1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Diabetic retinopathy... what to do?

Discussion in 'Diabetes Complications' started by Alex_B, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Alex_B

Alex_B Type 1 · Well-Known Member

When I saw my optician she said I was "starting to get Diabetic retinopathy" I don't know what to do with this information, I am hoping to get some glasses at the weekend, as she said I will have to wear them all the time, but what happens if it gets worse, my eyes go blurry most of the time and it worries me, to the point where I don't want to open my eyes in the morning in case I can not see anything. Will the glasses help? And if they don't will I have to have laser eye surgery? I don't really want that.

2. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi Alex, don't panic if this is the case it can be reversed, when's your next eye screening test on the NHS as this will determine for sure what's going on ? Blurry eyes and high blood glucose control go together, the excess glucose can impact on your vision so this wouldn't be connected to the retinopathy if there is indeed any.

3. Alex_B

Alex_B Type 1 · Well-Known Member

12 months time it says on the prescription thing.

4. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

• Like Like x 1
    #4 noblehead, Aug 29, 2017 at 11:09 AM
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  5. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

As @Juicyj says the early stages of retinopathy do not affect your eyesight which is why it is important diabetics have their annual scan to catch it before it becomes noticeable. High blood glucose affects the shape of your eye which does affect your eyesight. If you can control your BG better your eyesight should improve so it is probably not a good idea to buy expensive glasses until you are sure your eyesight has stabilized. Was this your annual retinopathy scan with drops to enlarge your pupils or just a normal eyesight test?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook