Diabetic gastroperesis

danielcvs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all.
I'm a 37 yo type 1 diabetic.
I have suffered from "non-digestion" of food for several years.
I have not yet resolved the problem, but i'm trying to deal with it in order to avoid the pain.
Here's what i learned:

1) I can eat a good amount of food, and that food may take a long time to digest; so i have to wait until the digestion is over (placing my hand in my stomach allows me to see if my tummy is still full or not) in order to eat again.
That was my problem: i didn't wait and the second food intake would paralyze my stomach.
Even taking a cofee 15min after lunch would paralyze the digestion process.

2) When my digestion stops, there's only two ways of getting rid of the problem: either the food gets digested, in which case i have to wait painfully, or i put my fingers in my throat and vomit ALL that is inside. The second solution is the one that works best for me and really stops the problem at hand.

3) i used to take boxes of digestives like Rennie, Mallox or Kompensan, but it does nothing to help, because the problem is a full halted stomach, so the anti-acids won't work, they will only make the situation worse.

That is my experience, but now i have a question for you:
I need to get a lot of Carbs so i can gain weight (i've lost a lot of weight due to this problem), i even want to go to a gym but this digestion problem is limiting me in that effect.
Do you know any easily digestible carb i can take? I tried Cornflour mixed with milk or water, but it is raw flour and it blocks the digestion also. If i could cook the flour it would be more digestible, i think. Any recipes/industry products/ideas?
Thanks.
I have severe Gastropereis and the only food that doesn´t cause me any troubles is Chinese Food.! Really...

Endofthesky

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Annie I am a 34 year old type 1 diabetic. I’ve been diabetic since the age of 18 and I never really started getting the support for it until I were about 24.

Since then the UKs leading endocrinologist and diabetician has been tending to me. I’ve learned a lot about gastroparesis in the last 2 years.

I’ve been suffering from the symptoms for 3 years and about 2 years ago my constant started to suspect I had gastroparesis.

I started on lots of medication some seemed to work for a little while and then stopped and others didn’t work at all. I have stomach pains and sickness and sugar levels up and down because of the motility rate of my digestion.

My gastroenterologist has finally confirmed after eliminating everything else that it is gastroparesis. He has said there isn’t much else they can do except try to manage the symptoms. My biggest problem is the incontinence. I soil myself day and night and have very little control, so I was asked if I would like to try Octreotide, an injection that is off licence. It was an injection a day that had some very bad side affects but the hope was after a short course this would help ‘reset’ my bowels. This didn’t happen. In fact it made me a lot worse, very high and very low sugars and no tolerance to glucose and it was taking me 2 to 3 hours to come out of a hypo.

Unfortunately with gastroparesis there isn’t much to treat it but more to treat the symptoms and make a person comfortable but Sheffield university hospital are the pioneers of gastroparesis and I am finding more out each month and what other treatments can be tried. I’m seeing my consultant in a mo this time after he has had another discussion with sheffield.

Happy to chat with your son and talk with him about feelings and symptoms. It sometimes helps knowing that your not alone... it can be tough!