Diabetic courses

Lizzy Loo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was told I'd be referred to the course but in three months heard nothing. Just like I was supposed to be referred for eye screening, but nothing. I'm not particularly worried about my eyes since it was my routine eye test that diagnosed me in the first place and my BG is much better now.

Chin up you will learn a lot on here

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Chin up you will learn a lot on here
Yes. Thanks, I have. TBH I reckon the course would just irritate me because what I've learned here is clearly working for me. It's more that the system doesn't seem to be working that annoys me.

Lizzy Loo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes. Thanks, I have. TBH I reckon the course would just irritate me because what I've learned here is clearly working for me. It's more that the system doesn't seem to be working that annoys me.

The courses are not every ones taste. But worked for me I lost two stone. But can still learn a lot on here

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just like I was supposed to be referred for eye screening, but nothing.
Diabetic retinopathy does not actually affect your sight until the advanced stages so it is worth getting a test to catch it early. I have found that it helps to be proactive with the NHS. Why not phone the surgery and ask when your eye test will be?

Reactions: Debzz_

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Diabetic retinopathy does not actually affect your sight until the advanced stages so it is worth getting a test to catch it early. I have found that it helps to be proactive with the NHS. Why not phone the surgery and ask when your eye test will be?
Thanks. Yes I understand, but it was the start of the retinopathy (micro aneurysms) that sent me to the GP. I will make my own appointment soon, anyway, since the high BG meant my eye test results were invalid and I need to check if I need new glasses.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In Berkshire there is a course for type 2's called Diabetes Education and Awareness (DEAL) which all newly diagnosed are offered. I believe it is open to existing type 2's if they ask for it. It was 2 three hour sessions and would have been very useful if I hadn't had to wait 3 months for a place. Some people are not good at finding things out for themselves and for them the course was vital. For example they had no idea what HbA1c meant, didn't know about the complications of diabetes and had never read the nutrients information on any food items.

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
Thanks. Yes I understand, but it was the start of the retinopathy (micro aneurysms) that sent me to the GP. I will make my own appointment soon, anyway, since the high BG meant my eye test results were invalid and I need to check if I need new glasses.
Had my eyes tested just after I was diagnosed 3 weeks ago - optician requested GP to refer me - surgery lost email ...

stephbospoon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am currently on week 4 of an xpert health course. As I have an eating disorder the food chat has been somewhat challenging, but I have learned a lot and it has been useful for the explanations about cholesterol, how the body produces insulin, carbs etc. I would definitely recommend and the other people in the class are also a great source of support. Can ease the stigma of Type II I think.

Reactions: Lizzy Loo