DESMOND debarcle

helenb

Dislikes
Bad service in shops and ****** drivers (and 4X4s that have never seen the countryside!).
debarcle - def = A total, often ludicrous failure
Apologies now for this being so long but I have so many niggles I just needed to vent to people who’d understand.

Well, I had my DESMOND session on Thursday, haven’t posted anything since then as I wanted to calm down a bit as I found the whole experience very frustrating!! :evil: :evil: :x

I thought one or two of you might like a laugh so here is a synopsis (I could have written a book) of what we were told and how the day went.

On arriving in the meeting room we were greeted with free tea, coffee and biscuits – yes the Hob Nobs were piled on the plate. Not one healthy snack option in sight. :lol: :lol:

The two DSN’s introduced themselves and then we went round the room while they grilled us on our current situation. I thought that this was quite difficult for some people as some of us were on medication and others not, and it became clear that those on meds felt they’d failed already. Plus being interrogated about everything about your health is quite uncomfortable :oops: in front of a room of strangers, and if anyone asked a question the answer was either “well cover that later” (and then didn’t or “what do you think” (sadly, no one answered “if I knew the answer I wouldn’t have asked!”). Anyway, when I did my bit and they asked me if I knew why and what caused my diabetes I answered that I thought it might have a lot to do with insulin resistance – they then asked me “are you a nurse” as presumably no one who attends one of these sessions knows this!

Then we met DESMOND :lol: – a wobbly magnetic board with the outline of a man on it which they then stuck cut-out bits of his innards (some not placed anywhere near they are in the body!).
At the end of this session I did ask where his barrow was – I don’t think they got the joke but perhaps they don’t like The Beatles and I was beginning to think Ob-la-di ‘ell :lol: .

When we started to play with plastic food I nearly lost it. I had told them at the beginning of the morning that I have been a vegetarian for over 25 years and since diagnosis am 98% vegan and wanted some advice on a Low Carb Veggie diet. They gave me a plastic slice of meat – I reminded them I was veggie so they said “ooh, sorry, here you go” and gave me a plastic fish instead :roll: – I ask you (I think I started to froth at the mouth then – perhaps I rabies instead of diabetes).

So you can see how the day was panning out, and no doubt can imagine how things went when they subject of testing was brought up (not by me I add but I was going to). They said to the lady who brought it up “you really must stop testing, as its going to make you paranoid about what you eat. OK, everyone lets think of all the reasons why NOT to test”, I tried to get over the reasons why we should. I nearly blew a gasket. We were told that our PCT will not prescribe strips to Type 2s – even those on meds as it “doesn’t change anything”. Well we all know how untrue that is.

When we came to the subject of blood pressure (very pertinent with mine having gone sky high with frustration!) over half the attendees did not know what their figures were as their GP had told them “it’s normal”, so they had felt no reason to ask. They were then told by the DSN’s that they should challenge their GPs and demand the figures and unless it was 135 / 70 tell them it was not normal and have it out with them. I suggested that if they thought that people would be comfortable doing this they were sadly mistaken. Plus, if they felt this was an issue with the GPs in the area that they should issue a directive to them about what they considered “normal for a diabetic” and not leave it up to patients to do their work.

And don’t get me started on the term ‘Normal’ as we were told many times during the day that “a normal person would be.... but you [freaky abnormal people – well that’s how I was made to feel] would be.....”.

They seemed totally obsessed with talking about low fat food and no mention of reducing carbs in any way. When I questioned that fact that they had but Potatoes down on their list as a slow release carb I was totally ignored (I was obviously ear marked as a trouble making low carb obsessed nutter).

I was asked at the lunch break how I knew so much about diabetes, so told them the truth, having been diagnosed nearly 3 months ago I have had virtually no info and no support from my GP so have made it my business to find out how to deal with being a diabetic and what it all means. I got the feeling that this was something they don’t see so often.

So now we are drawing to the end of the day so best to leave us with another bitter taste in our mouths. The fact that we had probably “caused our diabetes because of our lifestyles”. Even though 4 out of the 10 of us were not over weight and one of us cycles 100 miles and week and always has done. Plus, one of the chaps with the worst numbers was probably the skinniest!

I could go on and on and on but what’s the point. It’s 7 hours of my life I’ll never get back and I’m cross about that as I could have done a lot of exercise (no, sorry “activity” – we are not allowed to use the word exercise as it signifies gyms and stuff – no, really!!!!) in that 7 hours not to mention read a book on Low Carbing or taking a class in relaxation as I needed when I got home.

I’m so disappointed :cry: as I really wanted the session to be different, but sadly had gone expecting what I got. What a waste of resources eh.

helenb

Dislikes
Bad service in shops and ****** drivers (and 4X4s that have never seen the countryside!).
Forgot to also say that when I also mentioned the Dawn Phenomenon as my BS level goes up from first waking to when I actually eat (sometimes and hour or so) they told me it couldn't be Dawn P as that only affected children and teenagers. :roll:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
This is the problem.
Few "Experts" actually know anything about diabetes, because they haven't experienced it
Hana

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dear God, what a depressing story! :evil:
It does sound as if the whole point is to dumb down instead of inform.
Couldn't have taught them anything Helen? :lol:
Seriously though, any diabetic depending on this sort of programme to help them get proper control is going to be so badly let down. Sigh.
Just as well there are places like this instead.

