Diabetes and Coffee

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
We have had people on here who state that it does.......however, speaking personally it has no effect on MY Bg levels whatsoever (home brewed or Instant) ........good job really as I drink loads of it. :D

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
A white coffee made out of vending machines can defintiely raise blood levels. THink it is someting to do with the whitener powder in them. Don't think it has anything to do with spouts, as most of them just pour hot water into the powdered drink.

Also depends of course what type of coffee you are having a milky one from starbucks will raise me, and also the nice vanilla ones from M&S....oops showing a bit of naughtiness there!!!!

Normal instant coffee in homes doesn't raise mine, or coffee machines at home either...

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
Think the only way that you will know is to test yourself before a coffee and then an hour and perhaps two hours later. It is the only way I could know this for me.
The caffeine in coffee raises mine ever so slightly so I drink decaffeinated tea and coffee these days to claim every little advantage I can. Coffee shops make a decent decaf these days so I order a long black (think that might be Australian terminology as it was not a common descriptor around the world when we went travelling) with cream or full cream milk on the side so I can control how much.
Alison

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Never noticed coffee increasing bg, donnellysdog makes a good point about vending machine whitener, I am sure this amongst other ingredients contains glucose so this would effect bg. Just remember blood glucose doesn't stay static throughout the day and small fluctuations are seen just the same as in non-diabetics.

Nigel

jameshallam

there is a Bunzl coffee/tea machine in my office (small 125ml cups).
I emailed the company to ask them about carbs in the drinks, I've copied a summary below.
It seems to be the whiting powder (and sugar!) that give the carbs...

9 floz/Drink Carbohydrate
Fresh Brew Tea Black TRACE
White 2.2g
Black with Sugar 3.68g
White with Sugar 5.88g

Fresh Brew Coffee Black Nil
White 2.2g
Black with Sugar 3.68g
White with Sugar 5.88g

Instant Coffee Black Nil
White 2.2g
Black with Sugar 3.68g
White with Sugar 5.88g

De Cafe Coffee Black Nil
White 2.2g
Black with Sugar 3.68g
White with Sugar 5.88g

Cappuccino Without sugar 6.1g
With sugar 9.78g

Espresso Black Nil
Black with Sugar 3.68g

Hot Chocolate 18.75g
Chocomilk 20.05g

Café Mocha 17.5g

Orange Syrup 4.99g
Lemon and Lime Syrup 4.99g

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Wow, thanks for the that James, very informative.....

Sue o2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
jameshallam said:
Cappuccino Without sugar 6.1g
With sugar 9.78g

Wow think i have to limit these to two a day :shock:

PickledPepper

Someone told me to be wary of coffee and tea as a diabetic because it puts the kidneys through the motions trying to clear it, and that kidneys are compromised when you have diabetes and need to be treated with care.

Anyone else heard this or it 'old wives tales'?

PS - No offense intended to any wives out there!

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I don't know whether it's an old wives' tale or not, but if you drink plenty of water during the day it helps your kidneys flush things out. I aim for 2 litres over 24 hours - tap water.

Viv :)

Sue o2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
viviennem said:
I don't know whether it's an old wives' tale or not, but if you drink plenty of water during the day it helps your kidneys flush things out. I aim for 2 litres over 24 hours - tap water.

Viv :)

Hi Viv,
I was told once by a doctor that if my sugar readings were high to drink plenty of water, so now i make sure i drink water through the day, I'm low carbing too and my readings are much better and i feel much better for it :D

Sue

nmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One of the main ingredients in coffee whitener is glucose. From what I can see it's about 25-28% glucose by weight.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
nmc said:
One of the main ingredients in coffee whitener is glucose. From what I can see it's about 25-28% glucose by weight.

Your right nmc, its mentioned earlier in the thread.

Nigel

I've started using Alpro Low Fat Soya Milk instead of Dairy for most things, including coffee. Coffee shops all now seem to have soya milk and I like hot soya milk in a coffee shop. Virtually no carbs. Perhaps try it for a week or two and you will get used to it. Give it a good shake as it settles. Plenty of calcium from other foods. Hazel nuts are high in calcium.
tricia

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
wycombepumpers said:
I've started using Alpro Low Fat Soya Milk instead of Dairy for most things, including coffee. Coffee shops all now seem to have soya milk and I like hot soya milk in a coffee shop. Virtually no carbs. Perhaps try it for a week or two and you will get used to it. Give it a good shake as it settles. Plenty of calcium from other foods. Hazel nuts are high in calcium.
tricia

Be careful with the Soya Milk........unsweetened has only 0.9g carbs per 100 mil.
However the normal sweetened Soya Milk which many places use has 3.7g per 100 mil. Another Member was caught out thinking it was all 'virtually no carbs'.........

Source: Calorie Carb & Fat Bible 2011