Dexcom G5

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello all,

If you saw my first topic I was planning on getting a Dexcom G5. Well it has just turned up and if I wasn't at work I would have had it in by now!

So while I wait until I am home if anyone has any tips (especially insertion) or if anyone has any questions about it, just let me know.

I will report back.

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Don't forget that when you start the sensor, it takes 2 hours to initiate, and then requires 2 BG readings ... best not start it at 1am, unless you are prepared to be awake at 3am! I would buy some skin tac liquid and flexifix tape (I find the 1m x 10 cm roll best). Secure the sensor and transmitter with both of these as I have found once the sensors starts to move, the accuracy drops off.
I cut a square patch of tape, with a whole in the middle to go around the sensor, so it lies flat on the skin. I also have two strips crossed over the transmitter to secure that for when I inevitably knock in on door frames etc. There is a warning not to cover the transmitter, but I ignore that personally, as I couldn't see why it is any different to the layers of clothes I wear, and I have seen no negative affects so far.
Accept that the first sensor run is more of a trial, where you will need to start to learn where and how you should have placed it, and how you should have secured it, and it may not last that long. There are a couple of good youtube videos if you do a search. Personally I have only ever placed it on the back of my arms, but its a horses for courses ... and each person has there own preference about locations.
Calibrate at least twice a day, and aim to do it when you BG is level if possible, rather than raising or falling rapidly.
Download the Dexcom studio software, prepare to revel in the information, realise how blind you were and really appreciate the fact that you are, right now, about to change your life with 288 BG readings in exchange for just 2 finger pricks each day!
Finally, appreciate that whilst I find it incredibly accurate, the readings are a guide, and the true value is putting the trend into context ... not so much where it is, but more where your BG is heading,

Reactions: 4 people

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have bought the skin tac wipes (wanted liquid but couldn't find it for as cheap) and I purchased the opsite flexifix from amazon.

I think i am going for the abdomen for my first site, I don't have any chub on my arms at the moment!

iHs

Ive been using the G5 for the past month and so far its good but probably not as good as its been made out to be but thats just my opinion. Works well with the Dexcom app on a mobile and no need really to use Diasend.
Inserting the sensor is exactly the same as the G4. I used liquid body tattoo glue that comes in a nail varnish type bottle with a brush so easy to apply to the underneath of the sensor adhesive and like above poster, use either some Tegaderm or other sticky film like Flexifix or ClearFilm. The G5 transmitter is slightly larger than the smaller version G4.
In general compared to bg testing which I also do about 6 times per day just to compare readings with the G5, often the data is no more than 0.3mmol out but can at times be about 1.5mmol difference so calibration of about 4 times per day ensures that the sensor behaves itself.

Reactions: 2 people

iHs

I have bought the skin tac wipes (wanted liquid but couldn't find it for as cheap) and I purchased the opsite flexifix from amazon.

I think i am going for the abdomen for my first site, I don't have any chub on my arms at the moment!

I always tended to put the sensor in the lower part of my tummy but looking back, I had a lot of ??? come up about 16 days of using it and by day 18, it was useless carrying on so took it out. Through chatting to people in person they told me to use my arms just like the Libre so came home and had a think. The next sensor got put in my arm which doesnt have loads of meat on it anymore and OH helped with the insertion and the sensor went in about 6" up from my elbow on the side of my arm and not the back. It behaved itself as good as gold with no trouble whatsover and lasted for about 40 days.

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow thats pretty long! I really don't know where to put it! I may stick to abdomen for the first one and then during that time look into other sites

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry to double post, my arms are skinny as anything at the moment, i never noticed until the nurse asked me to hold it out to take some blood. How much chunk should i have to make a site possible for the sensor?

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other

My gf helps me with the insertion, and has a problem applying the flexifix if she gets any skintac on her fingers ... she commented on this when I mentioned the skin tac wipes, but either way, if you've got someone to help you, I'd say its well worth it!

