was in Wales.. I met a lady, type 1 50+ years without one single complication.. Me, nearing 39 years... No complications... Yep... I'm telling you I have had some extremes of using and abusing my diabetes and life...no complications.

Aim for the highest now.... You cant change whats gone.... But you can come out in 10 years time screaming that you too used and abused but like me... You too are proud you changed and you too havent got complications.

They are NOT inevitable... You could get run over by a bus, swallowed in a tsunami, crash skii-ing tomorrow.... Who knows whats in store for us all, but it's never too late... And I just wanted to so say... Complications arent inevitable.

I also had a customer of mine die 5 years back now.. T1, diagnosed pre insulin, .... Died of old age... Norhing to do with diabetes and he too disnt have one single complication. He'd been a diplomat and travelled all iver the world with exotic and different ways of food and living...

Never too late..

Dave345

my eye scans they say i have minor sign of retinopathy but certainly not advanced or close to it. Also i am not interested in the "its never to later" BS that i have heard / read all before, its of no interest to me. What i care about is hard evidence and facts, and meeting the right people who can help me deal with the issues and improve my life. thx

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Ok, fact... I had bacground retinopathy for 3 years. Last Nov at specsavers their report said none. Didnt believe it.. Thought they made a mistake. Hospital eye check in November also came up all clear. Retinopathy doesnt have to progress... It can also disappear with better levels. I'm proof and fact of that.
I'm no angel either.. Never have been, never will be.. Fact is just a little bit of more balanced levels.. Less swings has cleared my retinopathy. Fact.

Dave345

thats encouraging - can anyone point me in the direction of any advice on dealing with the emotional swings diabetes creates, i am sure i get moody when my sugars are bad

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Dave
I'm married to a T1 who had a hard time dealing with his situation when young, plus some substandard care and advice. He now has multiple complications, but is keeping pretty well and all complicqations stable with well controlled bgs. He's controlling his carbs and has reduced insulin use. Last HbA1c was 6.4% with not a single hypo needing help in the previous year.
It has needed as much support as I[ T2 myself] have been able to give. He's not an outgoing person and wouldn't have found a support network for himself, but I encouraged him to join the U3A. He's made friends and plays bridge regularly in the group. I suspect they don't know about his T1, but he does have a social life of his own, which I think is good for morale and wellbeing.
We're both 66 and retired
I'd definitely suggest you find a social group that suits you [ not probably a binge driners set :twisted: ]
Keeping busy and occupied is good for mental health. Mental health is good for diabetes control
hana

Dave345

this videi really inspired me yesterday...
[youtube]YSj1nmBnl6U[/youtube]

I would like to pursue a really intense exercise regime to improve my health (both mental and physical), speed up my metabolism, where can i find info on doing prolonged heavy exercise with diabetes? for example food and sugar control advice is what i am mainly seeking, thx

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you want to exercise a lot with Type 1, you have different considerations to Type 2 diabetics. Have a look at this paper, 'Exercise and Diabetes Type 1 Recommendations, Safety' http://journals.tums.ac.ir/upload_files/pdf/_/3052.pdf

Some Gold Medal athletes are Type 1. so it can be done! Some even run marathons but, safety first.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have a look at this site.
It contains lots of useful up to date info on sports and D (It was set up by Dr I Gallen who runs the only sports and D clinic in the UK)
http://www.runsweet.com/
Don't try to much too soon. Set yourself achievable targets.
(and yes we can run marathons, I've done them, not fast but I can finish . Every marathon or whatever sport you decide to take up starts with a bit of motivation and getting out of the front door)

Dave345

^^^ haha that front page interview is hilariously shoddy, looks/sounds like it was filmed by a stoned art college student- however the rest of the site looks like it contains some hidden gems - thanks