Diabetic eye screen and cataracts

amber22

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello,
Can anyone tell me how the retinas can be viewed when there are cataracts present?
I had my first diabetic eye screen last February and all was ok.
On Saturday my optician told me I have an early cataract in my right eye so I am wondering what happens in future screens.

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think the answer to this one is cataracts make it difficult for you to see things at a distance looking out, but doesn't prevent cameras or people looking in. I was diagnosed with the start of cataracts in both eyes about 12 years ago. That was just after I had stopped taking statins.

Since then the cataracts have gradually diminished and I have to tell people to look for them. Last retinal scan they weren't mentioned at all because I forgot about them. As I was only 50 when they were first diagnosed at the eye dept. of my hospital, my consultant said they were likely caused by the statins. This is mentioned in several articles but still under investigation.

amber22

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@JMK1954 Thank you for your reply.
Wow! That's really interesting and informative. GPs have been trying to get me on statins on and off for the last 25 years. I haven't taken a single tablet yet.

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Be grateful that you haven't. I also suffered short-term memory problems. It is a real nuisance though, particularly if you have a bus stop where lots of different buses stop, but you keep putting your hand out and stopping the wrong one because your distance vision is shutting down. I think anybody with D has quite enough to contend with without a cataract as well.
I know from relatives that some cataracts develop very slowly, no change in them for years, so you may not have any bother from them for a very long time.
Best wishes,
Joan

Dark Horse

If the cataract is mild or off-centre and/or extra photos are taken, the retinal photos may be assessable. If the cataract is larger and/or central. retinal photos may be unassessable in which case the retina may need to be examined by slit lamp instead.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Can anyone tell me how the retinas can be viewed when there are cataracts present?

I don't know for sure but I'd imagine it will depend on the thickness of the cataract whether they can see the retina's or not.

On Saturday my optician told me I have an early cataract in my right eye so I am wondering what happens in future screens.

They'll just monitor the cataract and will only discuss surgery if it progresses to a point where it hinders your vision, but don't worry if it does get worse as the surgery is painless and quick and over with in 15-20 mims, I had my right eye done about 12 years ago.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I have had cataracts in both eyes, for some time, which I was told recently, that they will need to be removed at some point ! The eye's get a thorough examination, even with cataracts present. Try not to worry too much, take care.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Be grateful that you haven't. I also suffered short-term memory problems. It is a real nuisance though, particularly if you have a bus stop where lots of different buses stop, but you keep putting your hand out and stopping the wrong one because your distance vision is shutting down. I think anybody with D has quite enough to contend with without a cataract as well.
I know from relatives that some cataracts develop very slowly, no change in them for years, so you may not have any bother from them for a very long time.
Best wishes,
Joan

Same here with the buses, I try to remember to take my glasses with me, but I do forget them.................. a lot ! I must dig out my old pair and always keep them in my bag,

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The technician at my first checkup had a bit of an issue which she though was possibly due to light reflection from the replacement lens in my right eye - but not any problem with my other eye with a long term cataract, and had to redo some of the scans. This was done under normal lighting conditions. Second and third reviews were fine and done in slightly darkened rooms with no natural light, and at the last one the girl did actually show me my cataract which showed up a whitish area on the images. You shouldn't need to worry as they do check very carefully to make quite sure that the images they've saved to their computer are "good"!

Robbity

PS Not cataract related but it's worth taking some dark glasses with you as the drops they use in your eyes to dilate the pupils can also make your eyes a but sensitive to (bright) llght for a few hours.