Dexcom G5 Transmitter reawakened after expiry date

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
My Dexcom G5 transmitter went over its 105 day mark on 11th January. At that point I switched it over to xDrip.

Today, mid-afternoon, xDrip stopped working, then the Dexcom app on my iPhone asked me for a blood glucose reading. The G5 app has reconnected and is now working with no issues, even sending data to share.

This all seems a little odd, and I wondered if anyone else had seen this behaviour?

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's put a slightly different perspective on things. At 105 days did the mobile app ask you to pair a new transmitter and at that point did you switch to xDrip? Because although it's asking for new transmitter (and not displaying a bg number in the circle), the graph still updates and numbers still go into Share. I got around that by using Urchin on a Pebble as the display, but only until the sensor session ended as it wasn't possible to restart the sensor any more once the tx was officially expired.

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
14199443_1174292492641189_1007060717468893156_n.jpg

At this point Share was still working, even though it looked like the tx was dead, so bg numbers were going into NightScout via my bridge which meant Urchin could pick them up*. As that black circle wouldn't go away, the tx was dead when the sensor session ended.

* the latest version of Urchin can now pull numbers from Share, it couldn't at the time, and also display OpenAPS and Loop info.

Edit: Further technical explanation found on YouTube:

Last edited:

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thanks @CapnGrumpy. I think that may be the key point. Although I am beyond the sensor life end point, I changed sensor two days before it was due to end. I presume that it keeps going until the end of last sensor started before the cut off date, even if it over-runs. So the real life of a transmitter is 111 days not 105.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The very first G5 transmitter I ever had (back in 09/2015) would still display the dots on the G5 graph but the actual number went away.

Another one kept saying "This is your last sensor session before your transmitter will stop working" on at least two occasions.

When I use a basic bluetooth signal detection app on my phone I can see that one of my old G5 transmitters (I keep all my old ones) is still transmitting a signal 5 months after I first started it.

Obviously, we all know that the "Low battery" alerts on the G5 transmitters are predominantly not ACTUAL low battery alerts and only align to the 112 day auto shut-off time. IIRC, there are people out there having success with extending the G5 transmitter life using xdrip/nightscout (admittedly, I've never bothered to look into the technology too much because it's not necessary for me).

dpeacock760

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The very first G5 transmitter I ever had (back in 09/2015) would still display the dots on the G5 graph but the actual number went away.

Another one kept saying "This is your last sensor session before your transmitter will stop working" on at least two occasions.

When I use a basic bluetooth signal detection app on my phone I can see that one of my old G5 transmitters (I keep all my old ones) is still transmitting a signal 5 months after I first started it.

Obviously, we all know that the "Low battery" alerts on the G5 transmitters are predominantly not ACTUAL low battery alerts and only align to the 112 day auto shut-off time. IIRC, there are people out there having success with extending the G5 transmitter life using xdrip/nightscout (admittedly, I've never bothered to look into the technology too much because it's not necessary for me).
Would you sell me one of your old G5 transmitters?