Diabetes and work

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi All

Does anyone struggle with working full time and having this condition? Ive been diagnosed 5 years and the tiredness can be so draining! My sugars are more or less stable but the long hours are feeling never ending.
Just wondering if anyone feels the same?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I certainly feel more tired working full time than before I was diagnosed in my teens, but I don't know if that's because I have children and extra work or if it's connected to the diabetes. For me, I found a change of insulin improved things enormously, but I do still think that diabetes may have some kind of effect on energy, even if only a small one, depending on the person.

Just my personal view and experience :)

Mal1978

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I tried working last night for the first time since being diagnosed, night shift so to speak, my bloods dropped and started feeling hypo so had a some jelly beans(all I had to hand) but for some reason towards the end of the shift I shifted in the other direction and went hyper so for me it's a case of finding a balance between the two especially with it being a sometimes physical job

Gaztheoldpunk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've never had any problems with work.. diagnosed T1 32 year's ago, worked full time 30 of em!! If anything I feel worse when I stop at weekends..!!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi All

Does anyone struggle with working full time and having this condition? Ive been diagnosed 5 years and the tiredness can be so draining! My sugars are more or less stable but the long hours are feeling never ending.
Just wondering if anyone feels the same?
As someone who has had diabetes since being a teen, I can't say that long hours has made any difference regarding working or playing (and I've done plenty of both in the last 27 years ;) ) While you say that your glucose levels are stable, are they stable at a sensible level (e.g. 4-8mmol/l) or are they stable at higher than that? That will definitely make you feel worse. If you are able to maintain good levels, I don't believe that you should feel particularly tired.

I'd also add that maintaining good levels also means staying relatively stable within your range. If your blood glucose is up and down a lot, it will also affect the way that you feel.

If they remain in the lower range, it sounds more as though you struggle with your job than something that diabetes is particularly affecting, although the diagnosis may have made you subtly reconsider what you consider to be interesting and as a result, you are subconsciously finding that your job is a bore.

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i feel better at work than at home, bloods prefer work but yes, i often feel really tired. esp as i hardly sleep at night either. fun times

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Yes I struggle too - I was working full time when diagnosed and was completely drained, even after diagnosis my energy levels weren't great, mentally it was more draining as I was working full time, mum to a 4 year old and trying to manage my diabetes, no one ever understood except for my brother. I work till 3pm now, income has dropped massively but I collect my daughter from school and am not so drained now. It's striking a balance which really only you can decide is right for you, based on the financial vs the mental.

iHs

In my working life, I just used twice daily insulin and remembered to eat meals on time and also a snack. I was very busy with my work and juggling home life with looking after the welfare needs of my mum and father in law as well as diabetes, so it was never a dull moment for me for long. Looking back, I seriously would not have wanted to use MDI and liked the more care free way of dealing with diabetes even with the odd hypo now and again. My bg levels were always at an acceptable level and my hba1c was nearly always at the same % every 6 months.

Reactions: 4 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
As someone who has had diabetes since being a teen, I can't say that long hours has made any difference regarding working or playing (and I've done plenty of both in the last 27 years ;) ) While you say that your glucose levels are stable, are they stable at a sensible level (e.g. 4-8mmol/l) or are they stable at higher than that? That will definitely make you feel worse. If you are able to maintain good levels, I don't believe that you should feel particularly tired.

I'd also add that maintaining good levels also means staying relatively stable within your range. If your blood glucose is up and down a lot, it will also affect the way that you feel.

If they remain in the lower range, it sounds more as though you struggle with your job than something that diabetes is particularly affecting, although the diagnosis may have made you subtly reconsider what you consider to be interesting and as a result, you are subconsciously finding that your job is a bore.
Yes I totally agree. Unstability is what makes the body tired. Metformin was great for that for me when fairly newly diagnosed but now on mixed insulin I struggle. Up snd down. Even on low carb as as soon as I have any carb up they go. I feel on bad days I cannot win.
Stable, in range levels are the answer. I strive to obtain long term instead of short term.
This is where these forums are great for encouragement and advice. I cannot do without support now.
Keep striving as YOU hold the key. Once obtained you will find more energy for a fuller/happier life.
I'm on that quest too. I've been there so know it exists. Goodluck. I'm looking forward to seeing you in the success testimonies. :)

johnbear2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
conservative polititicians
I am type 1,and work in retail security in a well known food store,which can be a challenge because some management complain about me injecting or ask why am I feeling unwell standing all day

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I am type 1,and work in retail security in a well known food store,which can be a challenge because some management complain about me injecting or ask why am I feeling unwell standing all day
Some people will never understand. You stay healthy and happy, forget them. Ignorance comes in many forms!