Diabetic Coconut Sponge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello all,

i decided to do some baking tonight, i adapted one of my favourite recipes as a sugar free version.
i was diagnosed with type two diabetes around two years ago and found it very frustrating that i could no longer enjoy a piece of cake anymore which is why i adapted the recipe in the first place, i thought id share so others might enjoy it aswell. below is the recipe feel free to try it and leave feedback or leave your own recipe in this thread... remember the more we share the more we help :) although this recipe isnt particularly low carb it can be enjoyed as part of a healthy diet as an occasional treat... enjoy !

Diabetic Coconut Sponge

250g Self Raising Flour
250g Unsalted Butter
25 Tbsp Sugar Substitute (splender ect)
Rind of One Lemon
65g Decicated Coconut
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
100Ml Milk
2 Tbsp Sugar-Free Jam (i found that Strawberry or Damson works best.)

Method:
Cream together the butter and suger substitute until smooth, pale and fluffy. gradually add the eggs into the mixture. fold in the flour. Add the vanilla extract, lemon rind and Decicated coconut. finally add the milk and stir until combined into a thick batter. divide evenly between two greased, lined cake tins and bake in the oven at 250 degrees or gas mark 7 for 20 minutes or until a scewer can be inserted into the center and comes out clean. wait to cool and peel paper from the cakes. spread with the sugar free jam and serve.

serves 8. 1/8 of the cake has 3 grams of sugar and 31.25 grams of carbohydrates.

i hope you enjoy this recipe and again feel free to share your own :) happy baking.

angelbite11687

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Strikes me as too much butter & carb. I suggest leaving out the flour completely, & replacing with a mix of ground almonds, soya flour , oat bran, not forgetting baking powder.

I use the 'minute muffin' recipe (search 'muffins'), which allows experiment without wasting ingredients. I find its always edible, & am improving all the time.

I've just made a choc sponge for a little diabetic girl coming to our church club.
ground almond - 50 ml
soya flour 30 ml
cocoa 30 ml
Splenda 30 ml
baking powder 1 tsp
mix dry ingredients thoroughly in a small bowl
1 egg
oil 30 ml
mix thoughly
1 dsp water - for soft 'dropping' consistency
MW on full for 1 1/2 mins
loosen edges & tip out on a rack to cool
About 100 g - 4 g carb, 1 g per portion.

All sorts of variation possible - I leave out the choc & sweetener - add bran, & spices, milled nuts & it makes a useful v low carb 'bread.' (Its bread, Jim, but not as we know it.) Double the quantities & double the cooking time.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Ian
Google "Torta de Santiago"
it's an almond based Spanish cake. It would modify I suspect. Replace sugar with sweetener, add coffee etc.

I do it for Birthdays( mine is just coming up
As for recipes coming up on the forum,
There are only a few things I actually don't like to eat., Shellfish, which I don't trust and dessicated coconut, which I loathe among them.
So if anyone bakes with the cocnut, I have to adapt it.
Hana

banjo brunette

Hi Angelbite
hope the following is a typo? 25 Tbsp Sugar Substitute :?

Otherwise, though I'm on a low carb diet myself, I'm always pleased to see cake recipes...
Cheers, BB :D

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
hiya yes the sweetner should have been 15tbsp instead of 25 sorry :) to the above statements i would agree that the recipe could be substituted with almond meal i however prefer to make it as authentic as possible. i am myself on a low carb diet but only use this recipe as an occasional treat i wouldnt have it as an everyday indugence :) always happy to recive constructive critisism though. anyone who has a more low carb freindly recipe feel free to add it here, all the best
angelbite

belinda rea

hi angelbite

i am in the process of making your coconut cake for a friend but i can't see the amount of eggs on the recipe! is 100ml milk correct? also would it be ok to add cocoa powder as he likes chocolate sponge it would be great to have a reply as i have the oven on and half the mix ready!

thanks so much

belinda

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The flour is gonna hit any diabetic, hard. You can actually make a cake based on Coconut Flour, which is much more diabetic friendly. Google Coconut Flour Cake.

(I've posted the recipe on this site somewhere - but it's all over the web and will be easier to find with Google).

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Has anyone got any advice as tothe safety of sweeteners against sugar I have read some horrendous reports about Aspartine .Is it out of the frying pan into the fire.
CAROL