1. We're hosting an online Facebook Q&A with Dr Hilary Jones on Mon 27th October - do you have any questions about diabetes that you would like to ask him? Head over to our Facebook page to submit your questions

Diabetes and PCV/HGV licence loss

Discussion in 'Diabetes Soapbox - Have Your Say' started by Leyland21, May 31, 2008.

1. Leyland21

Leyland21 New Member

Hi all.

Is there anyone out there who has lost their job as a PCV/HGV driver as a direct result of being placed on insulin after a diabetes diagnosis?! I'm in my mid-twenties and lost my PCV licence and job as a bus driver after being diagnosed with Type 1.

I'm sick of reading research (ie. May 2008) which clearly confirms (again!) that such individuals pose no greater risk on the road. Why do they have to blanket ban us? Why can't we be assessed as individuals? I've written to my MP and other high ranking individuals, but no-one seems interested in addressing this issue.

It'd be great to find someone in the same position as myself. Indeed, I know there are hundreds of people out there who've suffered at the hands of this unfounded discrimination. Advice/opinions welcome.....
  2. sugarless sue

sugarless sue Forum Regular

Talk to 'Geezer' he's just been through the same thing!
  3. tango

tango Member

after being diagnosed type 1 a year ago my consultant told me that the government was constantly assessing these bans and that over the years other bans have been lifted and in his opinion one day individuals will be assessed and could therefore regain their licence.I too lost my Lgv licence, but as a firefighter it was only part of my job to drive lgvs and had no impact on my employment. But here's one for you, it is deemed too dangerous to carry passengers in a taxi, minibus or bus but i am allowed to drive all other fire service vehicles of which there are many types other than lgv's under blue light conditions. And this is the same for all the other emergency services subject to their own force allowing them.
  4. lionrampant

lionrampant Active Member

It's the same damned argument as the one against letting us fly passenger planes.
  5. Graham55

Graham55 Active Member

Hi,
    This country is about 300,000 drivers short , I dont think it will be long till this is all changed with the way our economy is going.
  6. stockcar19

stockcar19 Member

Surely a diagnosed and well controlled Diabetic is safer than someone who is undiagnosed and totally unaware of their condition.Also must be safer than an Eastern European who has never passed the correct driving test but has come over here and been let loose driving 38 tonne artics.Or someone who has driven across Europe,had two hours kip on the ferry and then drives another shift in this country.
  7. griswolds01

griswolds01 Member

i have just been through the same thing i used to drive a "class 2" lorry when i was on tablets but when i was put on to injections i lost my licence and had to apply for the 7.5 ton which i got after about 3 months of form filling and medicals, lucky for me work was quite patient and found other jobs for me whilst waiting
  8. manley10

manley10 Member

Hi all

I have held my licence for some 25 years and never recived a black mark on it inall that time. The DVLA in its out of date 1900s mind wants to get up to date ie able to test your blood in 5 sec or less, what you need to carrie, like your blood test equ, sugar drink if needed, log book, and test three times a day to keep it under control,if this was law there would be no problums and most important know the signs of low levles, NO problems, easy, funny you can drive a car fast, drive it with a trailer, Tracror with a trailer, Combine, 35 tonne track digger, D8 dozer and these can cause damage but you keep it under control, so why not a class one with rules ie a log with your levels in which are looked at once a month like your taco disc's. I hear in some of the EEC countrys you can drive with type one but you have to keep a log we are in the EEC or is it just when we have to pay them money it is not helping us is it.

Not Happy John :(
  9. Cameraman

Cameraman Active Member

Perhaps it needs someone to challenge the ruling in the infamous "Court of Human rights" as in its my right to earn a living doing what I've always done safely
  10. Rach79

Rach79 Active Member

Type 1 Diabetes and becoming a firefighter

I am attaching the posts below relating to the loss of HGV licence. Do these rules still apply does anyone know as I can't find anything on the internet apart from there is still an existing ban which is ridiculous. Also the main question is, has anyone got Type 1 diabetes and been able to get into the fire brigade. It's something I've always wanted to do but in the past the rules have discriminated against us all. Has anything changed or are the government still living in the dark ages and I am just living in a dreamworld?