All the best and thanks for sharing Helen,

fergus

helenb

Dislikes
The sad fact of this all is how little information some of the other diabetics there had. More than 50% had no idea about what levels they should be aiming for with their HbA1c results (although only 3 out of 10 had had the test). As for food, most of them seemed to have ramped up on the fruit uptake as they had been told to "eat healthily" and it was clear many thought potatoes were ok to be included in their '5 a day' target. So, I am sure that for the totally naive ones the day was of use. However, I still think there was not enough emphasis on reducing the bad carbs but only on reducing fat.

C

catherinecherub

What really has to be asked is, "Who educates the educators?".

If the knowledge that is imparted to the participants is flawed can we really blame the people taking these sessions. They were taught the things that they are spouting. It may have been through lectures or text books. The problem lies higher up the chain surely?

Angela72

Hi Helenb,

I have also just finished a DESMOND course. Mine was 3 thursday afternoons over 3 weeks. I have to say my experience was more or less the same as yours. I found it very frustrating, there were six of us and all of the other five were aged late seventies to early eighties. Me being 37, felt a little out of place but got on with it thinking I must be able to learn something to get better control as I've been struggling lately (although I do have better control than I did since going onto a basal/bolus regime). Odd comments were keep coming from the older ones like "can you eat digestives" and then "what about bourbons" and then "I quite like wagon wheels aswel". I found it hard keeping my laugh in at times especially when they mentioned erectile dysfunction :lol: :lol: .(at that point there was a lot of mumbling ). :lol: :lol: I did realise though that the whole course was aimed at losing weight and like you mentioned most of the people there were not even over weight and for being the age they were, they were really fit, putting me to shame. If anything it has made me think as being the youngest there by far, I certainly wasn't the best of health. We also were not advised to check BS but we were all given a pack of urine strips ???? which I thought quite bizzare :shock:

Angela x

C

catherinecherub

Here you can read a positive experience of DESMOND.

http://www.desmond-project.org.uk/programmes_02.html

I think a lot depends on how early after diagnosis you attend and also how proactive you are in using every tool possible to learn about your management. For some the shock of diagnosis lasts quite a while and the last thing that they have on their mind is what they plan to do about it.

Levels for older people seem to be more lax as a lot have other health problems to contend with so perhaps the answer is to divide the groups into ages as well. Not every diabetic is prepared to take control so perhaps the minimum provided by some courses is all they really want to know.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
While I agree with a lot you say, Catherine, I think it is wrong of them to assume that older people will only want the basics. Going by a lot on this forum who are older many want to take control and should be given the tools and knowledge to do so.

C

catherinecherub

Agreed Sue. Everyone should be given the opportunity regardless of age. I had read the previous post to mine and it seemed that biscuits were uppermost thoughts there. :lol:

I remember going on something similar and it was very educational and included monitoring, choice of foods etc. and there was a gentleman who was a diabetic who spoke about how he managed diet control and had been doing so for 40 plus years. He was a wizard at explaining everything we needed to know and the diabetic educators knew their stuff as well. There must have been 20+ people there and I couldn't fault it. We had our levels taken before we ate the lunch provided, diabetic friendly, and 2hrs. afterwards to show us how to monitor. This was a local level programme and was excellent.

helenb

Dislikes
Catherinecherub - your day sounds so much better than than mine. They wouldn't have tested anyone as they clearly against this in our area which is a shame as the figures were definitely something some of the group wanted to know more about. That would have been a great way of showing them how things change when you eat.

We brought our own lunch and they didn't check what we had. However, I noticed that one of the DSNs was eating pappy processed white bread with a cup-a-soup so perhaps wasn't the best role model for us. She also was showing quite a bit of 'visceral fat' as they loved to call it so I rest my case. However, so were quite a few of us too :lol: :lol: :lol: . However, I felt very virtuous with my Quinoa and Chickpea salad and a bottle of water.

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
The advice for T2s regarding carbs and BG control is virtually nil, the only information I got was to cut the sugars, opt for low fat foods and eat plenty of starchy carbs. T1s are taught to carb count so the relationship between carbs and BG is recognised, but it seems this doesn't apply to T2s. Compare the advice given on this American diabetes education site to DUK/NHS dietary advice.

http://www.deo.ucsf.edu/type2/health-ma ... rates.html

Perhaps if this advice was given on the Desmonds course, it would result in a better understanding of the effects of carbs on BG control, this link shows that as far as HbA1c goes Desmonds does not deliver.

Conclusion A structured group education programme for patients with newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes resulted in greater improvements in weight loss and smoking cessation and positive improvements in beliefs about illness but no difference in haemoglobin A1c levels up to 12 months after diagnosis

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/abstract/336/7642/491

Graham

helenb

Dislikes
Thanks for the link Graham, I've not seen this site before.

What astounds me is that everyone on the course had been diagnosed some 2 or 3 months ago, so if DESMOND is going to make any impact early on it should be early on.

I would have rather had the cost of the day as test strips as that would have been much better for me but you don't know that until you go do you.

I have to now try and persuade my GP to give me my strips he's said no once already, I'm at a loss how to go forwards with this one.