Diabetes and Balance problems

Barney 1

Hi All, I have just been diagonsed Type 2 yesterday. Five years ago I had a funny head / feeling off balance problem which
I had on and off all year but in the end it came for 3 months solid. After alot of tests including a MRI scan I was found to have a 40 percent imbalance in my left ear. Fast forward to July 2012 I felt I had the same problem come on again which I put up with
until December 2012 when I went to see my Doctor, he said he didn't think it was a balance problem and sent me for a general
blood test, which came back with border line high blood sugars. I then had a fasting blood test again borderline which ended up
with me having a Glucose tolerance test this Monday and the diagnoses I'm diabetic but should be controled by diet.
My father died from diabetic complications and I' am keen not to follow but I still have this permanent funny head / off balance
feeling which makes it had to concentrait on sorting out the diabetes. My Doctor say's I need to get the diabetes under control
and he thinks the funny head will go.Has anybody else suffered this as a symptom ?
Thanks in advance if anybody can help me.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi Barney 1 .
Welcome to us all here :wave:

What other meds are you taking ?
Check the leaflets in their packaging for possible side effects like with, vertigo etc

Do you have any high or low blood pressure issues ?
Any dizziness history?
Can cause balance issues.

Inner ear infections can cause balance issues.

Sometimes very high level or too low sugar levels may have an effect on a persons balance.
We are all different though what affects one wont affect all exactly the same...

By funny head symptoms if you are referring to a muggy fog head feeling ?
Yes that 'can' be related to - too high blood sugars
As a lot of us can feel very drained, lethargic weary when high blood sugared for some time.
Hence we can feel foggy headed sometimes.
Once the blood sugars get lowered and better controlled - the foggy head does clear .
As your Doctor says .

Hope this helps you.

Anna.

rquinn5

Thank for that Anna it has cleared up a problem I had with fuzzy/cloudy head when first diagnosed. Was only on a Sunday !!! And after about 18-24 month it seems to have cleared :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Marskid

Hi Barney! I'm a newbie, too. I begin to experience loss of balance whenever my blood reading goes below 5.0 It's a strange symptom because I if I wake up with it, I am aware of it even before getting up. Also, although I feel like a drunk, I obviously don't stagger because people around me seem totally unaware. My only cure is anything with sugar; it goes way almost immediately but leaves behind an odd feeling of "unwellness". Good luck with it.

Virgo123

Hi Barney,

I suffered from light-headedness, dizzy, and the room spinning. Now after approx 15 months since dx, I feel like a new person.
First, my blood pressure was high. 160/100. My FBS was an 8.0. Glucose test 16.0. I was in my dizzy heights :( I had intense tiredness and wanted to collapse in a heap at times, so tired.

I have cut all starches, rice, pasta, potatoes, breads/flour. No sugars for me. I eat a sm amount of Low carb fruit ie berries mainly. I find that LC is what helps correct those numbers and the body takes a while to adjust, possibly 6months at best.

Have patience, try to test with your home meter daily and see what foods will spike you. Its the best way to get control.

Good luck and you will learn a lot here from more knowledgeable members.