Diabetic retinopathy... what to do?

Alex_B

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I saw my optician she said I was "starting to get Diabetic retinopathy" I don't know what to do with this information, I am hoping to get some glasses at the weekend, as she said I will have to wear them all the time, but what happens if it gets worse, my eyes go blurry most of the time and it worries me, to the point where I don't want to open my eyes in the morning in case I can not see anything. Will the glasses help? And if they don't will I have to have laser eye surgery? I don't really want that.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi Alex, don't panic if this is the case it can be reversed, when's your next eye screening test on the NHS as this will determine for sure what's going on ? Blurry eyes and high blood glucose control go together, the excess glucose can impact on your vision so this wouldn't be connected to the retinopathy if there is indeed any.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Last edited:
Reactions: azure

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I saw my optician she said I was "starting to get Diabetic retinopathy" I don't know what to do with this information, I am hoping to get some glasses at the weekend, as she said I will have to wear them all the time, but what happens if it gets worse, my eyes go blurry most of the time and it worries me, to the point where I don't want to open my eyes in the morning in case I can not see anything. Will the glasses help? And if they don't will I have to have laser eye surgery? I don't really want that.
As @Juicyj says the early stages of retinopathy do not affect your eyesight which is why it is important diabetics have their annual scan to catch it before it becomes noticeable. High blood glucose affects the shape of your eye which does affect your eyesight. If you can control your BG better your eyesight should improve so it is probably not a good idea to buy expensive glasses until you are sure your eyesight has stabilized. Was this your annual retinopathy scan with drops to enlarge your pupils or just a normal eyesight test?