1. Handy Hint: You can tag users in a post to attract their attention by typing @username - Try tagging Giverny in some posts by using @Giverny

DIABETES AND DENTAL/GUM PROBLEM

Discussion in 'Diabetes Medication and Drugs' started by Acharia, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Acharia

Acharia Member

In the recent email it was emphasised how important is oral health for those suffering from diabetes. I wonder if the forum should start a petition for the Health Secretary that dental treatment should be free for all diabetics. If all agree why not do it right away. Thanks
  2. Osidge

Osidge Moderator

Acharia

There are certainly well demonstrated links with poor glucose control and poor dental health. There also appears to be a connection between periodontitis and other conditions such as nephropathy, heart attack and stroke. That said, it is probably not a good time to be asking for something from the Government which could be very expensive, especially when those on benefits may already qualify for assistance on income grounds

This forum is not, however, a campaigning body so cannot formulate a petition. Were a member of the forum to research and put together their own petition on http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/index.html then it may get the support of members of this forum, as well as others.

Hope this is of use

Doug
  3. Margi

Margi Active Member

I have to agree with Doug that I believe prescriptions should only be free to those who can't afford them. If I was earning more than enough to be comfortable, I would feel guilty about getting all my treatment and medication for free when I could pay.
  4. Serena51

Serena51 Active Member

Which email was that?

Do I need to sign up for it?

Jane
  5. catherinecherub

catherinecherub Forum Regular

There is help for people on low incomes.
    http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcost ... costs.aspx

An e-petition now needs 100, 000 signatures to be debated by the Government.

I don't think that people with diabetes should accept free dental treatment as a right and nor do I think that people who can afford it should expect a cencession. The NHS is in a mess at the moment and it's survival as we now know it seems precarious.
  6. noblehead

noblehead Forum Regular

[quote="catherinecherub" The NHS is in a mess at the moment and it's survival as we now know it seems precarious.[/quote]

Precarious is to polite a word Catherine! :(

Nigel