DIABETES PLUS ANOTHER CONDITION

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have type 2 diabetes, IBD, non-celiac gluten sensitivity (NCGS), sub-clinical hyperthyroid, and am trying to improve my heart and brain health. Father and his sister both had IBD too. Father had multiple surgeries from age 3 - 17. He died of cancer at age 62. His younger sister passed a few years later, also of cancer.

I was lucky. When I had my first IBD flare in 2000, my gastroenterologist suggested I try the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) as described in Elaine Gottschall's book, Breaking the Vicious Cycle. I recovered.

In 2015, I had my second flare. I recognized what was happening and returned to using the SCD. Nine months later, I wasn't worse, but I wasn't better. Fearing I had cancer, I contacted my gastroenterologist and scheduled a colonoscopy. No cancer, just a very red, angry colon. Within four days, I was back in remission. My speculation is that the colonoscopy prep must have purged the bad bacteria from my gut, and I began to heal.

It's been more than a year now, and I am doing fine eating the low carb diet. I eat animal and plant proteins and fats along with cooked and raw vegetables, leafy greens too.

Elaine Gottschall is no longer with us, but her work continues thanks to the ongoing work of Pam Ferro, R.N. and Raman Prasad, author of the book, Colitis and Me: A Story of Recovery (2003). I just finished his book - (a page turner, didn't want to put it down) - and am still processing what I learned from his six or seven years of suffering, and thankfully, his remission more than 20 years after he began to use the SCD. To learn more, I've posted additional information on the Colitis topic here... http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/colitis.44476/

IBD, like type 2 diabetes is a chronic, life long condition, but many have found that it can be managed with the SCD as needed. If you read just one book, I encourage you to read Prasad's Colitis and Me. He's a gifted writer. Reading his story will convince most that it's never to late to start the SCD, and, more importantly, that remission is possible despite years and years of damage. My hope is that after reading that book, those here with IBD will be inspired to try the SCD.

Once back in remission, managing the diabetes with the LCHF diet/LCKD is so much more doable. Please contact me privately to talk more, any time. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: himtoo

Catiecat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I type2, if I eat cheese, med to high fibre foods I get terrible cramps and diarrhea. Was told by my nurse yesterday that it's only your gut not used to fibre don't worry, continue to eat the fibre you'll get used to it.

Have never been diagnosed with ibs as docs usually dismiss most of what I say. Have said about being very windy and extremely smelly for over 3 yrs... and they have eventually changed my metformin to controlled release... in a month when my current prescription runs out...will have a look at Winnie's link . Thanks

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forum @Catiecat :)

Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Irritable Bowel Syndrome are different conditions, but both greatly impact quality of life. IBD is diagnosed with a colonoscopy, not sure how IBS is diagnosed. Its cause and treatment is less understood, and I suspect it's a "rule out" diagnosis. Fingers and toes crossed your symptoms are due to the metformin, particularly if symptoms started around the same time. The good news is that if it's the metformin, you might be able to learn how to manage your diabetes with diet alone, that is without any medication.

To give you hope, I want you to know that I manage my severe insulin resistance with diet and walking alone - (if I eat a full plate of an omelet and potatoes for example, my glucose levels will exceed 200 mg/dl easily (11.1 mmol/l). With the low carb high fat diet and/or the low carb ketogenic diet, I am able to maintain reasonable glucose levels, typically under 140 mg/dl (7.8 mmol/l) 1 and 2 hours after meals.

Contact me privately any time if you want to talk about the diarrhea. But again, if the metformin is causing it, no dietary changes will turn it around. You'll need to switch to a different diabetes medication, or give no medication a good try.

To learn more about the low carb diet, join us on the Low-carb Diet Forum http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/low-carb-diet-forum.18/ or the Vegetarian Diet Forum http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/vegetarian-diet-forum.71/

Lots of good people here. Ask lots of questions. :)

Sunny66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've been waiting for a thread like this, thanks.

I have mellitus, insipidus, spina bifida and a few other bits and pieces. The ones that affect diabetes most are spina bifida, hydrocephalus - literally water on the brain - and a urostomy due to urine incontinence. I have big problems with hydration.

Due to insipidus I've got a benign pituitary gland tumour. One of the symptoms is drinking too much water so I take Desmopressin to stay hydrated. Hmm...

The first problem is I can't hydrate properly as I constantly wee. The second is if too much liquid ever goes straight to my brain (because of an incomplete spinal column) I'll get some serious side effects and that'll very quickly be the end of me. To say I live on a knife edge wouldn't be an exageration.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I've been waiting for a thread like this, thanks.

I have mellitus, insipidus, spina bifida and a few other bits and pieces. The ones that affect diabetes most are spina bifida, hydrocephalus - literally water on the brain - and a urostomy due to urine incontinence. I have big problems with hydration.

Due to insipidus I've got a benign pituitary gland tumour. One of the symptoms is drinking too much water so I take Desmopressin to stay hydrated. Hmm...

The first problem is I can't hydrate properly as I constantly wee. The second is if too much liquid ever goes straight to my brain (because of an incomplete spinal column) I'll get some serious side effects and that'll very quickly be the end of me. To say I live on a knife edge wouldn't be an exageration.

Aaaw, I feel for you with the diabetes insipidus.. not a great comparison but my beautiful golden retriever had it too.
She handled it so well-used to wait by the fridge door twice a day gor her meds as she knew she would get a treat after!

Also understand living on a knife edge, although not to your degree.

I think when it comes to having multiple critical illnesses that getting a balance in quality of life and overall management can be difficult.

One of my moans last year (not now) was that my consultants didnt see me as a whole person.. they could treat me for one illness but not understand the effect on the other illnesses.

I have a superb diabetes lady that has already sorted out details with consultants and on my electronic files for my next operation (hopefully) in April. This is hugely better to the care I got 18 months ago and I do feel in safe hands and absolutely no worries.

I hope that your health care persons consider you as a whole person too..

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Just to clear up it was done by my request will send you a pm @Winnie53

Last edited:

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks 13lizanne. If my post is separated from the original, it would make more sense contextually for Sunny66 and donnellysdogs posts to be moved back to the original thread. Hope that makes sense.

@andcol @Juicyj

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Where has my comments gone? A different angle compared to original thread, I guess.
Well anyway.
I sympathise with more than diabetes to control/manage or cope with.
There is quite a few diabetics in the many medical conditions boat.
It might be easier to ask if there are anyone out there with JUST diabetes to cope with medically?
I'm convinced mine is immune related as I have an additional attack every decade. Adding another medical condition to my profile. I'm asthmatic now. Inflammation to the lungs. Where will it end?
I hope @13lizanne gets the answer she was looking for. Sending hugs!

C

catherinecherub

Thanks 13lizanne. If my post is separated from the original, it would make more sense contextually for Sunny66 and donnellysdogs posts to be moved back to the original thread. Hope that makes sense.

@andcol @Juicyj
@Winnie53, There was a request for the whole thread to be deleted.
I tried to salvage some of it that was not relevant to the OP.
I could have deleted it all but recognised that @Catiecat was looking for answers. I have done my best.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@catherinecherub I was really confused initially because I didn't understand that the original topic was deleted, but, following my confused posts, I was contacted and an explanation was provided. I understand now that no one did anything wrong. Thank you for salvaging what you could. My husband is a moderater too, so I understand both sides of these issues. :)

@Catiecat sorry this happened. In the two years I've been on this forum, this is the first time I've experienced deletion of a topic. Your post was perfectly appropriate. The deletion had nothing to do with yours or anyone else's posts. :)

I should have said this before, but your doctor should have taken your symptoms seriously. I had diarrhea for 9 months in 2015. I can't imagine 3 years. I know it's not easy, but my hope is that you'll eventually find a different doctor. He/she may be a nice person, but failed you. Diarrhea is a common side effect of metformin. Your complaints should have been responded to by switching you to the long acting metformin first, then another medication if needed. Some doctors, for a variety of reasons, do this. Sadly, it's a long standing problem. It's a process of trial and error, but happily, there are doctors who do listen to and respond appropriately to their patients. My hope if that you'll eventually find one. :)

The good news is that you'll hopefully be feeling a lot better soon. I hope you continue to learn your way around the forum. It's a wonderful, supportive, safe place to ask questions and learn. When I first came here, I was really struggling and got lots of help that first month. Members here helped me work through one problem at a time. You can also learn a lot by reading posts in the beginning. Read, read, read, and post lots of questions too! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: himtoo

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Dont understand any of the deleted posts.. remain confused...

Lynn59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the forum @Catiecat :)

Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Irritable Bowel Syndrome are different conditions, but both greatly impact quality of life. IBD is diagnosed with a colonoscopy, not sure how IBS is diagnosed. Its cause and treatment is less understood, and I suspect it's a "rule out" diagnosis. Fingers and toes crossed your symptoms are due to the metformin, particularly if symptoms started around the same time. The good news is that if it's the metformin, you might be able to learn how to manage your diabetes with diet alone, that is without any medication.

To give you hope, I want you to know that I manage my severe insulin resistance with diet and walking alone - (if I eat a full plate of an omelet and potatoes for example, my glucose levels will exceed 200 mg/dl easily (11.1 mmol/l). With the low carb high fat diet and/or the low carb ketogenic diet, I am able to maintain reasonable glucose levels, typically under 140 mg/dl (7.8 mmol/l) 1 and 2 hours after meals.

Contact me privately any time if you want to talk about the diarrhea. But again, if the metformin is causing it, no dietary changes will turn it around. You'll need to switch to a different diabetes medication, or give no medication a good try.

To learn more about the low carb diet, join us on the Low-carb Diet Forum http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/low-carb-diet-forum.18/ or the Vegetarian Diet Forum http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/vegetarian-diet-forum.71/

Lots of good people here. Ask lots of questions.

Hi there I'm new here , but have been diagnosed with type 2 for several years and ulcerative colitis for 3 years. The diets suggested to manage each are opposed to each other, will the low carb diet really help me manage both . Don't ask me my levels , I don't check it myself Gp says I don't need to. When in hospital the other week to have my gall blader removed my bloods were 8.8 when I was starved before surgery.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forum @Lynn59 :)

I used both the low carb diet and the specific carbohydrate diet when I had an active flare in 2015. There are some differences but there's quite a lot of overlap. Looking at both diets, where are you feeling hung up? :)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi there I'm new here , but have been diagnosed with type 2 for several years and ulcerative colitis for 3 years. The diets suggested to manage each are opposed to each other, will the low carb diet really help me manage both . Don't ask me my levels , I don't check it myself Gp says I don't need to. When in hospital the other week to have my gall blader removed my bloods were 8.8 when I was starved before surgery.
If you can afford it buy the SD codefree meter and strips. Many on here use them. There is a discount code and if you mention diabetic I understand its vat free. Please search these forums for full details.
I will tag @daisy1 for you with some excellent advice for new comers.
Welcome to the community :)

Reactions: donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Welcome to the workd of trying to juggle constantly @Lynn59!!

Its tough especially when the wrong food upsets bowels!! And medication!!
My best friend had ulcerative colitis too. He did manage to find foods that suited him.. you will too.
Its a tough journey.

I have bad stomach and bowels and T1 so I can empathise although you will need to find your own foods through trial and error.

I disagree with your GP.. you need to find out which foods travel ok thorough your body and are ok with blood glucose levels..therefore I would advise you to buy SD as suggested if you can....

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Lynn59 let us know how we can support you right now.

How are you doing following you're surgery? Our daughter in law had her gall bladder removed. I don't recall what her recovery was like, but I imagine she was relieved. Prior to the surgery she was in a lot of pain off and on.