Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
the heat
weighed me on broken scales
went and got another set and id lost 2kg since i was at the drs last week
asked if i knew about the diabetic diet and i told her pretty much like slimming world but less carbs
she angrily said 'you are not taking this seriously' and drew a plate and what i should have
1/3rd veg 1/4 carbs (bread, rice, pasta. potatoe and cereal and 1/3rd with meat and dairy
i looked at her and said 'yep slimming world'
i then said carbs aint good in large amounts and she said i needed them in order to lose weight
she then started about my weight (i am over weight and need to lose quite a few stone) but what annoyed me was she was the same size as me
i then mentioned testing my own glucose and she hit the roof saying that on metformin id never have a hypo and dont need to be testing and to stop testing because she didnt want me too
next time i go ill see my reg nurse who ive been seeing for years

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry you had this experience.
Unfortunately, it is an all too common one for newly diagnosed Type 2s, and if we take the advice at face value, it sets us on a very unfortunate path.

Am delighted that you found this forum, and the good advice you will get here. :)

Reactions: Rosiegough_

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done for losing so much weight already. That shows you are taking it seriously. :) Stick with us.

I went to Slimming World just for the weigh in for 6 months. I lost over 10% of my bodyweight whilst following LCHF during that time. :)

licklemoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
the heat
Obviously that diabetes nurse knows nothing about diabetes or losing weight. :banghead:
shes only at my surgery for a few more weeks, i think shes standing in for a while as they are short staffed

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
asked if i knew about the diabetic diet and i told her pretty much like slimming world but less carbs
she angrily said 'you are not taking this seriously' and drew a plate and what i should have
1/3rd veg 1/4 carbs (bread, rice, pasta. potatoe and cereal and 1/3rd with meat and dairy
i then said carbs aint good in large amounts and she said i needed them in order to lose weight
she then started about my weight (i am over weight and need to lose quite a few stone) but what annoyed me was she was the same size as me
i then mentioned testing my own glucose and she hit the roof saying that on metformin id never have a hypo and dont need to be testing and to stop testing because she didnt want me too
Hi @licklemoose ..
Sadly, this sounds like standard procedure but if I were you I would simply ..
# Listen
# Nod
# Smile and say thankyou
# Ignore
I certainly wouldn't waste my time or energy arguing with her or trying to explain .. bottom line is that she's wrong and you're right to continue doing what works for you .. and she has no position or authority to tell you what or what not to do

licklemoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
the heat
Sorry you had this experience.
Unfortunately, it is an all too common one for newly diagnosed Type 2s, and if we take the advice at face value, it sets us on a very unfortunate path.

Am delighted that you found this forum, and the good advice you will get here. :)
i allways seek advice from sufferers rather than the 'qualified professionals' because half of them dont have a clue

Reactions: Rosiegough_

licklemoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
the heat
Well done for losing so much weight already. That shows you are taking it seriously. :) Stick with us.

I went to Slimming World just for the weigh in for 6 months. I lost over 10% of my bodyweight whilst following LCHF during that time. :)
thank you, i went to slimming world last night for weigh in and lost 6lb and finally after months of getting nowhere fast got my half stone award and slimmer of the week as lost 9lb last week

licklemoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
the heat
Hi @licklemoose ..
Sadly, this sounds like standard procedure but if I were you I would simply ..
# Listen
# Nod
# Smile and say thankyou
# Ignore
I certainly wouldn't waste my time or energy arguing with her or trying to explain .. bottom line is that she's wrong and you're right to continue doing what works for you .. and she has no position or authority to tell you what or what not to do
i allways listen and agree until i walk out the room then poor hubby gets it lol
i once had an endocrinologist tell me to stop thyroid meds for 6 months to see how i felt
his reasoning was i get palpitations on thyroxine and he wanted to see if they would stop...........NO WAY id be bed bound

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @licklemoose ..
I think you are missing out the last bit ...
# ignore
I completely understand the frustration and anger when faced with such nonsense from the "experts" who are supposed to be helping us .. but you will feel better (and, I guess, so will hubby ;)) if you can just let it go over your head and carry on with what works for you

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was suspicious of the weight going up and down so I carried out a test. With various nurses to see I can be called to one of three rooms at the surgery. One day I went to see the DN and said, "Just give me two minutes". I went to all three rooms, barged in and weighed myself. The spread was 5Kg.

Previously they had insisted that they weigh me with their accurate and calibrated scales. They are, in fact, bog standard analogue scales where you can twiddle a little wheel to upset them which I suppose someone had.

I might have got onto this earlier but under normal circumstances with weeks between weighings I thought it was all my fault.

licklemoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
the heat
Hi @licklemoose ..
I think you are missing out the last bit ...
# ignore
I completely understand the frustration and anger when faced with such nonsense from the "experts" who are supposed to be helping us .. but you will feel better (and, I guess, so will hubby ;)) if you can just let it go over your head and carry on with what works for you
oh yes deffinatly ignore
i learnt the hard way over the years and now i know better
i'll also continue monitoring my glucose levels despite her telling me not to, if i dont test my anxiety will go through the roof and i have a dr that supports me in many things so i think he will let me continue testing

licklemoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
the heat
I was suspicious of the weight going up and down so I carried out a test. With various nurses to see I can be called to one of three rooms at the surgery. One day I went to see the DN and said, "Just give me two minutes". I went to all three rooms, barged in and weighed myself. The spread was 5Kg.

Previously they had insisted that they weigh me with their accurate and calibrated scales. They are, in fact, bog standard analogue scales where you can twiddle a little wheel to upset them which I suppose someone had.

I might have got onto this earlier but under normal circumstances with weeks between weighings I thought it was all my fault.
the scales i was weighed on yesterday had me at almost 2 stone lighter than at slimming world
some may like that but ill stick to the SW scales
5kg is a lot and the scales they use are supposed to be accurate

Reactions: Snapsy

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
the scales i was weighed on yesterday had me at almost 2 stone lighter than at slimming world
I always checked my SW weight with my scales at home and always found them to agree. Those in my GPs surgery though vary a lot.

Rosiegough_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Evil beings. Destroying our beautiful Planet X
This rings a bell with me x they talk rubbish x

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
two stone are more than 12 kg isn't it? They seems to me totally unreliable scales and I am wondering why they're using broken ones.

By the way I have just bought a new scale for home becuse the old one sometimes goes awry and puts totally wrong numbers and comared to the new one has a 400-900 g error.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We don't talk about how I eat when I see my nurse she is just happy that whatever I do is working. If I had a nurse like you described then I would not argue with her about how to eat or if I should test or not I would just nod and agree with what she said then go home and do the thing that I know works for me

Reactions: Snapsy and zand