Diabetes and Driving

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sure this is probably written wrongly, as is often the case, but seems to make out that there will be a blanket ban for diabetics?

Hopefully this is not the case and it just remains as it currently is with having to fill out a questionnaire at the end of your license term.

Seems like it might only affect Scotland though as it is Police Scotland that are proposing it.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/f...ive-new-approach-needed-to-tackle-road-chaos/

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, hopefully you're right ! I enjoy driving. Any suggestion of a blanket ban for diabetics would be wrong and unnecessary. Speeding, impatience and lack of courtesy for other drivers and road-users (eg pedestrians and cyclists) are worse dangers on the road.

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it is just the way the story is written but it is in quite alot of the Scottish papers this morning.

fionnhutton

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I turned 18 last week... applied for my licence after receiving a car for my birthday. Such a huge hassle

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
I turned 18 last week... applied for my licence after receiving a car for my birthday. Such a huge hassle
Fionn
Much to do with diabetes is a huge hassle. I find that the best way for me to manage it is just that. We have to get on with it. Nowt else will work. **** it !

Reactions: 6 people

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why don't these so "senior officers" start to find ways to catch drivers using phones, stop cyclist riding bikes without lights, etc; etc;
Honest diabetics reveal everything that is necessary to the DVLA to ensure their driving licence is approved.

Police officers serve to maintain laws not make them.
We already have devices that can ensure vehicles can only use the authorized speed limits,yet Big brother says no, but we have "Automatic number plate recognition" to ensure the money is coming in.
Sorry for a slight rant, :)

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It would be interesting to see what she actually said.
Last year I had to persuade my father to stop driving. He has serious CVD including arrhythmia for which the guidance says
Symptomatic – Driving must cease
if an arrhythmia has caused or is
likely to cause incapacity.
Re/licensing may be permitted when
arrhythmia is controlled and there is
no other disqualifying condition
He also has what I consider to be seriously sight restricting maculopathy . No doctor had told him to inform the DVLA or even suggested that he shouldn't drive.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Can't get the page to load, but it was only recently that the DVLA were considering extending licences for type 1 from 3 years to a max of 10 (in some circumstances).

Reactions: 4 people

max8031

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am a type 1 diabetic since 2005. I have recently applied to renew my licence and phoned up dvla finding out where my licence is as my old one has ran out that I could still drive until my new one arrived. At no point was I informed that there would be a ban on driving.

drakman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
racism, bigotry and fashion
As I understand it the restricted driving only comes into force after a second Hypo in 12 months needing medical intervention and then only if you do not recognise it yourself, I have had the odd hypo but realised in time, checked my blood and acted to rectify the situation, when I was first diagnosed I notified DVLA and was told no action needed as I am type 2 but given the full advice to clarify. Professional licenses and type 1 is limited to 1 hypo before restrictions apply this applies across the UK at the moment

max8031

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
To drakman I have never had a hypo that has needed medical attention and I have been on a restricted licence since we first got my licence

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
As I understand it the restricted driving only comes into force after a second Hypo in 12 months needing medical intervention and then only if you do not recognise it yourself,
Yes the licence is well and truly restricted 2 assisted hypos and your licence is gone. It doesn't matter if you recognised the hypo or not.
If you are hypo unaware then it's automatic.......no licence.
Anyone on insulin be it type 1 or 2 have a restricted licence of 1 - 3 years.

Reactions: 2 people

heavenlybrute

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Type 2 for nearly 6 years and now on insulin for just over a month. Just been informed by DVLA I now have to have a 3 year restricted licence. I have had 2 Hypos which I dealt with myself in 6 years and fully aware of the warning signs. They always seem happy to take things away but not give anything to help or support.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Type 2 for nearly 6 years and now on insulin for just over a month. Just been informed by DVLA I now have to have a 3 year restricted licence. I have had 2 Hypos which I dealt with myself in 6 years and fully aware of the warning signs. They always seem happy to take things away but not give anything to help or support.
The DVLA are treating you in exactly the same way as anyone else with a medical condition that can or may impact on your fitness to drive.
You have to remember for every ten sensible driver with a medical condition there's always one who will disregard all the rules/recommendations and thus put every other road user at risk.
The simple solution is that if you want to drive then look after your diabetes.

Reactions: 8 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

It's the norm for people on insulin to have a restricted licence, but as inconvenient as it may seem the rules are there to keep everyone safe on the roads.

Reactions: 4 people

ftt1960

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not a lot
I was diagnosed as T2 32 years ago but have not needed to inform DVLA, as I'm not on insulin. I do hypo but generally just get on with it. I was diagnosed with neuropathy 4 years ago but only found out recently that I need to inform DVLA about this condition. I can't understand why my GP didn't tell me about this!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Even certain drugs and depression is notifiable. At least we're not epileptic.... Where they remove license.... Having good control is key...

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I was diagnosed as T2 32 years ago but have not needed to inform DVLA, as I'm not on insulin. I do hypo but generally just get on with it. I was diagnosed with neuropathy 4 years ago but only found out recently that I need to inform DVLA about this condition. I can't understand why my GP didn't tell me about this!
It's not the GP's responsibility it's yours. You filled in your driving licence application form and signed the declaration when doing so about informing them of certain medical conditions.

Reactions: 5 people

Phub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Hate the doctor's surgery. The Doctor is okay though.
I suppose this means another hike on my Motor Insurance...

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I suppose this means another hike on my Motor Insurance...
Ins companies are not allowed to hike ins premiums due to someone having diabetes.
If you think your premium has been hiked then shop around.