Diabetes Unpacked - Various Authors

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This isn't a book review! At least, it's not a full book review.

I pre-ordered "Diabetes Unpacked" earlier this week, expecting a mid-August delivery and was, therefore, absolutely delighted when it was delivered today. Written in support of the Noakes Foundation (https://www.thenoakesfoundation.org/ ) which will receive 100% of the royalties, its authors make for an impressive list, even to this T2D's newbie eyes:

• Mike Gibbs
  • Dr Malcolm Kendrick
  • Dr Jason Fung
  • Dr Robert Cywes
  • Dr Ian Lake
  • Lars-Erik Litsfeldt
  • Jen Whittington
  • Dr Caryn Zinn
  • Dr Neville Wellington
  • Dr David Unwin
  • Dr Zoe Harcombe
  • Dr Jeffry Gerber and Ivor Cummins
  • Professor Tim Noakes
  • Nina Teicholz

It's divided into three parts, each of three chapters which can be read in isolation but sewn together present a full and rounded view of the extent of the current issue regarding diabetes, where the problem comes from, why the problem exists and why no change has taken place in spite of nearly 40 years of research that has lead to a fundamental understanding into the causes of diabetes.

To be clear, this book is a book that is written by some of the greatest minds in the field, who are all in agreement that diabetes (particularly T2) is both avoidable and reversable with the adoption of LCHF diets. It's not evangelical, it's not forceful. It simply charts the progress of the argument - and what has happened to those who dared to step away from conventional "High Carb, Low Fat" thinking - and where that convention came from.

The dedication reads:

"This book is dedicated to all diabetics, to everyone who knows a diabetic and to anyone who could become diabetic. It is a travesty that we have been advised to "Base meals on starchy foods". There is another way."

I've only read two chapters so far, but I can say that the information is written in super-accessible language (no medical jargon!) and frequently surprises and even shocks me. The chapters that I've read have been filled with powerful facts that are meticulously referenced at the back but contain enough humanity, humour and hope that I've hardly been able to put the book down today.

You might think you understand the history of the T2D / diabetes surge in the last 35 years, but - I promise - you'll learn something surprising and new on every page of this book.

I can't wait to read more.

Reactions: Ian_Laye

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My copy arrived yesterday.. haven't started it yet but looking forward to it very much.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I also pre-ordered the paper back version. It arrived a week or so ago after I ordered it on a pre-launch offer. I am delighted with it, although I haven't read a lot of it yet.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh yay! Hopefully my hardcover edition will arrive soon here in the states! I almost ordered again today, not sure if I'd ordered it or not. Found the purchase receipt in my email so all is well. Can hardly wait!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Does anyone have the ISBN for this? Amazon says it is no longer available and AbeBooks says the title is unrecognised (which is about right for Abe, their site is not a bit user freindly).

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for highlighting this book. I just downloaded a sample to my Kindle app and I'm hooked. Need to get an order in for the book now!

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Does anyone have the ISBN for this? Amazon says it is no longer available and AbeBooks says the title is unrecognised (which is about right for Abe, their site is not a bit user freindly).

I don't think it's officially released yet, which would explain the Amazon thing. You can order it directly from the site I linked and the ISBN number is: 978-1-907797-58-3

I've decided that, on the day I finally come off my meds, I'm going to gift copies of this book to Dr Jenny and Nurse Jayne. Perhaps it would be better placed with the micro-aggressive, fat-shaming Dr Lose Weight, but I don't like him enough to buy him anything - he'll have to borrow Dr Jenny's copy.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It might still be on pre order
http://diabetesunpacked.com
you can buy it for kindle on Amazon but not the physical book yet..
@bullbiker
Thanks, I have a kindle but much prefer a real book. It wasn't available on preorder but I've put it on my list. Will keep an eye out for it, shouldn't be too long.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I don't think it's officially released yet, which would explain the Amazon thing. You can order it directly from the site I linked and the ISBN number is: 978-1-907797-58-3

I've decided that, on the day I finally come off my meds, I'm going to gift copies of this book to Dr Jenny and Nurse Jayne. Perhaps it would be better placed with the micro-aggressive, fat-shaming Dr Lose Weight, but I don't like him enough to buy him anything - he'll have to borrow Dr Jenny's copy.
@SockFiddler
Thanks Sock, it sounds fabulous.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Got it on Kindle app on iPad from Amazon, so now I can read it and not miss notifications from this lovely forum :D

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I like to order that sort of book on amazon, as amazon promotes a book more if more people buy it.

