gingecoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
Tories
I have suffered for a year with terrible itching on the top sides of my hands, from the wrists to the knuckles. Tiny blister followed by sores due to scratching. My doctor tried lots of things but nothing worked. It would periodically clear for a couple of weeks then return for weeks. After a foot appointment I was told I had athletes foot, I got some Lamycl once and applied it. Once my feet were done Lamycl was rubbed around my hands as instructed to prevent spread of fungus. The next day my hands were almost healed and didn't itch. 48 hours later my hands were clear and so far 8 weeks later have stayed that way. It makes me wonder if fungus causes itching as it does with athletes foot. My doctor said it was coincidental and that the fungus "tinea pedis" occurs only on the feet.

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogant and ignorant people.
Ive been suffering from Itchy skin for the last 4 to 5 weeks now and ive tried Eurax which i had recommended but hasnt worked.I also tried E-45 with no results either.Ive been diabetic since Mid August and my itching started about Early September.For a start i put it down to detergent as one of my wifes carers took some washing home with her.I remembered that my mother once used Ariel and it brought me out in a rash which i termed as an Allergy.I asked the carer what she used and it wasnt Ariel so thats ruled out.Reading other posts it looks likely to be connected to Diabetes.Ive also been using Sudocrem.My wife gets itchiness too and the carers cream her all over with Aqueous cream,Sudocrem and Cavalon and Savalon.The sudocrem seems to help her hand itchiness.I might try the Aqueous cream and see how i go on.Im seeing my GP on 27th October about my recent raised blood pressure so if i can limp on till then ill also mention the itchiness and see what he can prescribe.Some times its not too bad but some times i get a bad bout of itchiness for a little while.Ive had genital itchiness for a number of years and usually apply Sudocrem to my groins regularly and it seems to work there.The joys of being diabetic eh.At the moment im not on any meds or insulin im able to manage on diet control and my BS levels although i dont test all the time i sometimes use my wifes monitor and the readings are usually around 6 or odd times up to 7.

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
I suffer mild excema, maybe a possibility with you.

Reactions: 2 people

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I suffer mild excema, maybe a possibility with you.

Thats a possibility.Though i did once suffer a type of excema where by during the summer id sweat normally and in the winter i used to break out in a mad bout of itchiness when i got warm usually at work.I treated it then with Oilatum in my bath several times a week and eventually it went.Havent got a bath here so cant do the same but the itching isnt on the same scale as that was.I can sweat now if its too warm.

MsPrim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lemons
Wow!! So this may be why i have itchy skin on my legs and feet sometimes - no matter how much i scratch it doesn't go away and it actually gets worse and i can scratch till i bleed too :(

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm seeing the doctor tomorrow so ill see what he comes up with its gone on long enough now and at times is annoying.Hope everyone else can get sorted out too :)

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Been to the GP and he has put me on i type of Piriton tablet for my Itchiness and he said it could be a problem with my Liver and has asked me to have a blood test in 2 weeks time and go back and see him 2 weeks after that so he can see more about my liver.Also put me on Ramiperil for the high blood pressure.See what happens next but so far the itchiness has settled a bit since taking the Piriton this morning.

Tesfu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been Type 2 diabetic for 15 years. I was also diagnosed with chronic Hepatitis C 10 years ago. Could someone with similar problems share their medical experience?

Kaha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrite
I have been suffering for last few weeks . Itching almost everywhere ,particularly in legs. Use Nivea cream, Vaseline cream .... Do not know whether is the correct type, but feels better .
Can anybody share more on this?

angelicbaby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lots of mentions of 'Avon Skin so soft' - I first read about it on a Caribbean forum, but not for itchy diabetic skin.......... it is a very very good mosquito repellent !!!!!!!! 8)
I've heard this too. Mozzi's love my blood. I was bitten so many times when on holiday years ago, my fellow holiday makers would play a game of how many bites can you see. Wished I'd have known about it then.

I believe itchiness is a common "complication" of diabetes and going to the Doctors with my problem was how I ended up being diagnosed diabetic. It frightens me to think that this was the high blood sugar attacking my nerve endings. Please ensure your diabetes is under good control. Once I had gotten my BG under 10 (between 5 and 8 now) the itchiness stopped and my body seemed to repair itself.

Reactions: 4 people

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I have been suffering for last few weeks . Itching almost everywhere ,particularly in legs. Use Nivea cream, Vaseline cream .... Do not know whether is the correct type, but feels better .
Can anybody share more on this?

I went to see my GP on Monday and he prescribed me Piriton and so far its worked im not itching anywhere as bad now only odd times.Perhaps you should go see your doctor too.Mine could be liver problems he wants me to have a blood test in 2 weeks time and go see him 2 weeks after that for the results.Hope you can get your itching under control.

DamePeggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For years now I have been suffering from what my GP has treated as eczema of the ears, but now could be diabetes related, I have to treat my skin all over everyday and have cut my showers down to every two days in a bid to alleviate the condition (it's alright I do wash thoroughly on the second day :wink: ) the skin around and in the outer part of my ear is constantly dry, tried everything and currently use E45 twice a day. Have cortisone from GP, but can only use that infrequently, has anyone found a real cure, or a least something that really stops the almost constant itching, especially at night? Worse in winter, but I think that washing my hair daily does not help, but very fine hair that tends to greasiness overnight I have little option.
I have Cetraban Emollient Cream on prescription which does help the itching -also Cetraban Bath "Oil" which really works for me! As a diabetic [and over 60] prescriptions are free so worth asking the Doc!

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My itching seems to have gone away now thank goodness.Good luck to all those who are suffering hope you get it sorted soon :)

Kaha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrite
Good for you . mine also is less now with better BS control(!) ,I guess

Andy_D85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have this...but I also have CKD thanks to mismanagement of my diabetes so I put it down to that as it's a known symptom. However 1 thing I have noticed is the last week or so I've been testing again, and had lower BG's than what I imagine they have been lately, and the itching has gotten worse! Sods law eh?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
just an add on to what has been said already...................i have from time to time had some itchy skin and have used E45 cream -- clears it up nicely !!

garfy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I was diagnosed a year ago, I have had itchiness for at least 2 years. I'm not overweight. I believe my all over itchiness is due to diabetes, but none of the different doctors I see suggest this. On June 2 a doctor said my last test in Feb showed good sugar levels?? I'm no expert, but that was one day 3 months ago? There seems no cure for my itchy skin, but if it is due to diabetes then it could improve with better control of it. The sites on diabetes all say it can cause itchy skin. However, other tablets I take could possibly cause it as well. Itchy skin can drive you mad, but its a minor ailment.
The doctor said as we get older our skin needs more moisture. My father never had dry itchy skin, my mother is 89 and has an awful diet, hardly eats a thing and has no skin problems. She is around 6.5 stone, and can outwalk anyone I know who is 75 plus.

Are the doctors being open minded enough to find my cure, or is it simpler to hand out prescription creams, and on to the next patient?

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have to say that the best thing I have done to stop the awful itchy skin and recurring thrush is to go wholeheartedly for a low carb diet. Getting my blood sugars down has taken away so many of the small things I never knew were to do with diabetes, many of which I have had for years longer than I've been diagnosed - right back into my teens!

Jo123

I only had pre diabetes and used to get itchy legs and feet. I used to itch my legs until they bled, the resulting discomfort was better than the itching. The itching went one I got normal bg levels. I did so by strict dietary controls.