1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Diabetes and the Armed Forces

Discussion in 'Jobs and Employment' started by SootieSteve, Jun 29, 2017.

1. SootieSteve

SootieSteve Type 1 · Member

Hi, just been diagnosed Type 1. I've been in the Armed Forces (Royal Marines) for the last 25 years.

Are there any other servicemen/women out there that have been diagnosed whilst serving?? If so, were you medically discharged or allowed to continue to serve??

I look forward to hearing from you

2. Kenners

Kenners Type 1 · Member

Hi Sooty,
    I know an ex-Royal who got type one about 10 years ago. Wanted to stay in, but ended up with a medical discharge after all the medical/ employability boards. The pusser will generally discharge type 1s from what I've read; certainly you couldn't join up with it. I hope I'm wrong and you get to stay in the corps.

3. SootieSteve

SootieSteve Type 1 · Member

Cheers @Kenners.

That's the general perception I'm getting. The MO phoned me whilst still on a drip in hospital to tell me the same, but I hope in this day and age there is scope to retain me.

Thanks for your advice mate

4. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I recall another member who was diagnosed whilst in the army. The feedback he was given was that if they could find him a role that wasn't front line/deployed (essentially a desk job) they may be able to retain him, but as you can understand, it's too much of a risk to have a T1 on the front line with potential limited access to supplies and the risk of hypo being a liability to the team with which they are operating when in hostile conditions. Good luck!

• Like Like x 2
  5. EllsKBells

EllsKBells Type 1 · Well-Known Member

When I did my carb counting course, there was a T1 there who'd been in the air force, but was medically discharged upon diagnosis.

Best of luck!

6. ringi

ringi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Do you like training people, if so, the TA etc may have a job you can do? Likewise any UK based training post for the Marines or army. The RAF also have people who guard UK airfields and never get deployed.

The concept of you having to choose between getting a hypo or taking a break to eat while under fire is just unthinkable...... (hence the forces rules)

• Like Like x 1
  7. MartinK9

MartinK9 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thankyou for your service.

8. copepod

copepod Type 1 · Well-Known Member

One of the main concerns, in addition to risk of hypos, is the supply line for essential medication ie insulin. Obviously, food, ammunition etc are also essential for armed forces, but an exact bullet or item of food doesn't need to be sent to every individual serviceperson. I had resigned from a TA medical unit in order to travel, then was diagnosed when working overseas, so became not able to continue with my job, so with no work permit, I couldn't stay in New Zealand, had to return to UK, find new career etc. Rejoining TA was not open to me in 1996.
    I hope things might have improved by now.

• Like Like x 1
  9. GrantGam

GrantGam Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I very briefly looked at joining the RAF reserves, simply to get some other form of training (and potentially a different career) during my time off from my actual job.

After looking online at their medical criteria, I soon found out that it wasn't an option as a T1.

Good luck and I hope you find the answer you seek. Failing that, I hope you find alternative employment:)

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook