Desmond course

susanmanley

Today I attended a Desmond course and, surprising, really felt it was worth while
The presentations were clear and open, the discussions were allowed to flow.

I was not criticized for the low carb diet and was able to talk about it freely

We went through complications and what we could do to help our condition

the exercised bit was a bit rushed and protocol led

over all not a waste of a day

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Is it a one day course? I would encourage people to go on such courses - they are not all about eating a high carb diet, but have a lot of guidance about things to look for. I reported in detail on the 4-5 day X-PERT course. And I was invited back for a follow-up session.

Nik442

Hi, thanks for the feedback. I'm booked to go on DESMOND course on Saturday week. I've been wondering if it would be worthwhile but sounds like it might be!

I'll let you know how my course goes.

Nik

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
I am off to the re vamped Desmond in a couple of weeks I can even take my Mrs. or a friend with me.

The booklet they have sent does not just seem to focus on diet. There is a depression rating scale in there, a little about exercise and no obsession with three meals a day!

There is a lot of emphasis on things being individual choice and receiving support from professionals.

My GP has been on the course himself to see what it is like and really rates the new version ( I have a GP who works with me and makes time to discuss how I want to manage the sugar demon).

So I am going to give it a go and the Mrs is going with me :).

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I attended a "re-vamped" DESMOND course earlier this year and they were constantly harping on about saturated fats being deadly and causing insulin resistance and also that you had to eat carbs but it had to be slower release carbs... like brown rice instead of white, wholemeal bread instead of white bread... porridge for breakfast instead of cornflakes...

The only point that I was in agreement with was the need to increase consumption of oily fish and greens and salad veggies.

When I mentioned that I was doing low carb high fat, it was denounced as being a fad diet and not healthy in the long term...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Just goes to prove that you should go on such courses with an open mind and form your own opinions, pleased you found it all worthwhile Susan :)

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder if Desmond courses vary across the country?

I went to on this Summer. I was told to eat lots of carbs with each meal, and only eat lowfat products and spreads. No butter, or animal fats because of the risk of heart disease.

I mentioned low-carbs and testing my blood and was shot down in flames as being dangerous and testing will make me depressed.

The one good thing about it was the bits about portion size and reading labels.

susanmanley

I am glad my course was much more about choices and gaining control of your diabetes
There was some reference to fats etc but it was not overwhelming and the people giving the talks listened and allowed you to express your choices and did give alternatives but not in a repressive way. They stressed that you should do what works for you as you were the one who had to live with it!

Karen.G.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd never heard of a Desmond Course until reading this thread. Just been online to find out more information and have to say it looks good. I did look to see if they did courses near me - but unfortunately not.

Should anybody else not know here is a link.

http://www.desmond-project.org.uk/index.php

Nik442

Hi, I have now completed the first part of Desmond course for type 2s. We were told the course was the idea of the Leicester Royal Infirmary in 2003 who felt patients were left with little information after being diagnosed.

It was a group of 9 diabetics and many brought their partners along which made for a lively debate. We were encouraged to ask lots of questions and there is talk of a regular group being set up for where I live.

Dont shoot the messanger........

The educators said we should eat 240g of carbs per day although we were told to make our own minds up as to whether we wanted to follow this advice. We were told test strips are not provided by our PCT for type 2s as no risk of hypos but also it's too expensive. Only 3 out of 9 had been given a BG meter by their practice and this is in the same PCT. Quite a lot of advice was given on losing weight. Saturated fats are the devil and we should avoid at all costs. For one of the exercises we were all given an envelope with a print out of our last set of blood test results - first time I'd seen mine.

It was excellent to meet and talk to others with the same condition. Part 2 of the course is next week.

Nik

Tatheed1

Hi, I've just been diagnosed and have also attended a Desmond course. I found it informative with regard to the condition but I really thought the nutritional advice given was outdated and unhelpful. Was told to eat carbs with every meal and strip-test to ascertain portion size, cut down on fats etc.
NUTS - was really concerned that nuts weren't mentioned at all and that they're classed as high fat. I think they are a wonder food and I'm including them daily as part of my diet (obviously the raw types, unsalted, and only almonds and walnuts). I'm also advocating the low carb way of eating - really wish the professionals would to.

Nik442

We were also told about a half of people with type 2 diabetes will end up needing insulin injections. I've just been reading the literature we were given and this is repeated in there. Nothing wrong with that but does this sound high?

Nik

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Nik442 said:
We were also told about a half of people with type 2 diabetes will end up needing insulin injections. I've just been reading the literature we were given and this is repeated in there. Nothing wrong with that but does this sound high?

Nik

that's what happens when you follow their dietary advice to the letter... every time you go over and spike after eating wholegrain/wholemeal bread or potatoes (even if boiled with skins on), a few more beta cells die off... and slowly but surely you lose the ability to produce your own insulin so your spikes get worse and worse...

Nik442

The 50% statistic both intrigued and alarmed me. I wouldnt expect answers as to why it's so high from the Desmond course but I will challenge my GP with this next time I see him.

Nik

toots8298

I went on that last year and thought it was really really good.

i was just a month or so diagnosed then and was totally lost and still shocked and scared to what was happening to me but that course was very good gave me information and taught me about eating. I didnt want to go full low carb cos at the point i was at the gym alot and was only diet and exercise only so wanted a balance diet in that sense, so learning to read the food labels etc helped me choose my food wisely.

Since then my HBA1c has been in the 6.5 area for the last 12+ months.... due to other circumstances I need to in more control and try and get my BS lower so on metformin now. I'm still being good tho to the extent of not eating known high sugar food (which before i occasionally treat myself to)

Anyway definitely a course i would recommend too!!

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
Well I went.

On the whole good. It was information giving and sharing no "you must eat this", "you must not eat that".

Advice on low GI foods and generally not eating a carb rich diet.

No pushing exercise or diet just information about choices and opportunities to be more active.

The main problem for me was there really was too much to get through in one day so if there is someone who rambles on you end up rushing.

Information on what is likely to happen if you don't look after yourself. negative about self testing but advice given on how to do it well if you do choose to do it. Pretty much made it clear that it is your choice to test if you want to.

Information was clear and simple.

Overall worth going