1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Diabetes has "Resolved"

Discussion in 'Success Stories and Testimonials' started by britishpub, Mar 19, 2017.

1. BarbaraG

BarbaraG Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I've seen several references to the Diabetes Register - can someone tell me what this is, exactly? Is it within your GP practice, regional, national etc?

2. walnut_face

walnut_face Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It is compiled and held at practice level
    however
    http://content.digital.nhs.uk/nda
    annonimised data is shared

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Dark Horse

Dark Horse · Well-Known Member

This is the advice from Public Health England:-
    Current evidence shows that all people with diabetes should be screened for diabetic retinopathy for life once there has been a definite diagnosis of diabetes, excluding gestational diabetes. New GP Read codes were introduced in 2014 to take this guidance into account.

Before 2014, many GPs used the code ‘Diabetes resolved’ for patients whose blood sugar levels normalised following treatment, such as pancreatic transplant, or intensive weight reduction. These patients were then removed from the register of people requiring annual retinal screening – even though their risk of developing diabetic retinopathy may have increased following a rapid improvement in diabetes control.

Such patients should now be classified as ‘Diabetes in remission’. This ensures they are still invited for screening.

https://phescreening.blog.gov.uk/20...dont-slip-through-diabetic-eye-screening-net/

In summary, :-
    • If you have a 'diabetes in remission' code, you should still be called for eye screening
    • If you have a 'diabetes resolved' code, you should not be called for eye screening
    Please do not think that if you have a 'diabetes resolved' code and you are still being called for screening, everything is fine. It actually indicates that precious NHS resources are being wasted. Either you don't need screening or, if you do, it means that the Screening Programme is having to waste time and effort repeatedly contacting the GP to find out the whether the reason for the resolved code is valid.

If you are told that you are being marked as 'diabetes resolved', I would
    • check that the GP is aware of the guidance from PHE regarding 'in remission' versus' resolved' codes
    • if the GP is sure that the code should be 'resolved', check that the GP has fully informed the local Diabetic Eye Screening Programme

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. britishpub

britishpub Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Thanks for that, but I appear to have more faith in my HCP's than you do in yours.

The clue for them is that they don't me prescribe any drugs :banghead:

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Mbaker

Mbaker Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Very well done @britishpub. Apart from your astonishing results, the other 2 takeaways deal with terminology. "Diabetes Resolved" appears to be the medical equivalent of technically "cured" and "Diabetes in Remission" looks like what commonly is referred to as "reversed".

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. douglas99

douglas99 I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Glad you're another one that has such a good rapport with them.
    Seems they are better than some others then.

You don't need to do anything, if you trust them to make sure you keep up with all the other eye checks, annual blood test etc.

7. kokhongw

kokhongw I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Agree Agree x 1
    #27 kokhongw, Mar 21, 2017 at 5:14 AM
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  8. britishpub

britishpub Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Thanks folks for your input.

I certainly will not be making any major changes to my diet or lifestyle in response to this "news" and I'll continue to be vigilant.

I will consider my T2D to have been "resolved" by weight loss, and only a continuation of that will keep it that way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook