Diabetes Solution book

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all, I'm after some opinion please.

I've seen some of mention of Dr Bernstiens book in different threads. I had a hardback copy years ago - and before I discovered the " LCHF" concept properly. Back then, I found it hard reading, but my focus is different now. I was thinking of buying the updated Kindle edition, but before I do I was wondering if anyone had read it and found it better than/ equal to the general LCFH principles? I'm not doubting the quality of the book/information, more wondering if there's anything in it that isn't now being practised everywhere.

What I mean is (I think) would it be a worthwhile investment, or would I be as well to carry on on with my own LCHF plans? The reviews on Amazon are all great, but then so is the advice on here, and Diet Doctor etc.

Thanks all.

S

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@seanj67 Bernstein is a difficult one. From a T2 perspective, it's not all that different to LCHF, but does tend to include a higher protein content. My take on it is that if you can get hold of a copy at a reasonable price (i.e. one that you are comfortable with) it's worth a read and gives you something else to add to your armoury of action you can take. Thne you can elect which you prefer.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all, I'm after some opinion please.

I've seen some of mention of Dr Bernstiens book in different threads. I had a hardback copy years ago - and before I discovered the " LCHF" concept properly. Back then, I found it hard reading, but my focus is different now. I was thinking of buying the updated Kindle edition, but before I do I was wondering if anyone had read it and found it better than/ equal to the general LCFH principles? I'm not doubting the quality of the book/information, more wondering if there's anything in it that isn't now being practised everywhere.

What I mean is (I think) would it be a worthwhile investment, or would I be as well to carry on on with my own LCHF plans? The reviews on Amazon are all great, but then so is the advice on here, and Diet Doctor etc.

Thanks all.

S
Yes, it does tend to concentrate on protein as an alternative to fat, but the recipes in his Diet book tend to be higher fat anyway. Worth a read if you can get it cheaper, maybe on Kindle

Reactions: seanj67

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I like his hidden tips. Chewing gum. Raising up from bed slowly. And many more tit bits which could come in useful as you experience different levels of diabetes and it's complications. When a change happens in my health his book has some knowledge and wisdom which nhs doesn't approve, eg. R-ala supplement for neuropathy concerns or treatment. Nhs don't even talk about a lot of knowledge in his book. Big shame, I think.

Reactions: seanj67

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it is well worth a read, since it gives another perspective.

Having read the book twice (once just after developing T2, and once more recently), I found a lot more useful info the second time around, mainly because I spent the first reading trying to remember the differences between T1s and T2s, and being horrified at how low he advises carb consumption. :D

Second time around, I had the basics nicely embedded and could appreciate the details, and his carb intake is now comfortable for me.

I find his presentation of food rather depressing. I am guessing that he is someone who 'eats to live' rather than 'living to eat'. So his very plain food descriptions and menus were a shock. But I now know that there is a huge amount of varied and interesting and delicious low carb food out there - all well within his carb quota - I choose to eat a great deal better than his descriptions seem to suggest.

Reactions: ickihun and seanj67

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Great, thanks all, I'll either grab the Kindle version later or dig the old hardback out of the loft!

S

Reactions: ickihun

Seewalk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I like Abel James' The Wild Diet. $18 soft cover and is on the nook. Lots of info and super recipes, snack ideas, how to feed the dog and cat for optimal health and serious low carb high protein and fat recipes without 400 ingredients Published by Avery owned by Penguin Random House. Check it out!

CHIET1

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hyperglycemia, hpyos, fake food!
Yes I have it and I think all diabetics T1 or T2 should have it. For me it's covers almost everything, except maybe more information for kids with T1. I look at it as a reference or instruction manual , it's a very long book and definitely not an easy read. It is so great though to refer to should have be experiencing issues or just need some inspiration / motivation.

He does not as others mentioned advocate LCHF, his approach is focused on protein and max 30g total carb per day for adults. He doesn't go mad on fat, he just takes whatever fat comes naturally with the protein, e.g. Saturated and other fats in beef, eggs, cheese etc...

Also, if you haven't watched his diabetes university vids on you tube you should. They are a great resource and supplement to the book.

His approach is strict , no messing about but it works there is no doubt in my mind about that from my own experience and also others - look up the typeonegrit Facebook page. Parents and kids with T1 following his guidelines and most have HbA1c of non diabetics.

While I don't follow his guidelines to the letter, I have taken so many useful bits of info from his book and videos and put them into practice to manage my late onset T1 diabetes.