Delicious Christmas Cake Recipe (Low Fat & Sugar Free!)

helenb

Dislikes
Bad service in shops and ****** drivers (and 4X4s that have never seen the countryside!).
I know that this sounds too good to be true :lol: yes, low fat, sugar and dairy free :shock: but EVERYONE who has tried this always asks me for the recipe as it really is delicious. If you use the optional brandy it really makes it really special. The original recipe is from my favourite vegetarian writer Rose Elliot and is from her new book Rose Elliot's New Complete Vegetarian.
The cake also freezes well (as with it being sugar free does not keep quite as well as a traditional cake).
You can also make this cake with gluten free flour for coeliacs.
A really good, dark rich cake particularly if you use prunes in it and a very credible substitute for a more diabetic friendly Christmas Cake.

225 g Chopped (sugar free) dates
275 ml Water
450 g Mixed Dried Fruit (I use a combination of Sultanas, Raisins, Currants, Prunes, Apricots, Unsweetened Cherries etc what ever are your favourites - chop up any big pieces of fruit)
175 g Wholemeal flour (or gluten free if preferred)
1 tbsp Cacoa Powder (or unsweetened cocoa or carob powder) - optional
3 tsp Baking powder
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Allspice
1/4 tsp Ground Ginger
A few gratings of a fresh nutmeg
Or use 1 to 1.5 tsp mixed spice
grated rind of an orange or lemon
40 g Ground almonds
4 tbsp Fresh orange juice (you may need a splash more depending on how soft your dried fruit is)
1-4 tbsp Brandy - optional but nice if you are making this as a Christmas Cake
Whole almonds (or walnuts or Pecans) to make a topping

1. Preheat oven to 160 C. Line a 900g (2lb) loaf tin with baking parchment
2. Put the dates and water into a small saucepan and gently bring to a simmer and look on low for a few minutes until the dates are soft and have absorbed the water. Mash them up a bit with a wooden spoon. Add in the orange juice.
3. Mix the dried fruit, flour, cacoa powder and baking powder along with the spices and a pinch of salt in a large bowl.
4. Mix in the dates and lemon or orange zest and mix well to combine. If necessary add in a little extra orange juice to make a sticky'ish mix
5. Stir in 1 or 2 Tablespoons of brandy if you like - this is especially nice if you are making this for Christmas.
6. The mix should be stiff but not too dry.
7. Turn out into the prepared loaf tin and make a pattern on the top with your nuts of choice.
8. Bake in the oven for 1 1/2 hours - but check after 1 hour 20 mins. Insert a skewer into the centre which should come out clean.
Tip
If the nuts look like they are browning too much place some baking parchment or foil very loosely over the top of the cake for the last 30 mins of cooking.

louiseb

have you tested your bg after eating this?
it sounds very nice but but I think with that amont of fruit it must have some impact on your bg?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I don't think I could manage much of that.....way too many carbs in there. Sounds nice though.

There is apparently no ADDED sugar but it has loads of dried fruit and flour plus other ingredients which all contain mega carbs.........Some fruit contains very high levels of natural sugars.

As we know Carbs all convert to glucose 100%........sugar free it ain't ! :(

traceylill

Oh come on. OK it has carbs but look at it this way isn't it better than eating ordinary christmas cake with all the sugar and icing. I don't like fruit cake at all but I would consider making this cake for other people in my house who do like christmas cake. :D

Reactions: lorraine95

Helenababe

Type 2s, apart from those who are using insulin, don't have it to take our sugar down. Dried fruit is lethal to a type 2, and any carbs have to be controlled.
My sugar is well controlled with the metformin, but if I had a piece of that cake I could end up in the 20's.

Helena

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
traceylill said:
Oh come on. OK it has carbs but look at it this way isn't it better than eating ordinary christmas cake with all the sugar and icing. I don't like fruit cake at all but I would consider making this cake for other people in my house who do like christmas cake. :D

You might as well just take the icing off an ordinary Christmas cake and if you are making it for non diabetics why worry about sugar?

helenb

Dislikes
Bad service in shops and ****** drivers (and 4X4s that have never seen the countryside!).
OK - I agree that there is plenty of 'natural sugars' in my recipe. However, there is no need to have a cake with extra refined sugars added when you don't have to. Plus, the recipe also hA no added dairy or fats (apart from the small amount in the nuts) so it's a much more healthy alternative. Thankfully, it doesn't affect my BS to silly amount as I do lots and lots of cardio exercise (yes, even over Christmas :crazy: ) so that I don't compromise my health and can have the occasional piece of slightly 'better for me' cake.
At the end of the day it's all down to personal choice, I choose to have a small bit of this cake and none of a standard loaded with sugar and fats one and I'm about to have a small bit with my Soya Latte now because I've just done a 'Spin' class and and 'Body Pump' class at the gym this morning :lol:

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I hope I dont seem too argumentative here Helen but the small amount of sugar that would be in a small slice of Christmas cake is nothing compared to the flour and fruit in it, all carbohydrates turn 100% to glucose not just sugar :thumbup:

Reactions: 2 people

helenb

Dislikes
I do get that Sid but it was just a slightly better option that some might have found useful. I also understand that I am one of the lucky ones for the carbs to not affect me too badly now I've lost lots of weight and keep up my exercise.

meoman

My wife will offer to make me a lowest possible carb christmas cake that I can dote over for 2 mins every evening and pour brandy in to for 6 or so weeks. Im dieting until then so a sort of end festive treat but low carb still with lots of brandy soaking... lowish carb recipe anywhere?

