Diabetic Craft Club

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After @Opalshards hobby thread, I thought I'd start a mini-club for those of us into all types of handicrafts. I know @reidergirl, @Catden and @dawnmc are into making stuff, and I'm sure there are others out there.

A couple of you mentioned opening shops on Etsy and Folksy. You must give us the names so we can support you. I was thinking of doing this as a project for next year. Like my writing, it will only earn me pocket money, but now I'm semi-retired it all helps until I can actually touch my teachers' pension.

Do post pics of your craft projects. I'm we'd all love to see what everyone is up to. To start the ball rolling I'm putting on some pics I've done for family and friends in the past.

Frances pics 002_WEB.jpg Maries picture 1.JPG Maries picture 2.JPG Paula's pictures 001_WEB.jpg Paula's pictures 002_WEB.jpg Pictures 001_WEB.jpg Tuscany Mum's b'day 001_WEB.jpg Frances pics 001_WEB.jpg

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
What gorgeous art, Rosie. Those watercolours are lovely!

Reactions: 2 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Wow I love those. Are you selling them?

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow I love those. Are you selling them?
No, they are hanging on the walls of family and friends. I thought I could do some things like that to sell on Etsy as a project for after September (not that I have even set up an Etsy account yet!). I am pretty much committed to getting crafty items made for our village craft stall in Sept, but I do have loads of picture frames stored in the spare room (2 big boxes of them) which I could upcycle and do pictures for.

However, I also have a third book in my historical novel series to edit, and am half way through a new young adult novel with a time shift element, so I should be getting on with those. I keep telling my husband there is no way I can possibly get a job with all the interests to follow!

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, thieves, users, cruelty, doing the washing up. Lol
;)Great idea @RosieLKH I must get some photos taken of my beaded sets. Love the paintings I did a couple of Acrylic paintings which my son has. I keep asking him to take some photos for me. I knew I should have done it at the time.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
No, they are hanging on the walls of family and friends. I thought I could do some things like that to sell on Etsy as a project for after September (not that I have even set up an Etsy account yet!). I am pretty much committed to getting crafty items made for our village craft stall in Sept, but I do have loads of picture frames stored in the spare room (2 big boxes of them) which I could upcycle and do pictures for.

However, I also have a third book in my historical novel series to edit, and am half way through a new young adult novel with a time shift element, so I should be getting on with those. I keep telling my husband there is no way I can possibly get a job with all the interests to follow!
Well I do think they are worth selling, you have real talent.
I agree about getting a job, it leaves little space for anything else if you can afford not to work.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
10500533_10154353349225527_1777038467486503035_n.jpg

Some of my little bags. Plus a Japanese purse in pink.

Reactions: 14 people

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, thieves, users, cruelty, doing the washing up. Lol
10500533_10154353349225527_1777038467486503035_n.jpg

Some of my little bags. Plus a Japanese purse in pink.

Lovely @dawnmc have you thought about making jewellery rolls as well.
Unfortunately I just bought 2. It may be another string to your bow.

Reactions: 3 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Yep made those, little pull string bags with compartments and pencil and crayon rolls.

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Love the bags @dawnmc ! Jewellery rolls are also a great idea. I have been trying to persuade one of the more sewy ladies on the village stall craft group to try making a dog walking bag. I know exactly what I want. Something with a front pocket with a popper stud closure to carry treats that I can reach easily, and an interior big enough to carry a folded Kong frisby and a small bottle of water, but with a zip so my phone and cars keys don't fall out - oh, and a pocket for those too. Also a pocket on the back for poo bags (new ones). All in a pretty fabric with a contrasting lining and a thin strap to cross over your body from your shoulder. Now there's a project!

Anie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm another crafty person, I make cards and do some art journaling. I love using a gelli plate to so printing. The only problem I have is that I don't have enough time to spend doing these things as I would like. My sister in law and I usually have a craft stall in November at a garden centre to try to make some money for more 'stash' can't upload any photos, it says the file is too big!

reidergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You are all so creative, everything is beautiful,I will have to take some pictures and upload them,though to be honest I feel a bit inadequate seeing all your wonderful creations.

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
After @Opalshards hobby thread, I thought I'd start a mini-club for those of us into all types of handicrafts. I know @reidergirl, @Catden and @dawnmc are into making stuff, and I'm sure there are others out there.

A couple of you mentioned opening shops on Etsy and Folksy. You must give us the names so we can support you. I was thinking of doing this as a project for next year. Like my writing, it will only earn me pocket money, but now I'm semi-retired it all helps until I can actually touch my teachers' pension.

Do post pics of your craft projects. I'm we'd all love to see what everyone is up to. To start the ball rolling I'm putting on some pics I've done for family and friends in the past.

View attachment 5929 View attachment 5930 View attachment 5931 View attachment 5932 View attachment 5933 View attachment 5934 View attachment 5935 View attachment 5928
Great work RosieLKH,
I particularly like the abstract collages - it's evident you have a great eye for colour too.
I look forward to seeing your new pieces. Bx

purplekat

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, X Factor (and all similar shows), soaps (corrie, east enders etc), hot weather
Great idea for a thread! I've not done anything crafty for a while, keep meaning to get back into it. I've done some low level jewellery making (want to advance my skills a bit), I've got candle making supplies sitting by to give that a go, and I've got a notion to make a patchwork quilt (having never attempted a project that big before - probably a bit ambitious).

Would love a pointer towards your already published books @RosieLKH

chloe1

I love doing crafty things, but it's tricky to find time with two little ones to entertain.
I bought a sewing machine about a year ago and made some lovely curtains for the kids bedroom.
Purplekat I have just begun a patchwork quilt using all my kids baby clothes as I just couldn't bring myself to give them or throw them away. Well I have cut out all the squares and interfaced them, and now I haven't touched them. I am hoping this thread will inspire me to get on with it! If I get some done I will put some photos on.
I would love to do something creative when the youngest starts school and I have to go back to work, but wouldn't know where to start.
We've just had our loft done, so I'm hoping there will be room for a desk to put my sewing machine.

Great idea for a thread!

Chloe

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

reidergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We have a family summer project, we are going to recover our old and battered sofa in a patchwork of materials, I'll post photos when it's done.

Reactions: 4 people

reidergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you want to see a pic of my restyled shoes go to Facebook(for some reason it won't let me upload on here)