S

serenity648

I have just pre-ordered the hardback. Unfortunately, I am too late to get the complimentary 2 DVD's to go with it, but the book sounds very informative.

Glenmac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This isn't a book review! At least, it's not a full book review.

I pre-ordered "Diabetes Unpacked" earlier this week, expecting a mid-August delivery and was, therefore, absolutely delighted when it was delivered today. Written in support of the Noakes Foundation (https://www.thenoakesfoundation.org/ ) which will receive 100% of the royalties, its authors make for an impressive list, even to this T2D's newbie eyes:

• Mike Gibbs
  • Dr Malcolm Kendrick
  • Dr Jason Fung
  • Dr Robert Cywes
  • Dr Ian Lake
  • Lars-Erik Litsfeldt
  • Jen Whittington
  • Dr Caryn Zinn
  • Dr Neville Wellington
  • Dr David Unwin
  • Dr Zoe Harcombe
  • Dr Jeffry Gerber and Ivor Cummins
  • Professor Tim Noakes
  • Nina Teicholz

It's divided into three parts, each of three chapters which can be read in isolation but sewn together present a full and rounded view of the extent of the current issue regarding diabetes, where the problem comes from, why the problem exists and why no change has taken place in spite of nearly 40 years of research that has lead to a fundamental understanding into the causes of diabetes.

To be clear, this book is a book that is written by some of the greatest minds in the field, who are all in agreement that diabetes (particularly T2) is both avoidable and reversable with the adoption of LCHF diets. It's not evangelical, it's not forceful. It simply charts the progress of the argument - and what has happened to those who dared to step away from conventional "High Carb, Low Fat" thinking - and where that convention came from.

The dedication reads:

I've only read two chapters so far, but I can say that the information is written in super-accessible language (no medical jargon!) and frequently surprises and even shocks me. The chapters that I've read have been filled with powerful facts that are meticulously referenced at the back but contain enough humanity, humour and hope that I've hardly been able to put the book down today.

You might think you understand the history of the T2D / diabetes surge in the last 35 years, but - I promise - you'll learn something surprising and new on every page of this book.

I can't wait to read more.
Thanks sock,I've just read your post and pre ordered Diabetes Unpacked,thanks for the review.

Ian_Laye

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My hardback copy arrived on Saturday morning, not had a chance to read it fully yet but what I have read is very interesting and the dvd is very good.

Potteron

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Read the Jason Fung chapter in bed last night. Just the motivation I needed for today's fast.

'Every organ suffers the long term effects of excessive sugar load. Your eyes rot , you go blind. Your kidneys rot, and you need dialysis. Your heart rots, and you get heart attacks and heart failure. Your brain rots and you get Alzheimer's disease. Your liver rots, and you get fatty liver disease and cirrhosis. Your legs rot, and you get diabetic foot ulcers. Your nerves rot, and you get diabetic neuropathy. No part of your body is spared.'

Just love this guy, no ***** voting around.

Dark Horse

Read the Jason Fung chapter in bed last night. Just the motivation I needed for today's fast.

'Every organ suffers the long term effects of excessive sugar load. Your eyes rot , you go blind. Your kidneys rot, and you need dialysis. Your heart rots, and you get heart attacks and heart failure. Your brain rots and you get Alzheimer's disease. Your liver rots, and you get fatty liver disease and cirrhosis. Your legs rot, and you get diabetic foot ulcers. Your nerves rot, and you get diabetic neuropathy. No part of your body is spared.'

Just love this guy, no ***** voting around.
On the other hand the word 'rot' means to decay by the action of bacteria or fungi. There are no bacteria or fungi involved in theses processes. Although I'm sure that Jason Fung is well aware of this, if a GP was shown this book by a patient who wanted to convince them of the wisdom of LCHF, that paragraph alone could be enough discourage the GP from reading the rest of the book. Replace the word 'rot' with the word 'fail' and you would have a paragraph that is accessible both to the general public and to scientists/medics.