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
meoman said:
My wife will offer to make me a lowest possible carb christmas cake that I can dote over for 2 mins every evening and pour brandy in to for 6 or so weeks. Im dieting until then so a sort of end festive treat but low carb still with lots of brandy soaking... lowish carb recipe anywhere?

I'm pretty sure WhitbyJet has posted one on the low carb diet forum on here-I'll have a look :wink:

JoeB

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Helen.
What temperature do you bake the cake at?
Regards.....Joe

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry but the first 2 ingredients are no good for me (type 2 )
CAROL

marzak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
inactivity, being stuck indoors
I know that this sounds too good to be true :lol: yes, low fat, sugar and dairy free :shock: but EVERYONE who has tried this always asks me for the recipe as it really is delicious. If you use the optional brandy it really makes it really special. The original recipe is from my favourite vegetarian writer Rose Elliot and is from her new book Rose Elliot's New Complete Vegetarian.
The cake also freezes well (as with it being sugar free does not keep quite as well as a traditional cake).
You can also make this cake with gluten free flour for coeliacs.
A really good, dark rich cake particularly if you use prunes in it and a very credible substitute for a more diabetic friendly Christmas Cake.

225 g Chopped (sugar free) dates
275 ml Water
450 g Mixed Dried Fruit (I use a combination of Sultanas, Raisins, Currants, Prunes, Apricots, Unsweetened Cherries etc what ever are your favourites - chop up any big pieces of fruit)
175 g Wholemeal flour (or gluten free if preferred)
1 tbsp Cacoa Powder (or unsweetened cocoa or carob powder) - optional
3 tsp Baking powder
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Allspice
1/4 tsp Ground Ginger
A few gratings of a fresh nutmeg
Or use 1 to 1.5 tsp mixed spice
grated rind of an orange or lemon
40 g Ground almonds
4 tbsp Fresh orange juice (you may need a splash more depending on how soft your dried fruit is)
1-4 tbsp Brandy - optional but nice if you are making this as a Christmas Cake
Whole almonds (or walnuts or Pecans) to make a topping

1. Preheat oven to 160 C. Line a 900g (2lb) loaf tin with baking parchment
2. Put the dates and water into a small saucepan and gently bring to a simmer and look on low for a few minutes until the dates are soft and have absorbed the water. Mash them up a bit with a wooden spoon. Add in the orange juice.
3. Mix the dried fruit, flour, cacoa powder and baking powder along with the spices and a pinch of salt in a large bowl.
4. Mix in the dates and lemon or orange zest and mix well to combine. If necessary add in a little extra orange juice to make a sticky'ish mix
5. Stir in 1 or 2 Tablespoons of brandy if you like - this is especially nice if you are making this for Christmas.
6. The mix should be stiff but not too dry.
7. Turn out into the prepared loaf tin and make a pattern on the top with your nuts of choice.
8. Bake in the oven for 1 1/2 hours - but check after 1 hour 20 mins. Insert a skewer into the centre which should come out clean.
Tip
If the nuts look like they are browning too much place some baking parchment or foil very loosely over the top of the cake for the last 30 mins of cooking.

I found your recipe when looking for a cake to make for this Christmas 2019 - interesting that you consider the low fat and low nut content to be healthy as a no longer medicated, 2 stone lighter, Type 2 D I am advised to eat a low carb diet and like you in 2010, will be running, cycling and walking all through Christmas period. As pointed out by loadsa other readers the fruit sugar content of this is very high and perhaps it would be helpful if someone was able to analyse its dietary content - how much fibre, fat, carb and sugar, and what sized portion would be possible in terms of glycaemic load. I will keep searching but perhaps adapt yours to remove dates and replace with apple and some other slightly less fructose rich fruits. Can try coconut and gram flour as alternatives to slightly lower the carbohydrate content too. I can always load up a slice with sugar free creme fraiche as a topping or slather it with sugar free butter, yum yum! rapidly followed by a long walk! Thank you

Phantomsteve

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I entered this into MyFitnessPal (with it being 12 servings), and this how it analysed the nutrition per serving...

Calories 338
Fat 9.2g (Saturated 0.8, Polyunsaturated 1.5, monounsaturated 3.8)
Sodium 125.6mg
Potassium 221.6mg
Carbohydrates 56.8g
Fibre 5.2g
Sugar 13.2g
Protein 6.8g

• Useful
Reactions: aylalake

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My family Christmas cake has no added sugar as such if you don't count the tablespoon of molasses, marmalade or apricot jam.
There are eggs and butter, nuts and dried fruit, but several times more flour than the very earliest recipe, as it was originally a Twelfth cake - baked in a doughnut shaped tin.
Although it is a family recipe every aunt has a slightly different version which always provoked discussion at family gatherings and left the uncles in the unenviable situation of being unsure which cake to praise...
One aunt cheated and spelt out her name in almonds on the top of hers.