Diabetes with a newborn - waking for feeds

Citygirl

There doesn't seem to be an area of the forum specifically for new parents with diabetes, so I hope there is someone here who can help...

Has anyone else found that if they are high overnight, they do not wake as easily to feed their baby in the night? I knew that I got sleepy when I'm high, but now that I have newborn baby I've realised that I also don't wake as easily if I go high overnight.

Is there anything I can do (other than really try not to go hyper!) to help with this? I'm really worried that my baby will have to get to the screaming stage before I wake up if I am really high.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Citygirl How high are you going? Could it simply be perfectly normal post-delivery tiredness contributing?

I put my baby by my bed in a Moses basket and was ok waking as I seemed to be alert to their every sniff.

If I hadn't woken, I think I'd have tried a vibrating alarm under my pillow so I could wake every few hours to test my BS and check baby.

Citygirl

I was 13.8 - so high but not really, really high. It may have just been tiredness.

Everyone assured me that you will wake up at the slightest noise from your baby, but that night I just didn't.

joanne75

Hi and congratulations, I cant even remember what my sugars were but while breast feeding I know I hypoed a lot, but to be honest I would wake at the slightest whimper so I would just assume you were extremely tired and in such a deep sleep you didn't wake hope it gets better for you :)