Diabetic Eye Screening?

Type1Wonder_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Recently I've made an appointment with my local doctors to have a eye screening done! But the only day that they had was Monday 20th March at 3:05Pm... However on the 3rd of march I'm going back to college (Night College) 6-9 Pm!

Will I be okay to go to college, Even though college start hours after?

Help!!

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Recently I've made an appointment with my local doctors to have a eye screening done! But the only day that they had was Monday 20th March at 3:05Pm... However on the 3rd of march I'm going back to college (Night College) 6-9 Pm!

Will I be okay to go to college, Even though college start hours after?

Help!!
You should be fine.

The typically procedure is merely a couple of photos of the back of your eyes with a camera so the only "issue" you might have is your eyes readjusting after the flash...

Some people (typically those older in their years) need to have eye drops applied so may have blurry vision for a few hours after. I'm yet to require drops and I'm 26. So if you're younger than me, then you'll probably be fine:)

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm going to cry. I had to have eye drops. Does that make me... OLD? *Sobs*

They never even looked at my eyes first, just threw the drops in and told me to wait 15 minutes for them to work.

@Type1Wonder_ , you should be fine if you have the drops. My eyes were only sensitive for maybe an hour afterwards.
I didn't mean to cause offence @mahola:)

I still don't even know why they use the drops... is it something to do with the quality of the photo?

Reactions: mahola

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The drops make your pupils dilate so they can get a better picture of the back of your eyes.

I looked like I'd dropped a few Es and been up raving for 4 days.
Standard practice for a Thursday morning retinal screening. It's how I prep myself for routine diabetic examinations:)

D

Deleted member 308541

I have always had eye drops when the optometrist / ophthalmologist wants to dig deep into the depths of my eyes.

It takes several hours for the eye drops to wear off, no driving at all is recommended in this time frame.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The drops make your pupils dilate so they can get a better picture of the back of your eyes.

I looked like I'd dropped a few Es and been up raving for 4 days.

Lol ! I always think I look like that after the drops :)

Dark Horse

In England the diabetic eye screening is based on a dilated examination so dilating eye drops are expected to be given to everyone, regardless of age. In Scotland, the screening done slightly differently and drops may only be used for people with small pupils e.g. older people.

The point of the drops is to dilate the pupils so that enough light from the camera flash enters the eyes to give good, clear photos. If the photos are too dark, sight-threatening retinopathy might be missed. Sometimes the photographer may attempt to compensate for dark photos by taking extra photos so that the images can be 'jig-sawed' together.

Reactions: Type1Wonder_