diabetes cause you hair

bisawani

Can diabetes cause you hair to fall out? I have diabetes (newly diagnosed, but apparently I have had it fo a while and didn't know it according to my doctor) and my hair keeps falling out near the crown and in the back, causing thin spots.

victoria84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
my hair keeps falling out too, i was diagnosed in April, i asked my hair dresser about this and he said it can only happen with an iron or vitamin D deficiency. So i am curious what other people have to say on this :)

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine has always fallen out, I'm 23 and diagnosed T1 in February. I have mild alopecia. The stress of diagnosis could be causing the hair to fall out? If its patchy it sounds similar to alopecia.

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
I too have iron deficiency, but have Vit B supplements. Are you or I wrong? I have vit B strong compound. Not pointing the finger, I want to know.

Mart.

Agnnessa

I've spoken about the hair loss with my gp and diabetes nurse and apparently it is normal due to the body going through severe shock and adjusting to new hormone treatments. Was told that once my blood sugar levels are fully under control and are stable, hair loss should stop and hopefully regrow. But due to the hair growth cycle it might take around 6 months if not more.

My blood results didn't show any vitamin deficiencies and still I'm loosing a lot! :( I've been reading on other diabetic forums and apparently biotin (vitamin B) should help to stop the hair loss. Been taking those for few days, no change yet (other than slight headache).

Hope this helps, but would like to hear other people experiences too!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
bisawani said:
Can diabetes cause you hair to fall out? I have diabetes (newly diagnosed, but apparently I have had it fo a while and didn't know it according to my doctor) and my hair keeps falling out near the crown and in the back, causing thin spots.

Hello bisawani .

Another thing to possibly consider is Hypothyroidism with an [underactive thyroid]
This can/will cause hair thinning and shedding .
Plus thinner very dry skin too .
Maybe suggest this to your own GP/doctor ?

This is an autoimmune condition and 'is' linked with diabetes too .

Mine fell out enough to make a new wig out of it all :thumbdown:
Ended up on both thyroxine replacement therapy [ for rest of life]
And hair thickening/strengthening shampoo's too .

It has taken me 12months to get my very thin and dreadfully weak hair
back into a much better condition and appearance.

Hope this can help .

Anna .

benjygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
disrespectful people
My hair fell out in handfuls when I was in hospital after being diagnosed Type 1. My consultant told me this was quite normal because of the shock to the system the body shuts down all non essential things and hair and nail growth are two of them. I'm pleased to say that after nearly 3yrs my hair is more or less back to normal, although a little thinner and dryer than it was before. Must admit its a really frightening thing (especially for a woman)

Agnnessa

Just as an update, I've been taking biotin everyday and been using caffeine shampoo and toner. The rate the hair is falling definitely has slowed! :) I have also been low carbing, which meant my blood sugar levels became lower and more stable. Feeling much more positive now :)

bri281295

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For those who's hair has fallen out, did it eventually stop and how long did it fall out for?

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My hair fell out in handfuls when I was in hospital after being diagnosed Type 1. My consultant told me this was quite normal because of the shock to the system the body shuts down all non essential things and hair and nail growth are two of them
This certainly happened to me during the time when I was losing weight before diagnosis, I even stopped menstruating as a result . Very quickly after starting insulin , hair, nail growth and periods returned to normal.
Interestingly, a few months ago I was diagnosed with autoimmune hypothyroid ; I know it can be a symptom but I didn't actually notice any excess hair loss.

elaine77

I'm pleased to see tis thread as recently my hair has started coming out again. It doesn't come out in clumps like alopecia, it's sort of like its shedding out when I brush my hair like it did when I was pregnant so I'm thinking maybe a vitamin deficiency in my case... The only thing is I feel weird about taking vitamins I don't know whether I trust them or if they work? Do the ones buy from Holland and Barratt etc actually work? Might have to start taking some.....

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 23 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.