Diabetes/digestion probs

Donna1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Does anyone else find there diabetes is linked with digestion probs or visa versa. Ive been gettin stomach probs for bout 2 years but diagnosed type 1 one year ago but finding my stomach problems getting worse. Suggested gastroparesis to doctor but he thinks my symptoms could be related to coeliac disease, gave me omeprazole told me to avoid bread n if symptoms persiSt go back in 2 months for tests!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you had coeliac disease, you would need to avoid more than just bread - you would need to avoid anything that contained gluten with more than 20 parts per million. Having said that, you would need to still be eating gluten to get tested.

Reactions: 4 people

sunday1980

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who value money over family/friendsip
I'm type 2 but since my symptoms started a year ago, I've had bad stomach cramps with urge to go to the toilet suddenly, and it has to be fast! Lol, I think it can go hand in hand, was only diagnosed this year and started on metformin so it can't be that, tho I'm sure it does not help, but get it whether I take it or not.
As you r type 1 I'd hazard a guess that it 'may' have some auto immune link, so celeiac could be likely, certainly worth ruling out by a blood test while u are still eating gluten. I've known a few celiac and life improves dramatically once they were diagnosed.

Reactions: 2 people

yingal2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spicey food, taxi drivers, hypos & hypers, pigeons, hospitals, dentists, my GP, my ****** immune system.
I notice that when my sugar goes high to any degree I end up with awful stomach cramps and the runs (sorry). Happens every time! Doctor gave me Omeprazole 3 years ago and it does diddly. Omeprazole is mainly for acid reflux in the stomach and oesophagus and doesn't do much to help inside the small and large intestine. I did some research myself and found that Colpermin tablets really helped with this and obviously trying to keep the sugars low (which is no easy task!). Here's a link for the tablets I buy here in Northern Ireland http://www.boots.com/en/Colpermin-I...mmc=pla-_-google-_-PLAs-_-PLAs+-+All+Products

Doctor also said he thought I had IBS but refused to send me for allergy testing as it apparently is still very hit and miss. Don't know if he was trying to fob me off, who knows!

Sunday1980, I was on Metformin (as a type 1) and I had terrible gastric problems with it. Couldn't leave the house at all because of the tummy issues. Was switched to Slow Release Metformin and honestly was not much better. So Metformin can cause gatric troubles too.

Good luck X

Donna1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I have to find out what it is as its every other week im gettin this for 3/4 days at a time n it makes me feel so exhausted i wanna jus sleep all the time.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi I have type 1 and Coeliac disease. But my now teenage daughter was diagnosed in Junior school with IBS ( not diabetic) and is on tablets to help with the symptoms(as she used to be in so much pain with stomach cramps) plus at times diarrhoea, that I rang 111 because from 1 to 10, her pain was 9/10 it was horrible to watch:bigtears: so up setting. My sister and older daughter have/had IBS and my older brother had an emergency op last year because of a twisted bowel. So stomach issues do seem to run in our family.