Type 2 Dental Guidance required.

PNJB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Now that my T2 is coming under control with the LCHF regimen, I am wanting to fix other ailments. So far, my hip has been replaced, and my Oedema is a thing of the past; My blood pressure is normalised so now I am seeking assistance regarding dental work. I snapped a molar off at the gum-line. Visiting my dentist, she suggested a denture or an implant. I prefer the implant (very expensive privately) but she voiced concern that my healing abilities (as a diabetic) were suspect, yet I successfully went through a major hip operation in 2014 with no issues. Any otherT2 on this forum who has had dental implants? Was it successful? I love bringing my questions to this forum. It is always so helpful!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, in the past I have been under Guys hospital for my teeth and gums.
A little while back, I had 3 teeth taken out and on the same day( upper right, in a row) and had my denture plate ( which was made pre extractions) fitted at the same time. I had no complications at all, no painkillers either and type 1 for 27 years.
I hope this may help, but we are all different in the healing process, good luck.

Reactions: PNJB
D

Deleted member 308541

Can anyone help?
I cannot help re the implant as I have never had one put in.

I had six teeth extracted and new set of dentures put in when I was a border line diabetic, I had no problems with bleeding as the dentist plugged the sockets with some material which helped to stop any bleeding. He put five stitches in the gum to close some of the cuts he made getting one of the teeth out as it was broken.

It was all healed up within a couple of weeks, rinsing my mouth out with Listerine after meals helped to bring this about.

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
I've had a lot of dental treatment too recently, the most recent for a loose crown. The dentist built up what was left of my tooth for the new crown to sit on. I'm wondering if this is something your dentist could do instead of an implant.

When I told my dentist I am T2D, the first thing he asked was whether or not I was taking medication for it as it can cause a dry mouth which, in turn, could cause gum problems. He was very pleased with the condition of my teeth and gums overall.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I had 28 teeth removed all at once and healed up just fine. In hindsight undiagnosed diabetes was probably a large contributing factor in losing my teeth. If your sugars are under control and you practice good oral hygiene you should be fine. You will want to keep a very close eye on things as you heal and seek attention immediately if things don't seem right.