1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, Royal Holloway, University of London are conducting a study to understand how people with diabetes create and share knowledge online. Get involved here »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Diabetic gastroperesis

Discussion in 'Diabetes Complications' started by annie999, Apr 20, 2013.

1. danielcvs

danielcvs Type 1 · Member

I have severe Gastropereis and the only food that doesn´t cause me any troubles is Chinese Food.! Really...

2. No2D

No2D Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Some suggestions from Dr R Bernstein:
    Chew gum for 1 hour after eating
    Walk for 1 hour after eating, both help move the food through. Assuming one can walk and chew gum at the same time.
    Eat smaller more frequent meals, for example 4 to 6 meals a day
    Eat protein for breakfast and lunch NOT dinner, it tends to plug and don't eat a big dinner
    An exercise to help pass food: suck in the gut as far as possible then push it out as far as possible; repeat until the muscles are exhausted, may be 100 reps. As the number of reps increase the effect will improve results.
    Get an R-R Interval Study to determine if it's the vagus nerve or something else like blockage in the stomach
    There are also certain foods that cause problems to be avoided.
    In his book "Diabetic Solution" chapter 22 has about 25 pages on the subject

3. Endofthesky

Endofthesky Type 1 · Newbie

Hi Annie I am a 34 year old type 1 diabetic. I’ve been diabetic since the age of 18 and I never really started getting the support for it until I were about 24.

Since then the UKs leading endocrinologist and diabetician has been tending to me. I’ve learned a lot about gastroparesis in the last 2 years.

I’ve been suffering from the symptoms for 3 years and about 2 years ago my constant started to suspect I had gastroparesis.

I started on lots of medication some seemed to work for a little while and then stopped and others didn’t work at all. I have stomach pains and sickness and sugar levels up and down because of the motility rate of my digestion.

My gastroenterologist has finally confirmed after eliminating everything else that it is gastroparesis. He has said there isn’t much else they can do except try to manage the symptoms. My biggest problem is the incontinence. I soil myself day and night and have very little control, so I was asked if I would like to try Octreotide, an injection that is off licence. It was an injection a day that had some very bad side affects but the hope was after a short course this would help ‘reset’ my bowels. This didn’t happen. In fact it made me a lot worse, very high and very low sugars and no tolerance to glucose and it was taking me 2 to 3 hours to come out of a hypo.

Unfortunately with gastroparesis there isn’t much to treat it but more to treat the symptoms and make a person comfortable but Sheffield university hospital are the pioneers of gastroparesis and I am finding more out each month and what other treatments can be tried. I’m seeing my consultant in a mo this time after he has had another discussion with sheffield.

Happy to chat with your son and talk with him about feelings and symptoms. It sometimes helps knowing that your not alone... it can be tough!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook