Desmond's

DotiBits

Just got back from part one of the Desmond's course ! All I can say is WOW! I feel so much happier and in control! Wish it hadn't taken ten months to get on the course! Can't recommend it highly enough!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Re: Desmond's

I considered it to have been a complete waste of a day in my life. No mention was made of testing and eating to your meter. The dietary emphasis was based solidly around the NHS Eatwell Plate along with the current dogma of cutting all saturated fats out and eating heart healthy whole grains etc.

A diet, that thanks to me having bought my own meter and strips I know is deadly for me.

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).

My GP charges for the Desmond course! - £50 a ticket with a buffet, bingo and a raffle for a BG meter (used). (well I thought this was funny..)

Q..

DotiBits

I found it friendly, informative and it was told as it is! No fluffy comments!
( no raffle or buffet ....but no charge either!) It was stressed that we are all individual s with regards to diet etc but just being with people in a similar situation took away the isolation feeling.

Tone39

Hi I went to the Desmond as well very good, enjoyed it a lot but still found more questions to be answered I'm T2 just over a year now I'm now finding my BG are all over the place after I thought I got them under control, any help!!!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry, must agree with paul_c, I have been following the NHS guide lines and for me have ended up in a right mess.......have changed my diet and know in control.

Sadnessnormal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Machines
Am due for mine in January hope it's not a waste of time. Need some friends who are in my position to relate to. Cuz am forced to keep my diabetes a secret.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Sadnessnormal and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to see you are feeling low and don't have anyone to talk to about your condition. Diabetes isn't something to be ashamed of, though sometimes the media might seem to make it seem to be. Anyone can get it, we don't chose to have it, and I think I have read that 3.5 million people in the UK have diabetes, so you are not alone.

Being diagnosed as diabetic is a shock though, and it does take a bit of time to come to terms with it. But it is a condition that can be managed with diet, exercise and medication if necessary. But you have found this forum and it is a great place to find advice and support from people who also have this condition.

I found the DESMOND course to be useful in understanding diabetes and learning how to deal with it. Some people on here do have criticisms of aspects of the course, but you can read the different opinions of how cope with diabetes on here, and decide what is best for you.

Don't feel you need to be sad or alone. You can always talk to people on here who understand. Take care.

RYU

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
having to take medication
Well I'm due to do my Desmond course tomorrow. I got a phone call yesterday telling me that there had been a cancellation and did I want to attend. I was so very tempted to reply 'No I'm on the waiting list for the warm fuzzy feeling it provides me with' but then my adult side kicked in (as it sometimes does) and I said 'Yes'.

Sadnessnormal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Machines
I have my Desmond course book for next year finally got. Spot am looking forward to it actually. Thanks for all the help and care. It means a lot to me