Rachael :?
  11. Cameraman

Cameraman Active Member

Nothings changed, no restrictions on licence for diet. Annual review and restriced for medication other than injection. Loss of licence if on injections.

Theres a thread running somewhere where I posted my latest letter from DVLA explaining it all.
  12. Cameraman

Cameraman Active Member

Re posted if it helps at all.

Attached Files:

13. Dennis

Dennis Well-Known Member

14. Rach79

Rach79 Active Member

I have created a petition at 10 downing street asking for the ban to be lifted on insulin dependant / Type 1 diabetics. If anyone wants to sign it they're welcome. I want to be a firefighter and think it's unfair that because I'm diabetic I can't apply. Apparantly there is a rule (after someone fought hard) that current employees that are firefighters and become type 1 diabetics can keep their job but applicants who are newly diagnosed diabetics or have had diabetes type 1 cannot get a firefighter job.... what to do... sign the petition!
  15. Rach79

Rach79 Active Member

16. hanadr

hanadr Well-Known Member

I know this sounds like sour grapes, but quite recently in Canada, A driver driving a big truck had a hypo and crashed killing some people. (I can't remember the details) whereas, I'm against people losing their livelihood and you can't predict unexpected heart attacks for example, You can understand where the DVLA are preferring to err on the side of overcaution
  17. Rach79

Rach79 Active Member

Hi no I like to hear all opinions. That's pretty bad that happened and I can understand in a way, however (and there is a however) if you were a diabetic who took tablets and blood sugars were very high (which I know a couple of type 2's that are this way because they don't wish to test or have been told testing isn't important) then you are likely to be sleepy and lethargic and your driving reaction times are likely to be a lot slower which in my opinion is far more dangerous! However this seems to be allowed and personally I don't think it should be. The HGV driver who had the hypo should have had good feelings of his / her hypos (which is in my argument in the petition that if you don't then you shouldn't drive anything) - if they had then they should have pulled over and stopped, simple as that... same as a car driver like myself has pulled over and stopped whenever they have felt a bit strange. It is pretty bad what happened and I do understand being cautious but the DVLA should make it so diabetics blood sugars are at a good level before driving, and / or if driving for long periods of time (often like HGV drivers do) then they should eat snacks and /or test themselves at regular intervals. This is a lot more sensible and would limit chances of hypos by I reckon about 80%. Also the danger of killing / injuring yourself or others could be eliminated if the above was carried out and then THE SECOND you feel strange find a good place to stop immediately, test yourself and if low, have a sugar and a snack and keep testing until sugars regain back to normal. It's what I do whilst driving a car, doing sport etc. and it is what I'd do if I was permitted to drive HGV :-/
  18. tubolard

tubolard New Member

DUK are formulating something they like to call the Diabetes UK European Manifesto :)

One of the manifesto requests is to pass legislation to make it an offence to discriminate against, or impose a blanket ban on, people with diabetes holding any category of driving license, and require individual assessment to ascertain an individual’s ability to drive

Regards, Tubs.
  19. Woody729

Woody729 Member

Hello all,
    First Post, please be gentle..lol.
    I have recently been put on insulin, and as such had my HGV license and PSV License revoked by DVLA Swansea. I drive for a living, and it would appear my job as a HGV driver is gone. I have heard if you passed your HGV test before a certain date, you were able to hold onto your HGV license,with well monitored levels, does anyone have any infomation about this. I keep hitting hurdles and brick walls. I was also reading the following web-page:
    http://www.roadtransport.com/Articles/2009/11/24/135069/Individual-assessments-for-drivers-with-diabetes.htm

Has anybody got any infomation regarding a possible overturn on the blanket ban? I have spoken to a solicitor regarding Disability Disgrimination Act. It would appear if you are a HGV Driver who has been put on insulin, then the DDA goes against your position.

I look forward to replies. I do feel this issue is a hard pill to swallow. HGV drivers are professionals, well trained drivers, with the current decline of HGV drivers in this country, I personally think the Government should be looking for ways to maintain HGV Drivers and of course PSV Drivers too.

My Post may read a little bitter to some people, for that I apologise. However I for one feel we are all being discriminated against. We all have the right to work.
    Thank you for reading.
  20. catherinecherub

catherinecherub Moderator