Desmond

Rosiegough_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Evil beings. Destroying our beautiful Planet X
i am going to a Desmond one day course next Thursday with my hubby, is this a good idea? My life is upside down at the moment with lack of sleep and depression, last night absolutely NO sleep at all again although the night before last I finally got over at 4am ish.
I feel really low

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like you need some phychological support for diabetes. You may this from the Desmond course.

The only thing that bothers me is the diet advice they may give. The official guidelines seem to be to eat carbohydrates at every mean and low fat food. The experience on this website is that carbohydrates keep your blood glucose levels high, so you need to be on a low carb diet, with increased fat in your diet to compensate for the lower carbs.

Reactions: Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I found the DESMOND course useful in reassuring me that I wasn't going to get immediate complications, so it will probably be good for you too.
But the diet advice isn't good. They advocate the outdated NHS advice that you should continue eating carbohydrates - the 'Eatwell Plate' (one third protein, one third veg, and one third starchy carbs). As starchy carbohydrates turn to sugar in our bodies this isn't good for Type 2 diabetics.

Rosiegough_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sounds like you need some phychological support for diabetes. You may this from the Desmond course.

The only thing that bothers me is the diet advice they may give. The official guidelines seem to be to eat carbohydrates at every mean and low fat food. The experience on this website is that carbohydrates keep your blood glucose levels high, so you need to be on a low carb diet, with increased fat in your diet to compensate for the lower carbs.
Well my eating is very little at the moment and not any pasta or rice but the odd tiny potato. No sugary drinks etc I loved fruit but now have a few blueberries. My appetite is not good since I was diagnosed

Rosiegough_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Does everyone end up with
I found the DESMOND course useful in reassuring me that I wasn't going to get immediate complications, so it will probably be good for you too.
But the diet advice isn't good. They advocate the outdated NHS advice that you should continue eating carbohydrates - the 'Eatwell Plate' (one third protein, one third veg, and one third starchy carbs). As starchy carbohydrates turn to sugar in our bodies this isn't good for Type 2 diabetics.[/QUOT
Does everyone end up with complications?

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
No, Type 2 diabetics only get complications if they have prolonged periods of high blood sugars. Your bs levels aren't too high. People with higher levels have been able to reduce them. A lot of us on here have reduced our bs levels by adopting the Low Carbohydrate High Fat (LCHF) approach to eating, and exercise can help too.
The T2 diagnosis made me change my way of eating. I certainly don't want to risk complications and my bs levels are now non-diabetic.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well my eating is very little at the moment and not any pasta or rice but the odd tiny potato. No sugary drinks etc I loved fruit but now have a few blueberries. My appetite is not good since I was diagnosed
When I was first diagnosed I didn't know what I could eat, and only ate tinned salmon and mayo sandwiches made with wholemeal bread for the first 3 weeks. But you will find a lot of useful low carb recipes and meal ideas on this forum, and on dietdoctor.com.

Last edited: