Diabetes treatment in "da olden days."

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I'm watching the movie "Hansel & Gretel: Witch hunters. Tonight & was honestly blown away by the amount of technology & fine tailoring they had in medieval times...
They had a crude record player, natty fold out double barrel shot guns. & even a witch proof Gattlin gun...

But what realy impressed me was the insulin treatment they had back then in those dark days of inquisitions & pestilence..
An adult Hansel years after his ordeal with his sister in the house of candy. About 30minutes into the plot chatting in a bustling market square with the guys "love interest" starts to feel unsteady on his feet & stumbles to a step.
Hansel sits down then pulls out a torch sized device. Bravely in public, whilst in front of his new girlfriend injects through his leather trouser leg into his thigh with the shushing sound of a "hypo spray" from Star Trek... After administering the shot. The dialog went something like this.. "I was force fed so much candy by that witch, I was sick. & ever since I have to take this to stay alive." The girl replied with the knowledge of the ancient runes. "Yes, you have the sugar sickness." :confused:

Talk about stereotyping all witches as old hags!!:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wish I'd watched it now - just to see this amazing advanced ancient medical and technological expertise! :D I obviously missed a real treat...

Robbity

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
On the whole it was a good bit of fun..

The diabetic gag was a cheap shot.. But then so was the crudely blown glass milk bottles with the etched images of missing kids being delivered to the idyllic ramshackle European timber houses...

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
Watched the film then watched it again on 5+1 as I loved it so much all that gore couldn't believe it lovely fairy tale and a house made of candy yum yum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I wish I'd watched it now - just to see this amazing advanced ancient medical and technological expertise! :D I obviously missed a real treat...

Robbity

I watched it last night, never seen it before, but drat, I missed the 'sugar sickness bit, probably when I went to make a cuppa, sugar free of course, it was an interesting film, at least Edward the troll was the 'good sort of troll'. But could you imagine trying to treat Eddie troll, if he had the 'sugar sickness' whilst he was having a hypo :nailbiting:................... :eek: :wideyed:+ :nurse:,:doctor: = :dead:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Robinredbreast .

Believe it or not.. I just found a clip of it on Youtube.. I like the way he blows out her support.. (Which funny enough i can identify with.) She "actually knows a thing or two about it." ;) They weren't all that literate back then so it must have been passed down in folklore from an ancient nay sayer that worked in ye olde care home...?!!

Reactions: 2 people