Diabetic anorexia

sarsar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
If anyone has this condition please contact me I have been suffering with this for 8 years and in the last 7 weeks have put on 3 stone, I won't go out due to my enlarged stomach I was 10 st 8 and size 12 to 14 now a size 16 to 18 I want to stop the insulin but they told me in hospital I might not be around next time I stop.

Thanks X

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome @sarsar :)

I've moved your thread to the Diabulimia section as there are a number of eating problems discussed in this section. I hope you'll find help and support.

Are you able to tell us a little more about your difficulties?

sarsar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Many thanks let's hope it gets sorted lol . My dad has always from the age of 7 said I needed to loose weight. I've been T1 since 1997 I got it when I became pregnant after giving birth I still had it and 19 years later I'm still T1. 8 years ago I stopped the insulin don't remember why I think I had one of those days and as weeks went on I lost weight, well I couldn't believe it I was eating chocolate and everything else good, in the end I had lost 6 stone in total over this period 7 weeks ago I got rushed into hospital as I was going into a coma they found out I had ketonacidos so it was serious when they weighed me I was 10 st 8 and a size 12 then they changed my insulin and told I must take it as next time I might not come round from a coma so as you can imagine I was shocked. At the moment I'm still taking the insulin but won't go out as I have put 3 stone on in 7 weeks and my stomach has bloated so much it's worse at night and can be painful and no chance in hell of being able to hold it in, I'm doing weight watchers and exercising and in 7 weeks I've not lost anything I can't understand it which is why I need help. I'm so sorry if you have fallen asleep reading this.

Thanks for asking about it.x

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @sarsar I moved your post into your original thread for you :)

As I'm sure you know, stopping insulin is extremely dangerous. There are people here who understand though. Have a read around this section - Diabulimia (which is part of the Type 1 section). I'm also going to tag @sarahpench for you as she knows a lot about it.

As for the weight gain, have you been checked to see if you have insulin resistance? Just a suggestion. Some Type 1s do have that, and take extra meds to help them.

I don't know if you'd feel up to doing so (you don't have to if you don't want to) but could you maybe give us an idea of what you eat in a day?

Bluefromdwed

DWED Support
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi sarsar,

How are you doing now?
I have a long history of diabulimia and have managed to not omit in 3 years.
Initial weight gain is normal, a lot of it is water weight as your body is trying to rebalance.
If you continue with eating regular heaalthough meals and normalising your blood glucose, the weight will most likely reduce and the excess water weight and bloating will go.
Your body will take some time to recover from what it's been though, as your mind will also take time to adjust to what has been a very stressful time for you.
Be kind to yourself, you are worth it.

Reactions: 7 people