1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, Royal Holloway, University of London are conducting a study to understand how people with diabetes create and share knowledge online. Get involved here »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Diabetes and Kidney disease

Discussion in 'Diabetes Complications' started by Motherhen2014, Feb 9, 2017.

1. gangadharan_nair

gangadharan_nair Type 2 · Member

2. sin85

sin85 Type 1 · Newbie

Hi can I ask you, what where your symptoms when you started having trouble with your kidneys? I am type1 and have it 13years lately I've been getting lots of kidney infections(3 since January) the last one cleared last week but I have been so thirsty lately and have a funny taste in my mouth. My hba1c is 7.7 but up to recently it had been over 8. I'm waiting on a kidney scan but my doctor says there's no sign of kidney issues in my blood test but I have a lot of pain in my back and under my ribs, I think this is the start of some kidney damage. Just wondering what symptoms did you have to begin with?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Motherhen2014

Motherhen2014 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thank you for this I am 70 this December and I am obiese, I have disabilities including mobility and cannot exercise,I took. myself off or red meats a couple of years ago, I only eat chicken except when I have breakfast out.
    I had a scan for bladder problems and they scanned my kidneys and said they were smaller, I drink no added sugar fruit juice regularly, my doctor says my kidneys are under a lot of strain, he will not give me testing strips even though I have asked for them he says my diet is fine but I need to lose weight, which is hard for me, I am thinking of going to the aqua pool (don't know if that is the right term for it) but it is the warm pool which will hopefully help me to move better and lose weight.
    When you say control protein do you mean having little of it. I very rarely have cheese, eggs, bacon, will sometimes have chips out but not often, but will have Jacket potato.

He has taken me off Metlformin and has kept me on a byetta injection which has helped me lose weight while on Metformin but now I am finding it harder. I have no way of knowing what my blood sugar is as I can not test it, but it seems I will have to buy my own testing strips.

I am grateful for your post as it helps to get information from someone like yourself, thank you so much.

4. sheepie123

sheepie123 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I dont know about this - The more protein on a LCHF Diet the harder kidneys have to work to remove it. Meaning that you could get a false positive.

5. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Fruit juice contains fructose, a sugar, and quite a lot of it, so you do need to check on the amounts in various foods to see what is safe.
    I cannot eat potatoes in any form without a high spike, as they contain starch, which is digested to form glucose, so I would really advise that you do get a meter and test your levels after eating so you can see which foods are safe for you to eat, and which cause spikes over 2 whole numbers (in mmol/l) which can cause damage. There are meters which do not cost a lot to use, as the strips are quite cheap and can be reduced with discount codes.

6. kentish maid

kentish maid Type 2 · Well-Known Member

my doctor told me a few years ago that I had chronic kidney failure and not to take anything for pain but panadols I had a kidney scan showed my kidneys are very small when I saw my diabetic nurse this year I asked her about my kidney function she said it was very good for a women of my age but she is very reluctant to give us our blood results as she thinks it would only worry us.

7. Ymdawd

Ymdawd Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You have an absolute right to know your results. Make a point of asking.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Motherhen2014

Motherhen2014 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thank you for your reply.I am in hospital at the moment after having a sepsis shock due to cellilitus.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook