Diabetic Biscuits

jenny50

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
my Crohns disease
I used to be able to buy diabetic biscuits in Morrisons, but they stopped stocking them.
I tried Holland and Barratt, no luck.
Does anyone know where I can buy diabetic biscuits, in the Southampton area if possible?
Also why can I only get Franks Diabetic ice cream in vanilla flavour when if I look on their website they do other flavours?
Happy New Year To all :wave:

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
jenny50 said:
I used to be able to buy diabetic biscuits in Morrisons, but they stopped stocking them.
Does anyone know where I can buy diabetic biscuits, in the Southampton area if possible?
Also why can I only get Franks Diabetic ice cream in vanilla flavour when if I look on their website they do other flavours?

Would the biscuits be type 1 or type 2? :lol:
Joking apart there is no need to buy or eat anything with diabetic written on it. The products contain the same amount of carbs as non diabetic stuff.
The only difference in ingredients is the sweetener, which will give you the runs for your money :shock:

Snodger

happy new year jenny50, have you tried Boots? They still stock diabetic biscuits and sweets as far as I know. Not ice cream though.

There's quite a strong campaign against 'diabetic' foods from Diabetes UK and diabetes health professionals, and most diabetics will say what CarbsRok did about there being no need for 'diabetic' products. I suspect that has affected the sales at places like Morrison's so the range of foods on offer has decreased over the years. Do check the carb values on the packets as CarbsRok suggests, especially with biscuits (lower carb ice cream is, I think, easier to make than lower carb biscuits). however, if you still would like the products, the best thing to do is probably contact your local Morrison's and let them know you'd like them to stock it. They may well listen!

Grazer

I understand the points made against diabetic food, BUT, don't a lot of us use artificial sweeteners in tea/coffee? And don't we follow low-carb recipes from people like Whitbyjet which use artificial sweeteners? What about the rave reviews from people (including me) about her chocolate recipes using artificial sweeteners? So what's wrong with using manufacturer's food containing artificial sweeteners (diabetic food)? If they use a type of sweetener that gives us side-effects, why can't they use the types of sweeteners we use? By the way, I've used diabetic foods and never get stomach problems. They don't all taste bad either - thornton's diabetic milk chocolate tastes good. I'd like to see the pressure to stop "diabetic" foods stop, and instead see pressure for manufacturers to produce diabetic food at a reasonable price using ingredients we can all live with.

Snodger

yay Grazer! I 100% agree with you. I should have been braver in my post.
I have been guilty in the past of eating diabetic foods as if they were carbless, which is obviously not a good idea, and that's why I'd always say 'check the carbs on the packet'. But you are quite right. Most of us drink diet lemonade (etc), which could easily be labelled diabetic lemonade. I also prefer some of the 'diabetic' jams because they tend to have more fruit in, and are therefore tastier.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
jenny50 said:

I don't buy products labelled diabetic anything so can't advise on which high street shops stock these items, if you type 'diabetic biscuits' in the Google search I am sure you'll find a long-list of products available to order.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. There is little problem with artificial sweetners such as aspartame, saccharrin, sucralose etc but many 'diabetic' foods contain Maltitol and similar. These are still high'ish carb and are a laxative, so these foods are best avoided.

Grazer

Daibell said:
Hi. There is little problem with artificial sweetners such as aspartame, saccharrin, sucralose etc but many 'diabetic' foods contain Maltitol and similar. These are still high'ish carb and are a laxative, so these foods are best avoided.

They are quite high carb, but the theory is that they are much lower GI than sugar. Seems to work - I don't get any spikes with those substances compared with sugar etc. With regards to the laxative effect, I've never experienced that. I guess that if you eat loads you might, but my view is that you still only have a small amount as you might with non diabetic products, it's just that your BG won't go as high. What I don't do is think "it's diabetic food, so I can eat as much as I like" that's where the problem potentially lies.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Grazer said:
I understand the points made against diabetic food, BUT, don't a lot of us use artificial sweeteners in tea/coffee? And don't we follow low-carb recipes from people like Whitbyjet which use artificial sweeteners? What about the rave reviews from people (including me) about her chocolate recipes using artificial sweeteners? So what's wrong with using manufacturer's food containing artificial sweeteners (diabetic food)? If they use a type of sweetener that gives us side-effects, why can't they use the types of sweeteners we use? By the way, I've used diabetic foods and never get stomach problems. They don't all taste bad either - thornton's diabetic milk chocolate tastes good. I'd like to see the pressure to stop "diabetic" foods stop, and instead see pressure for manufacturers to produce diabetic food at a reasonable price using ingredients we can all live with.

Massive +1

Gary Taubes reckons that all of the health concerns attributed to artificial sweetners come from research financed by the sugar industry.

Grazer

welcome back Borofergie! Hope you had a good honeymoon, and I trust the honey part used artificial sweeteners!

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Daibell said:

It's the Maltitol to which I was refering.
Franks diabetic ice cream has more carbs than the proper stuff as well :)

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks Malc,

It was wonderful. I completely fell off the diabetic waggon for a couple of weeks, but I reckon that if you can't do that on your honeymoon, when can you? Hopefully some of the alcohol knocked the edge off the spikes.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
borofergie said:
Gary Taubes reckons that all of the health concerns attributed to artificial sweetners come from research financed by the sugar industry.

Gary Taubes is a very paranoid individual as are many of his supporters, still it fits in with his odd theories :lol:

Not a snipe at you Stephen, welcome back from your honeymoon :thumbup:

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone!

Totally agree with Grazer on this. The Thorntons chocolate is lovely and the Atkins Indulge coconut bars are also a fave of mine. I do have to go carefully with them though because Maltitol does raise my BG pretty high, although not as bad as sugar. No stomach problems with them fortunately. In answer to the OP, try low carb megastore or avidlite for low carb biscuits - they don't call them diabetic biscuits, but they are exactly the same.

Smidge

Fallenstar

Jenny Hi :D
I have found Sainsburys pretty good for alternative diet needs, if you don't fancy online. I use them for my coeliac stuff ! They are the best for this out of the lot on the high street. I do buy a fair amount of sugar free stuff /diabetic stuff from them also.
I think as much as you can to keep sugar carbs down can't be a bad thing for a diabetic :D :D however you go about it..so bring on the Diabetic produce...but remember what Mummy says everything in moderation!

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sid Bonkers said:
borofergie said:

Gary Taubes is a very paranoid individual as are many of his supporters, still it fits in with his odd theories :lol:

Not a snipe at you Stephen, welcome back from your honeymoon :thumbup:

Thanks Sid. I agree that he is a bit unconventional but it sometimes takes a bit of unusual thinking to stir up the debate.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Let me think, hmmmmmmmmmm...............

The damage done by sugar or the damage done by sweeteners. Hobsons choice?

wiflib

debbiedoodles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Farmhouse bicuits in Nelson Lancs have a factory that makes them. They may be able to mail order not sure. They also make for Harrods and others and are very good :D