Diabetes, midges and marmite

mish1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,
my mind can be a strange and wonderous place.. I was reading that marmite can help stop midges munching on you, I go camping In Scotland in the summer and midges love biting me , some say that they like the sweet blood of diabetics , the article I was reading said that marmite ( eating it , not rubbing it on ) increases thiamin in the blood and the little biting bu**ers dont like it so stay clear. So I googled thiamin and diabetes ... hmmmm... interesting ... loads of articles about diabetics having a thiamin deficiency , thiamin deficiency effect ability to handle carbs ....
So if I eat loads of marmite ( source of thiamin ) will that help my diabetes ?

Hamish - Ipswich

Defren

mish1953 said:
Hi,
my mind can be a strange and wonderous place.. I was reading that marmite can help stop midges munching on you, I go camping In Scotland in the summer and midges love biting me , some say that they like the sweet blood of diabetics , the article I was reading said that marmite ( eating it , not rubbing it on ) increases thiamin in the blood and the little biting bu**ers dont like it so stay clear. So I googled thiamin and diabetes ... hmmmm... interesting ... loads of articles about diabetics having a thiamin deficiency , thiamin deficiency effect ability to handle carbs ....
So if I eat loads of marmite ( source of thiamin ) will that help my diabetes ?

Hamish - Ipswich

It shouldn't do any harm. Marmite is only 1g of carbs per 5g, and it only used in a small amount. I can't answer about thiamin, but I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me, will be able to answer.

WhitbyJet

mish1953 - how very interesting, I love Marmite, I eat it with lots of butter and homebaked low carb bread. During a weeks camping in Scotland , my daughter, a friend and I were the only ones not bitten by the midges out of a group of 9!
My daughter and friend were eating Marmite on buttered toast - sometimes low carb, somtimes not - for breakfast every morning.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Marmite has long been championed on fishing forums, fishermen sitting all day in reed beds tend to suffer with midge and mosquito bites, Its said to be the vitamin b that the midges dont like and they say you need to eat Marmite daily for a few weeks for it to work as it has some cumulative effect.

Cant comment personally as I am not a Marmite lover :wink:

Another anglers tip that I can endorse is Avon's Skin so Soft moisturising cream and if mosquito's are a real problem then there is nothing better than DEET, something like 'Jungle Formula 50' which as the name suggests contains 50% DEET.

Hope this helps.

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
hmmm interesting!! I grew up spending summers by the sea and I always used to end up with midges bite...i remember gran or mum saying...oh that is because you have sweet blood...if only we knew what was to come :(

mish1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yep DEET does work , but you need a strong solution ( I have some 50% ) and it can be toxic ..."humans may experience memory loss, headache, weakness, fatigue, muscle and joint pain, tremors and shortness of breath." Iv'e used it for years in the Highlands which may explain a lot , but the main thing being that it's rubbish on toast . :crazy:

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Yes I wouldnt recommend spraying it on toast mish :lol:

I have used DEET sprays quite a bit when I was more active and found both the 50% and the 75% worked very well and I never experienced any side effects, that I was aware of. I do seem to remember it having a warning not to get it on clothes as it can stain or something but I also remember spraying it on my clothing when sitting in the rushes for two or three nights trying to outsmart a fish or two.

carthagena.jpg

But for those who dont like Marmite and want a more eco friendly deterrent I can recommend the Avon moisturiser, that is if they havent changed the formula.

mish1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good Grief ... thats huge ... caught by your good self ?

Grilled with a marmite dressing ... :sick:

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Avon do the soft and fresh in a dry oil body spray I think they discontinued the moisturising cream I have always loved Marmite but have always been eaten alive by midges and anything else that bites.
CAROL

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
My husband uses the spray when he goes backpacking and it works a treat. I stay well away from the midgy areas in the summer because I get eaten alive by midges and bitey things and then have nasty reactions to the bites.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I absolutely love Marmite but have no idea if it stops midges from biting. When we holiday in Scotland my wife gets covered in midge bites as where I don't (or not as much), I've taken a Kwai garlic tablet for the last 20 years and they say that insects despise the smell of garlic on the skin so this could be part of the reason why.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
carthagena.jpg

Last nights supper Sid? :thumbup:

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
noblehead said:
Last nights supper Sid? :thumbup:

:lol: No, always returned alive to fight or outwit an angler on another day. Some carp live to be over 50 years of age, and it is not uncommon for some Koi carp in Japan to be reported to live for over 100 years, you cant eat something like that can you :)

Most non anglers are unaware of the work that fresh water anglers do in this country to protect our rivers and lakes and to protect our fish stocks from pollution and predation.

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
That's a fine crucian Carp you have there!! Looks at least 15lb! :shock:

mish1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nicely done Mr Bonkers sir.

I used to do a bit of fly fishing in the River Eden up in Fife in the 1970's , if the trout were a decent size they ended up in the pan !
Mackerel, herring and cod from the Firth of Forth were dealt with in a similar manner .

I'm Scottish .. free fish ... always good :clap:

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I can't understand fishing if you throw it back it grows too big for cooking.
This is what you do with fish
We ate outdoors without marmite and no midge bites to report. :D (temp reached 26C today)

Attachments

• fish dinner.JPG
    fish dinner.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 434

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bigfatpaulie said:
That's a fine crucian Carp you have there!! Looks at least 15lb! :shock:

Not a crucian Paul a mirror and it weight in at 27lb although it has been caught before my capture and since at over 30lb's.

@ mish... I'm not at all averse to keeping sea or game fish for the pot but would only kill a fish if I was going to eat it and land locked fresh water fish would soon disappear if every angler took his/her catch home with them mish, besides I'm told they taste muddy :D

@ phoenix... they look lovely, cant beat fresh caught fish :thumbup:

Mothman

Dislikes
Raw tomatoes and arrogant people.
I cant live without marmite but its not so good on broccoli but ive discovered that burgen bread dosnt upset my BS too much so its on again. Mind you, i didnt mind looking at Sid's bait fish, small and usefull for the sharks i catch.

Andy