Decided to take action!

LaserMum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I was diagnosed a couple of years ago and was disgusted with the lack of help and advice I got from my GP and Diabetes Nurse at the practice. I was basically told that it was because I was fat. Saw the dietician who said that I had been referred to her as I needed to lose weight. I said, 'No, I need to find out how to manage my diabetes'. She said it was the same thing. I was not impressed. To me, the important thing was to learn to manage my diabetes. If weightloss was a side-effect of that then OK but weightloss is not my primary objective. I don't care what my weight is.
Being unable to get any useful information out of the NHS I just took the Metformin (occasionally!) and went to any appointments they gave me, made the appropriate noises, nodded my head, etc.
I've just found this forum and have decided to take control of my diabetes - but you're the only source in information I have so please be patient with questions as the come up!
I've ordered an SD Codefree monitor with strips and lancets from Amazon.
I am planning to start a low-carb diet today (eggs for breakfast) but am not sure if it wouldn't be better to eat relatively normally until I get an idea of what foods sends my BS haywire. What do you think?
I'm away this weekend at the London Boat Show and am concerned that I will find it difficult to stick to any diet having to eat in restaurants. I also have to attend a VIP buffet on Saturday which is likely to consist of lots of carbs! Any advice?
Daisy, don't worry about pasting the usual information for newbies - I've already seen it (and followed all the links).
Hope I'll have a long and happy time on the forum.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi LaserMum and welcome. I'm glad you have read the information. I hope you get some answers to your questions and don't hesitate to ask lots more if you need to.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Although losing weight may not be the prime objective it's good to see that you've set managing your diabetes as the the main concern as that will cause long-term damage if not managed. Having the meter and going low-carb are both very important in the 'journey' (sorry about that over-used word). Do take the Metformin as prescribed as it does help with insulin resistance and reduces the amount of glucose in the blood but don't expect too much of the latter aspect. I have egg and bacon for breakfast as it's low carb. It's not easy avoiding a lot of carb at restaurants and buffets; you do need a lot of will power and it may be that you have to accept that when you're eating out you may go a bit beyond home eating but as you may have gathered around the forum there are better food choices. I go for the protein, salads, veg, low carb soups as far as possible. BTW do you exercise at all. I go to the gym 3 times a week which fits my routine; any form of exercise helps. As you know weight loss will occur as a result of the low-carb diet as long as the portions are kept below 150'ish gm/day or whatever you set as a target. This will help with the insulin resistance. The meter will tell you what works for you. Good luck.

LaserMum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for the replies.
Daibell, I don't do any exercise at the moment but have a Springer Spaniel that would love some long walks.
Unfortunately, I work full-time and have a daughter with high-functioning autism to look after so don't have the time or money to spend at the gym. That's my excuse anyway! :lol: Will get out walking the dog when it's a bit lighter but will have to have a think what to do in the winter. :think:
I'm looking forward to getting my meter so that I can find out just how bad this is or whether the GP and nurse are just hyping it. They don't seem to be that bothered about it.
Thanks again.