Diabetes & hyperthyroidism in the same week

Crydders

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all,

I'm new to this. Last Monday I went to the Dr's to get tested (I was having symptoms of hyperglycaemia) nd low and behold my BG was 17.

On Thursday they took more bloods and called me back because my thyroid is doing cartwheels.

How long on average does it take to return to a normal BG? Can the hyperthyroidism be making this difficult? I've cut back all unnecessary carbs & sugar and I'm not sure what else I can do.

I know it's only been a little over a week but I'm a little gutted I'm averaging 12 with the lowest reading of 8.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

I'm new to this. Last Monday I went to the Dr's to get tested (I was having symptoms of hyperglycaemia) nd low and behold my BG was 17.

On Thursday they took more bloods and called me back because my thyroid is doing cartwheels.

How long on average does it take to return to a normal BG? Can the hyperthyroidism be making this difficult? I've cut back all unnecessary carbs & sugar and I'm not sure what else I can do.

I know it's only been a little over a week but I'm a little gutted I'm averaging 12 with the lowest reading of 8.

Hi and welcome,

I can't comment on thyroid issues as I have no experience of them.

Excellent that you have a meter and are testing, and excellent you have cut back on carbs and sugar ...... but you say "unnecessary carbs". Can you explain what you mean by this?

You are asking how long is a piece of string I'm afraid. Blood glucose levels can come down to normal quite quickly, but not always and not for everyone. This is a marathon, not a sprint, and needs patience and organisation.

Are these readings you give just fasting morning levels, or are you also testing before and after meals? It makes a difference.

A good plan is to keep a food diary including portion sizes. Test before you eat and 2 hours after first bite. Record these levels alongside the food and look at the rise from before to after. If it is more than 2mmol/l (and preferably less), there are too many carbs in that meal, which need to be reduced in portion size or eliminated.

Crydders

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I test in the morning and usually 2 hr after breakfast. It's usually lower after breakfast than first thing.

I meant unnecessary carbs as in not having that peanut butter sandwich after work :)

Hopefully once the thyroid is brought under control in a month or so it might help my glucose levels. I read that it increases you metabolism so much that your insulin doesn't get a chance to do much.

I have been keeping a diary. Usually around 130g or less of carbs. I don't know if that's accceptable or to go lower.

Back at the docs on Friday so I can ask more then.

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
When I eat too low a carb diet I get hyperthyroidism too but only due to being medicated for hypothyroidism for nearly 3 decades now. I've had my levothyroxine reduced since settling on 150g carbs.
I know if I go back to 30-50g carb I may need less levothyroxine again.
I'm due to have bariatric surgery early next year so I'm expecting a reduction to my reduced 200mg, now 175mg.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been keeping a diary. Usually around 130g or less of carbs. I don't know if that's accceptable or to go lower.

In my opinion there is little you can learn from your food diary unless you test each meal. Doing this will show you at a glance whether your food choices are causing your blood sugars to rise. If you test immediately before you eat and then again 2 hours after the first bite at each meal and then record these levels alongside the meal you will see what that meal and those carbs have done to your levels. If the rise from before to after is more than 2mmol/l (preferably less) there are too many carbs in that meal. I suspect that 130g a day is too many, but testing each meal will tell you.

Testing your FBG (fasting blood glucose) when you wake doesn't really teach you anything initially because there are so many factors other than food at play here. If I were you I would concentrate on testing before and after each meal and forget about FBG levels for now until you have your personal carb tolerance sorted out.

Crydders

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Now that I know the symptoms of hyperthyroidism I think I've had it for a while. It runs in the family (skipped my mum & got me) it's just typical that I get diagnosed with both of the conditions in one week and I can't turn to chocolate for comfort.

Hopefully once the pills kick in and the blood sugar goes down I won't be so tired. Drifting off all the time, on the weekend I fell asleep in the car holding a cactus, the other half had to wake me up every time my head got too close.

Crydders

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'll sweet talk the nurse into giving me more test strips. The Dr only said to test once a day at different times, I'm not sure what use that would be.

I'll start doing it more often now and see what happens.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll sweet talk the nurse into giving me more test strips. The Dr only said to test once a day at different times, I'm not sure what use that would be.

I'll start doing it more often now and see what happens.

Testing once a day is of no use whatsoever when you are learning!

You may find you will struggle to get more test strips from the GP/nurse. In fact you were lucky to get any at all. Most of us T2s have to self fund. The meters with the cheapest strips are the Codefree and the Tee2. Cheap strips are best because you will need many thousands of them, unless you have a full wallet. Strips vary in price from over £30 for 50 to under £10 for 50.

Try here for the Codefree meter
http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

Pharmacies don't sell them. There are discount codes if you buy in bulk and don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free.
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

The Tee2 is here. The meter is free but the strips are slightly more expensive.
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/

Also, I forgot to ask if you are taking any diabetes medication?

Crydders

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm on metformin twice a day. I was on Gliclazide for 4 days.

I've got the lancets on prescription so I may try for the test strip. I don't mind paying if needed though.

Thank you for the links.