diabetic medication for type 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi i could really do with some help i have been diagnosed with type 2 about 7 or 8 months and i have tried all the pills ie glicazide, metformin and a couple of others and i have had bad re-actions to them all so i am not on medication and trying to control it with diet alone and struggling, i have been told i should go onto insulin injections but i have problems with taking most drugs i always get a re-action i am a migrain sufferer and was put on sumatriptan self injection pen about 12 years ago that very nearly killed me and left me disabled so you can understand why i am worried about injecting anything, has anyone had re-actions to insulin if so how bad and what can i expect ? any advice would be helpful

C

catherinecherub

Hi,

I'll bump your post up in the hope that someone can answer your queries about insulin and a possible reaction.

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not sure diet alone will make that much difference, but diet and exercise combined seems to work for several of us. Regarding reactions to medications, with metformin at least, the slow release version seems to cause a lot less problems.

I can't talk about insulin as I've not reached that stage yet, although with my family history its a safe bet that it will get me eventually.

hi i could really do with some help i have been diagnosed with type 2 about 7 or 8 months and i have tried all the pills ie glicazide, metformin and a couple of others and i have had bad re-actions to them all so i am not on medication and trying to control it with diet alone and struggling, i have been told i should go onto insulin injections but i have problems with taking most drugs i always get a re-action i am a migrain sufferer and was put on sumatriptan self injection pen about 12 years ago that very nearly killed me and left me disabled so you can understand why i am worried about injecting anything, has anyone had re-actions to insulin if so how bad and what can i expect ? any advice would be helpful

Hello Norman,
Try this approach.
1. Get a glucometer. There are 3 times you can take your readings. (a) Empty stomach in the morning i.e Fasting BG (b) 2 hrs after a meal i.e PP BG (post prandial) (c) and any time of the day i.e random
2. Get your HBa1C done. Monitor after every 3 months
3. Get a chart of the Glycemic Index of foods, especially the ones you eat or would want to eat. Eat low glycemic index foods. Keep the fibre in every meal. Stay away from packaged and processed foods.
4. Keep the Glycemic load down. In lay man terms that means portion control.
5. Get a fitness tracker and walk at least 10,000 steps. If you do not have any other complications that is. Check with your doctor before embarking on any strenuous exercise regimen.
6. After you can or may be you can now, walk in the range of 10,000 plus steps, do HIIT on alternate days. High Intensity Interval Trg. But this you must do only after you have achieved adequate control over your BG. HIIT in a hyperglycemic condition, can adversely affect kidneys and other organs.
If you do the above, you can control without medications.
8. No stress and Good sleep.
Bye

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Norman,
Try this approach.
1. Get a glucometer. There are 3 times you can take your readings. (a) Empty stomach in the morning i.e Fasting BG (b) 2 hrs after a meal i.e PP BG (post prandial) (c) and any time of the day i.e random
2. Get your HBa1C done. Monitor after every 3 months
3. Get a chart of the Glycemic Index of foods, especially the ones you eat or would want to eat. Eat low glycemic index foods. Keep the fibre in every meal. Stay away from packaged and processed foods.
4. Keep the Glycemic load down. In lay man terms that means portion control.
5. Get a fitness tracker and walk at least 10,000 steps. If you do not have any other complications that is. Check with your doctor before embarking on any strenuous exercise regimen.
6. After you can or may be you can now, walk in the range of 10,000 plus steps, do HIIT on alternate days. High Intensity Interval Trg. But this you must do only after you have achieved adequate control over your BG. HIIT in a hyperglycemic condition, can adversely affect kidneys and other organs.
If you do the above, you can control without medications.
8. No stress and Good sleep.
Bye
Hi @santosh philip ,

You're responding to a post that's almost 6 years old. I hope the original poster has found their answers by now. And ah... Your info's a tiny bit out-dated. (Glycemic index is more useful to T1's who might have to split insulin doses. For a T2, a carb is a carb, basically.)

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ might be of interest?

Reactions: jjraak