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ahh good point about the skin tac!

Edit: and the extra pair of hands!

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Sorry to double post, my arms are skinny as anything at the moment, i never noticed until the nurse asked me to hold it out to take some blood. How much chunk should i have to make a site possible for the sensor?
I have incredibly skinny arms and don't have any problems, finding it painless in the top half, and then a little sensitive for the first couple of days if I do it closer to the elbow. As I alternate arms, it means each arm gets between 3 and 4 weeks to "recover" I have not had any problem going to the same area each time.

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What are the results like from the arm to abdomen, do they differ much? Assuming you have tried it in the abdomen at some point

iHs

If you look on utube at inserting Dexcom sensors in the arm, you will see that if the arm is rested on top of the back of a settee for support, flesh can be pushed up to create a mound so that the sensor goes into flesh or get someone to bunch the flesh up for you and then insert the sensor. Remember to hold the clear plastic outer funnel correctly and use the first 2 fingers on the hand to push down on the outer circle of the funnel and then using the thumb, press down on the white introducer to the bottom and you will hear 2 tiny clicks. Once that is done, keep the thumb still on the white introducer but move the first 2 fingers of the hand that wwere above the plastic circle, to underneath it and then slide the clear funnel upwards to the top and then use other hand to squeeeze the sides of the front plastic sensor surround inwards and that will enable the introducer funnel to be removed by tilting it forwards. Once that is done, slot in the transmitter like a ski boot and make sure that the transmitter is in correctly by lifting up the little transmitter key up to lock it in the sensor housing and then twist the key to make it come away.
Its best to start these sensors off when bg levels are fairly stable and not moving. Think about a low carb eve meal tonight and put sensor in about 4hrs later or get home tonight, dont eat anything and then start sensor off and only eat something no carb about 5hrs later.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd be very careful if you decide to do an arm insertion. I've wasted two sensors as a result of trying to insert them in my arms and that was following two of the more popular YouTube videos about how to do it.

I will say that my situation is a bit "unique" as I have large arms and a low body fat percentage. What seemed to happen in both cases was that the sensor wire didn't stay in my arm fat and caught my muscle. This caused the wire to bend and resulted in moderate discomfort and very inaccurate readings.

iHs

My gf helps me with the insertion, and has a problem applying the flexifix if she gets any skintac on her fingers ... she commented on this when I mentioned the skin tac wipes, but either way, if you've got someone to help you, I'd say its well worth it!

When using SkinTac I have a bowl of warm soapy water near by so that after the tac is applied you can quickly wash the hand to remove any stickiness and dry it while waiting for the skintac to go sticky. Dry the hand thoroughly before applying the clear film over the top. Tegaderm is probably the best regarding removing the backing paper ok, just fold the Tegaderm in half, cut out the rectangle for the transmitter to go through with a pair of sharp scissors that can be kept for cutting Tegaderm etc and then put over the sensor still with the backing paper on but where it has been folded, pull back one side and apply the body glue to the top of the sensor, remove the backing paper of folded back bit, and then lay the film over the top of that part of the sensor. Repeat then with the other side and then pull off the white outer edges of the film .

SkinTac can be re used a few times by wrapping it up in some tinfoil and add an alcohol wipe to stop the tac from drying out and store in fridge until needed again.

Reactions: 3 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
When you read the instructions for applying Dexcom sensors, it really does demonstrate just how easy the Libre applicator is!

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you got a libre? How do you find it if you do have one?

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok so the sensor is in!! I kid you not it took nearly an hour due to the fact I saw the needle and my phobia kicked in! By the way, for anyone else worried, it hardly hurt, not even a pinch to be honest.

Sensor warming up, haven't eaten yet due to wanting my levels stable but i fear i may have to eat soon, maybe not too many carbs.

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Up and running!!!

d03759716ac627ad011894fb71a59234.jpg

Reactions: 4 people