denial and blame

sarah74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I feel so down at the moment, I have conflicted feelings, one, did I do this to myself? Should of took care of my body better! Two, they got it wrong I am not diabetic! Its a waiting game to see the dn,maybe then I will find some peace

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheer up. I doubt very much if there was anything you could have done. We should all take care of our bodies better but if you are like me then you put it off until you absolutely have to.

The thing about they got it wrong is something every single one of thought just after diagnosis. It's called denial. You'll get over it.

Reactions: 2 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Ok you're diabetic. Yes it's a shock and it can be overwhelming. The question is are you going to do something about it or are you going to stick your head in the sand, take the pills and carry on as before? Only you can decide!
When I was in your position, I came on here terrified. My doc handed me the pills and expected me to carry on as before. To their horror, I came on here, got informed, was guided to diet doctor. Learnt about LCHF. Came back on here. Asked loads of questions and was answered by the nicest bunch of people ever. Bought a meter, defied the doc and DN (truly horrible) and halved by bs in 3 months and am now 3 stone 9lbs lighter.
Good luck and hugs! Ask lots of questions!

Reactions: 9 people

sarah74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
wow that's brilliant, I have been looking at the diet doctor and I'm thinking that's the way to go, and if I can shift some weight it will be a bonus, just having a down day, ps thanks for the virtual hug! Muchly appreciated @Scandichic

Reactions: 4 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
wow that's brilliant, I have been looking at the diet doctor and I'm thinking that's the way to go, and if I can shift some weight it will be a bonus, just having a down day, ps thanks for the virtual hug! Muchly appreciated @Scandichic

Go for it.
I really have to say, despite all the scary stuff, my life is actually better for being diabetic.
This is me, and I overate.
I was overweight.
I didn't exercise.

Now, I scuba, I learnt to ski, I lost my fear of heights, (fat bloke wobbling on an edge, plus gravity)
It was actually a very good wake up, before the heart attack.

Reactions: 6 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi Sarah

There's lots of us, in front of and behind Scandi (!) who have sorted ourselves out - you can do the same! Go for it and keep talking to us!

Reactions: 5 people

JohnD54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rice
Sarah, welcome to the forum.

You have landed in the right place, we have all felt the " it's unfair, why me" but when you look around here you see it's part,of,life and someone somewhere is going to be affected.

Now the choice is yours, you,know you have a problem, put you head in the sand or face it and change things.

Please decide to change, it's your choice no one else's, if that is your decision to make thing better you could not have come to a better place, the knowledge and encouragement you will find in this forum is, to my mind is second to none.

Please read the various threads, ask questions, as many as you want and come to your own conclusions.

I know my opening "welcome to the forum" might appear strange since you have joined an illness forum, but you the assistance on here and a little self help it could actually improve your life going onward.

Good luck in your journey.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi Sarah

There's lots of us, in front of and behind Scandi (!) who have sorted ourselves out - you can do the same! Go for it and keep talking to us!
Yeah but my "behind" is getting smaller, Rod! :D

Reactions: 8 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
You should lose loads. I kept a food diary and didn't drink for the first couple of months but now have 2-3 glasses of white wine a week. The other thing is test, test, test! Your doc probably won't give you a meter as you're on meds and "don't need" a meter. Total horse****! I started having hypos as I was on too much Metformin which supposedly can't happen. Tablets reduced from 3 to 1. The meter (test after food - I test 1 hour then 2 hours after food in the beginning) is your friend and let's you know what you can and can't eat. The meter I use is the SD code free as the strips are £5 a pot if you buy 5 pots vs 1 pot from the chemist for £25. You can order directly from
http://www.homehealth-uk.com
Meter starter kit is £12 approx and vat free if you're diabetic. Promo code for strips is 264086
You're not supposed to use the lancet more than once but I like living on the wild side so I do. I now test to keep an eye, if I want to introduce something new, if I feel unwell or funny. Hope this helps! And have another hug!

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Yes but what about the fr... NOW THAT'S ENOUGH STOP IT (ed.)

Reactions: 4 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yes but what about the fr... NOW THAT'S ENOUGH STOP IT (ed.)
I'd love to,insert an appropriate image here but unfortunately I'm still having difficulty uploading so I guess I'll just have to leave it to your imagination.:hilarious:

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
OK better not scare Sarah away ...

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders, control freaks, untidiness, ignorance.
This is one I struggled with for a long time, especially in the early stages. It was so bad I had a nervous breakdown, pretty much. A lot of things had happened to me that year and I blamed it on that. Could I have avoided it, what could I have done different, what if etc......
I still struggle now, but I have learnt that I was probably on the road to being diabetic way before this and unless I had the inclination to cut down on carbs, I would not have been able to prevent it. If ever I felt the need to eat healthier, I would always have followed the low fat approach, which would never have worked, and I liked carbs too much!
I believe ultimately, it's down to genes for both type 1 and 2. We live our lives as we see fit but theres nothing you can do about genes. thankfully, at least there are ways to control it, but punishing yourself and looking for reasons why will drive you mad- put that energy into doing the right things now it's never too late x

C

catherinecherub

I feel so down at the moment, I have conflicted feelings, one, did I do this to myself? Should of took care of my body better! Two, they got it wrong I am not diabetic! Its a waiting game to see the dn,maybe then I will find some peace
Hi Sarah,

This article will go some way to explaining your mixed emotions. It happens to many people when they are first diagnosed and can be described as grief. We are grieving for the life we had and do not want diabetes to change things

What you will find is that the more you learn about how to manage the condition then the better you will feel, emotionally and physically.

The Five Stages of Grief.

http://www.diabetesexplained.com/the-five-stages-of-grief.html

This e-book explains how to get to grips with the condition and shows it's not all bad news.
Taming the Tiger. Your first year with diabetes.

http://www.diabetes-without-borders.org/FreeTiger.pdf

sarah74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is one I struggled with for a long time, especially in the early stages. It was so bad I had a nervous breakdown, pretty much. A lot of things had happened to me that year and I blamed it on that. Could I have avoided it, what could I have done different, what if etc......
I still struggle now, but I have learnt that I was probably on the road to being diabetic way before this and unless I had the inclination to cut down on carbs, I would not have been able to prevent it. If ever I felt the need to eat healthier, I would always have followed the low fat approach, which would never have worked, and I liked carbs too much!
I believe ultimately, it's down to genes for both type 1 and 2. We live our lives as we see fit but theres nothing you can do about genes. thankfully, at least there are ways to control it, but punishing yourself and looking for reasons why will drive you mad- put that energy into doing the right things now it's never too late x

Thanks tweety pie for your kind words and positivity x

sarah74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Sarah,

This article will go some way to explaining your mixed emotions. It happens to many people when they are first diagnosed and can be described as grief. We are grieving for the life we had and do not want diabetes to change things

What you will find is that the more you learn about how to manage the condition then the better you will feel, emotionally and physically.

The Five Stages of Grief.

http://www.diabetesexplained.com/the-five-stages-of-grief.html

This e-book explains how to get to grips with the condition and shows it's not all bad news.
Taming the Tiger. Your first year with diabetes.

http://www.diabetes-without-borders.org/FreeTiger.pdf

thanks for the links the 5 stages is spot on to how im feeling x

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi Sarah! What have you eaten today? X

sarah74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
yesterday I had some Weetabix for brekkie then a poxy small ploughmans salad, for dinner, and tea I was to tired to cook so had a few crackers with cheese spread on with a few olives, this morning nothing got up late for work! Balls!!!!!